MM5 import of MM4 DB (where DB is in custom location)

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

jonwestuk

MM5 import of MM4 DB (where DB is in custom location)

Post by jonwestuk »

Hi,

Trying to get MM5 up and running but not having much luck. I have used MM4 for years and recently did a full Reset on my OS (Win 10). Now my MM4 install (including the .ini and DB) is typically on my D drive. For whatever reason I messed up when I installed MM4 again and put it on my C drive. Upon installing MM5 and being greeted with the import settings wizard at which point I realised my error and with the import screen left on, I quickly uninstalled MM4 and reinstalled to the correct location. Not sure what to do with the MM5 import screen, I ended the task.

When I fired up MM5 again it took quite some time to load, but then I didn't get the import wizard again. I tried uninstalling MM5, deleting the data in Apps-Local folder and removing registry keys and reinstalling - no luck (maybe the wizard looks for the standard DB location in the user file?

I then tried moving the db of MM5 using the command line and put the MM4 DB into the MM5 DB location. Now MM5 just sits at 8% CPU usage forever.

So my question - is there a way of getting the import wizard to work without having to install MM4 into the standard locations and faking the whole thing?
Ludek

Re: MM5 import of MM4 DB (where DB is in custom location)

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
if you install MM5 as standard (non-portable) then the MM5.DB location is:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\

To re-activate the import wizard you would need to delete whole '\MediaMonkey5\' folder and start MM5.

Allernativelly just delete MM5.DB from there and copy the MM.DB (from MM4) and MediaMonkey.ini there.
Then start MM5 and it will use your MM.DB (renamed to MM5.DB).

If it doesn't work for some reason then please share your MM5.DB with us to analyze (via eSupport ticket).

Thanks!
jonwestuk

Post by jonwestuk »

Thanks for the response. I did try removing the MM5 MM.db and replacing it with the MM4 db - but the application just hung indefinitely (6hrs). I have gotten it to work however with the same db, by installing MM4 in the default location, copying the old MM.db to the default location; starting MM4 once; then reinstalling MM5. MM5 then did quickly accept the db and install it.

To me there seemed to be a difference between the wizard import and the process that ran when I simply applied a MM4 db over an existing mm5 db.

thx anyhow. J
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

To me there seemed to be a difference between the wizard import and the process that ran when I simply applied a MM4 db over an existing mm5 db.
Strange, the wizard import also just copies the original MM.DB , renames it to MM5.DB and uses it.
Do you still have the version of MM5.DB that hungs for you ?