Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Re: Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Post by drakinite »

Hiya, thanks for the input! So as for your addon must-haves, would you mind posting them here? https://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98012
There's a lot to do, but I'd like to continue to get an idea for what addons we can focus on bringing to MM5. There's a lot of MM4 addons that are very old, but are still used regularly.

As for your other questions:
- I don't really understand what you mean by integrated playlist manager, because MediaMonkey 5 *does* have a ton of things you can do with playlists. Not sure what you're referring to that's missing from MM.
- As for pinning tabs, if you think it'll be a useful feature, maybe consider posting it in the Beta Testing/Bugs/Feature Requests forum, with some more details about your request? πŸ™‚
- As for Spotify, I see the thread you posted, so hopefully we can fix that soon.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

I don't have the ability to add a song to multiple playlists without many clicks. Each time "send to" is not effective. The plugin PlaylistManager is also available. Erwin Hanzl helped me a lot here and expanded the tool especially for me.
A playlist manager should be standard in a music management program. It should just manage the music.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64499

There is even an extended code that Erwin Hanzl created. This means that when a song is added to a playlist, a value is written in the custom field. Very helpful for me and saves me a lot of clicks.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64499&p=478374#p478374

WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden GerΓ€ten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
touriga

Post by touriga »

I only came across MM5 several months ago and switched there and then on the basis of what I saw.
There's no way I'm going to stay with MM4 even if there are things I like in it that don't work the same or as well or even are missing from MM5.

I like very much what I see in MM5 and think the MM team have a great vision. I'm certainly going to keep hitching my wagon to where the future is.

I have used MM4 for 13 years and love it, but in my experience with other enduring small company software houses a major re-write is good thing. You often start out with a backward step, but fairly fast you reap the benefits of the new platform.
Lots of the customisation, scripting and add-on capabilities that you feel passionate about, after a while, don't seem necessary with the new generation platform. You also usually start benefiting from a lot of new more up to date features that would never have made it to the previous version.

So keep up the good work. :D

P.S. I'm going to try and carve out some time to see if I can start providing some constructive beta feedback. I've seen a few stability issues, but to date they are rather unpredictable and providing repeatability beta testing information is quite difficult.
LongTermUser

Post by LongTermUser »

Hello,

just for clarification: users who purchased a lifetime license have to buy MM5 again?

So this page:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -lifetime/

is a lie? (and the meaning of the word lifetime)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, Lifetime License holders don't need to buy a new License they can use their Lifetime License in MediaMonkey 5.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

LongTermUser wrote: ↑Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:56 pm Hello,

just for clarification: users who purchased a lifetime license have to buy MM5 again?

So this page:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -lifetime/

is a lie? (and the meaning of the word lifetime)
what made you think it was a lie???
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
LongTermUser

Post by LongTermUser »

Ah sorry.

It was late evening - I misunderstood or "forgot" that there was a difference between Gold and lifetime licences.

Everything is cool. 8)
paddymcq

Post by paddymcq »

Andre_H wrote: ↑Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:58 am
Weatherman wrote: ↑Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 amMM5 will require a new license fee. MM4 Gold users will not have a free upgrade.
If you buy an iPhone 8, does Apple automatically owe you an iPhone 9, 10, 11 ...?
Is that how it works? :wink:
Your analogy doesn't make sense. Apple doesn't upgrade hardware for free but they do upgrade software for free.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

paddymcq wrote: ↑Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Your analogy doesn't make sense. Apple doesn't upgrade hardware for free but they do upgrade software for free.
Unless your hardware doesn't support the upgrade - often the case - and then you have to buy a whole new iPhone to get the upgrade - clever of Apple, eh?
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Weatherman wrote: ↑Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 amMM5 will require a new license fee. MM4 Gold users will not have a free upgrade.
If you buy an iPhone 8, does Apple automatically owe you an iPhone 9, 10, 11 ...?

Compared to the range of functions, I think the price for MMW5 is very reasonable (for the price of the lifetime license, I couldn't go out to dinner with 2 people once). Just my 2 cents.
Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: ↑Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Then it might make sense to post your specific problem here instead of writing "still can't" ... ?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Andre_H wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:02 am
CosmicKnowledge wrote: ↑Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Then it might make sense to post your specific problem here instead of writing "still can't" ... ?
MMA results in sync failure on NW-A105. I've sent logs from within the application. Let's look at that for starters.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 pm MMA results in sync failure on NW-A105. I've sent logs from within the application. Let's look at that for starters.
Then it would be better to report it in corresponding MMA forum (or enter a support ticket)
including the log ID so that the colleague developing MMA can look into it.
Thanks!

EDIT: Just seeing that you already entered here: viewtopic.php?p=480286#p480286 -- so let's continue there.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: ↑Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm

Compared to the range of functions, I think the price for MMW5 is very reasonable (for the price of the lifetime license, I couldn't go out to dinner with 2 people once). Just my 2 cents.
Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Definitely not. I hope that we will be able to help fix those errors you're running into, because I understand how frustrating it can be to be a paying user when functionality simply does not work. The vast variability in hardware and software configurations can be difficult to manage for a small software team, but it's something we can do our best to slowly iron out.
Heck, for the first few months of me using MM5 (as a user), I spent my time delving into the code, even writing some of my own fixes for the UI bugs. :yum:
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
sigike

Post by sigike »

I have a lifetime gold licence, but personally I like MM4 more... I switched back to MM4. I find the overview more clearer
Boose, drugs... And probably Sex is all I need at a party!!