Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Weatherman

Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Post by Weatherman »

I've seen a couple of posts alluding to how I feel about MM5. As a gold user of MM4, I have been playing around with MM5 now and then. Since the important thing for developers - in order to keep on developing - is money, which comes from users buying the product, I think it is time we had some basic sales and spec information, rather like the comparison charts you see with other software.
Is MM5 an upgrade of MM4 or a different product?
What can MM5 do that MM4 cannot do - and vice versa.
Which version is better for the audiophile who wants to simply listen?
Which version is better for the compulsive chronologer of stats?
Which version is most customisable?
Which plugins and scripts are common to both versions and which aren't?

It's time to start engaging with the public as to why they should buy Mediamonkey, and which version is right for them.
For the last 4 years this has seemed like nothing more than a hobbyist activity for the few, and this needs to change.
Lowlander

Re: Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey 5 is an upgrade to MediaMonkey 4. It is a complete rewrite to prepare for a cross platform future as well as contains bug fixes.

What's new/different: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 7s_New/5.0
Shared Addons/Plugins: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... onkey-4-5/

Which is better, is a personal evaluation.
Weatherman

Post by Weatherman »

"Which is better, is a personal evaluation."

Which is precisely the point of my original request. How can we evaluate when we don't know what it does, how it does it, what's left in from MM4 and what is left out?
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Weatherman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:34 pm "Which is better, is a personal evaluation."

Which is precisely the point of my original request. How can we evaluate when we don't know what it does, how it does it, what's left in from MM4 and what is left out?
Try it ... that is how you will know what it does
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Weatherman

Post by Weatherman »

dtsig wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:20 pm
Weatherman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:34 pm "Which is better, is a personal evaluation."

Try it ... that is how you will know what it does
MM5 will require a new license fee. MM4 Gold users will not have a free upgrade. Therefore, simply saying "try it", as if it was the customer's job to search, to experiment, to discover, without any explanation or guidance from the vendor, is hardly the most attractive advertising method or a great incentive.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Weatherman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 am MM5 will require a new license fee. MM4 Gold users will not have a free upgrade. Therefore, simply saying "try it", as if it was the customer's job to search, to experiment, to discover, without any explanation or guidance from the vendor, is hardly the most attractive advertising method or a great incentive.
MM5 was free for any GOLD user past 4 years during development see viewtopic.php?p=430319#p430319 and exactly 4 years after first public Alpha at viewtopic.php?p=475986#p475986 upgrade license is announced and explained. If anyone do not want to wait for free upgrade email can file Sales support ticket and provide information on purchase and we will handle/evaluate each individual request.

You can easily compare MM4 and MM5
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rusty

Post by rusty »

I personally find MM5 to be a big step forward for many of the reasons described in the what's new link that Lowlander shared (but then I'm biased) ;-) . Once we release MM5, the website will be updated and there'll be more marketing info about MM5. The main reason for continuing with MM4 would be if you depend on certain addons that aren't yet available on MM5.

To answer your questions:
- Is MM5 an upgrade of MM4 or a different product? It's an upgrade, that includes major rewrites.
What can MM5 do that MM4 cannot do - and vice versa. Please se the what's new document linked above.
- Which version is better for the audiophile who wants to simply listen? Both work fine.
- Which version is better for the compulsive chronologer of stats? MM5 has improved metadata management functionality / lookup tools.
- Which version is most customisable? Both are very customizable through addons. ATM, there are more addons for MM4 than for MM5, but we expect this to change with tim.
- Which plugins and scripts are common to both versions and which aren't? The addons site is organized to show which addons are MM4-only, which are common to both, and which are MM5 only.

What I want to remind anyone seeing this thread is that:
1) Anyone who has bought a Lifetime Gold license can continue using it with MM5
2) Anyone who has bought a 4.x Gold license from 2020+ will get a free upgrade to MM5
3) Anyone who bought a 4.x Gold license earlier is eligible for a major discount
4) Although MM4 will not be regularly updated after MM5 is released, you can continue using it

And if you do decide to upgrade to MM5, thanks for supporting the ongoing development of MediaMonkey!

-Rusty
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Weatherman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 amMM5 will require a new license fee. MM4 Gold users will not have a free upgrade.
If you buy an iPhone 8, does Apple automatically owe you an iPhone 9, 10, 11 ...?
Is that how it works? :wink:

Compared to the range of functions, I think the price for MMW5 is very reasonable (for the price of the lifetime license, I couldn't go out to dinner with 2 people once). Just my 2 cents.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
berni

Post by berni »

I have the Lifetime version of MM 4 and I'm enthusiastic about MM 5. So there was no question that I would buy a Lifetime version for it too, although it wasn't necessary. Such a program does a lot of work and it needs to be paid and the price with a discount is really very fair.
Thanks for the very good work, berni
My Homepage
Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2
Prozessor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Systemtyp 64-Bit-Betriebssystem, x64-basierter Prozessor
MediaMonkey 5.1.0.2819
Weatherman

Post by Weatherman »

To Andre_H
To answer your rather facetious question, no, of course I don't expect a free Iphone 12 just because I bought an iphone 11. That wasn't the point of mentioning the cost.
The point of mentioning the cost is that, if Mediamonkey would like me to buy their new upgraded version of a programme, it would help if they explained in layman's terms, the differences and advantages of the new over the old.
Using your analogy of the iphone, this is what Apple and other brands do...they tell you why you should upgrade, what will be better, what will be different.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Hi Weatherman, my answer was actually meant ironically rather than trying to poke you seriously :wink: ... you are absolutely right!

I also had difficulties testing the full functionality of MMW5 with the free version, because it is quite limited (what i completly understand, because, yes, it's for free; means more "I would have preferred a functionally unlimited, but time-limited version of MMW5" to check it out) ... but I haven't regretted buying the Gold / Lifetime so far ...
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

berni wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:06 am I have the Lifetime version of MM 4 and I'm enthusiastic about MM 5. So there was no question that I would buy a Lifetime version for it too, although it wasn't necessary. Such a program does a lot of work and it needs to be paid and the price with a discount is really very fair.
Thanks for the very good work, berni
Umm, lifetime means lifetime. Gold Lifetime gives you access to every upgrade along the way. Software companies LOVE to screw you by forcing you pay over and over and for upgrades while they drop support for what you paid for. At least MS has the decency not to charge you for there latest attempt at MONOPOLY with this horrible POS Win 10, the worst OS they ever released, a real ****fest!
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

rusty wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:06 pm I personally find MM5 to be a big step forward for many of the reasons described in the what's new link that Lowlander shared (but then I'm biased) ;-) . Once we release MM5, the website will be updated and there'll be more marketing info about MM5. The main reason for continuing with MM4 would be if you depend on certain addons that aren't yet available on MM5.

To answer your questions:
- Is MM5 an upgrade of MM4 or a different product? It's an upgrade, that includes major rewrites.
What can MM5 do that MM4 cannot do - and vice versa. Please se the what's new document linked above.
- Which version is better for the audiophile who wants to simply listen? Both work fine.
- Which version is better for the compulsive chronologer of stats? MM5 has improved metadata management functionality / lookup tools.
- Which version is most customisable? Both are very customizable through addons. ATM, there are more addons for MM4 than for MM5, but we expect this to change with tim.
- Which plugins and scripts are common to both versions and which aren't? The addons site is organized to show which addons are MM4-only, which are common to both, and which are MM5 only.

What I want to remind anyone seeing this thread is that:
1) Anyone who has bought a Lifetime Gold license can continue using it with MM5
2) Anyone who has bought a 4.x Gold license from 2020+ will get a free upgrade to MM5
3) Anyone who bought a 4.x Gold license earlier is eligible for a major discount
4) Although MM4 will not be regularly updated after MM5 is released, you can continue using it

And if you do decide to upgrade to MM5, thanks for supporting the ongoing development of MediaMonkey!

-Rusty
"Once we release MM5" SO, what are the big improvements with 5? Maybe you consider us STUPID customers leaving an improvement, because you do not answer your own posted questions?! What FEATURES or added function makes the customers life better and 5 superior according to your "unbiased" MM view?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Umm, lifetime means lifetime. Gold Lifetime gives you access to every upgrade along the way. Software companies LOVE to screw you by forcing you pay over and over and for upgrades while they drop support for what you paid for. At least MS has the decency not to charge you for there latest attempt at MONOPOLY with this horrible POS Win 10, the worst OS they ever released, a real ****fest!
Yes: lifetime means lifetime, but it doesn't mean that the product won't evolve. You can continue to use your Gold Lifetime license on MM4 if that's what you prefer, or you can use it on MMW5 which has many more features but has lost some that weren't as popular--with the confidence that we listen to our customers and will continue to try to meet their needs in MM5. (EDIT: note that in contrast to a 'Lifetime' license, a '4.x' Gold license will not work on MMW5).
"Once we release MM5" SO, what are the big improvements with 5? Maybe you consider us STUPID customers leaving an improvement, because you do not answer your own posted questions?! What FEATURES or added function makes the customers life better and 5 superior according to your "unbiased" MM view?
MM5 is currently in beta testing. It's in beta testing in order to collect feedback and improve the product before we release it. That's why all the marketing information on our website currently describes MM4. The 'what's new' document that I linked to above, is part of the still-evolving MM5 documentation. It provides a summary of the major changes in MM5. Did you read it?

-Rusty
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

I haven't been with MediaMonkey that long and have a lifetime license.
I am satisfied with version 4 and do what it should. Unfortunately it has to be expanded with plugins. These do not work in version 5 and it will take a long time until there are some.
- I will not switch to the new version for the time being. I'm missing too many things that should basically be included in a music management system.
- Why is there no integrated playlist manager? Part of the basic equipment for me!
- Why can't tabs be pinned to the top for a specific function?

Oh, there are a few more. I am sticking to version 4 for the time being because I am very satisfied with the extensions and the help of Erwin Hanzl.
Last edited by 1001Musik on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra