why is mm5 trying to access my router and multicast [#17638]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

astro46

why is mm5 trying to access my router and multicast [#17638]

Post by astro46 »

I get repeated attempts from mediamonkeyengine.exe to access 192.168.0.1, which is my wi-fi router control panel.

Also repeated attempts to access 239.255.255.250 and 224.0.0.251 which is for multicast devices and gateway discovery.

why is it doing this?
Lowlander

Re: why is mm5 trying to access my router and multicast

Post by Lowlander »

Both DLNA and Chromecast discovery of clients and servers on your network.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes,

239.255.255.250 => SSDP discovery to get list of UPnP/DLNA devices on the LAN : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Se ... y_Protocol
224.0.0.251 => mDNS to get list of Google Cast capable devices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 pm Yes,

239.255.255.250 => SSDP discovery to get list of UPnP/DLNA devices on the LAN : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Se ... y_Protocol
224.0.0.251 => mDNS to get list of Google Cast capable devices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS
there aren't any google cast devices or multicast devices that I have set up on my system. (iac, if I were to think of installing something like that, wouldn't be anything google related MM assumes that everyone is connected to google privacy invasion?).
Will MM5 be continually searching to 'refresh' its settings? Where is the setting to disable these scatter shot searches?

How about the attempt to access my router?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

What do you mean by continually searching?

I guess that MM5 is searching for the devices just on:
- app start (to find MMS instances)
- when you access the 'Device & Services' node to get the list of available media servers
- when you access the 'Folders' node to get the list of available media servers
- when you click the cast icon to get list of devices that are available for casting
Where is the setting to disable these scatter shot searches?
You can delete UPnP.dll from the MediaMonkey install folder, but in that case whole DLNA/UPnP related stuff (like 'Media Sharing' and Wi-Fi sync) won't work for you. Also casting won't work then.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:39 pm What do you mean by continually searching?

I guess that MM5 is searching for the devices just on:
- app start (to find MMS instances)
- when you access the 'Device & Services' node to get the list of available media servers
- when you access the 'Folders' node to get the list of available media servers
- when you click the cast icon to get list of devices that are available for casting
Where is the setting to disable these scatter shot searches?
You can delete UPnP.dll from the MediaMonkey install folder, but in that case whole DLNA/UPnP related stuff (like 'Media Sharing' and Wi-Fi sync) won't work for you. Also casting won't work then.
continually searching, as in repeatedly, every 15 minutes, whatever, looking for updated data.
I haven't accessed 'device and services', or the 'cast icon'. In fact, all i have to do is start the program and requests for access start.

i do access 'folders' . I don't have media servers. not even sure what that includes. I have one folder on a local drive that holds music.
Perhaps MM5 needs an option to turn off the presumed use of media servers, google devices, cast devices, etc, etc. why use app and processor time uselessly pursuing something that doesn't exist? Do most MM users have large media networks operating?

deleting upnp.dll doesn't sound like a good idea. if i should decide to use some function that depends on it, it would be a problem also, every update is likely to reinstall it. its a bandaid.

I notice still no reply to question about accessing my router.

perhaps a MM5 developer can offer some insight on these questions.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no harm in this and only has minimal overhead. This is simply the method DLNA, Chromecast as well as iOT (unrelated to MediaMonkey) operated on a home network. Players and Servers advertise they are available as well poll for anyone else available. This has no measurable impact on your network speed or the speed of MediaMonkey itself.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Why do I have the feeling that you are missing the point?

I am not interested in Chromecast, have no desire to have it running on my system. Sounds like you are indicating that MM5 has integrated Google software into MM5 and users have no choice about running it.

And there is still the unanswered business of MM5 attempting to get into my router.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

We understand, the solution to this has been offered by Ludek by deleting UPnP.dll (something you need to repeat each update) from the MediaMonkey installation folder.
astro46

option to turn off MM5 attempts to access wi-fi router

Post by astro46 »

I don't know why it would be doing this, but it it. Suggestion is to remove the action or provide option to disable it.
astro46

option to turn off MM5 polling for chromecast, multicast

Post by astro46 »

I don't why integration of google software is default in MM5, but I have no need for it using resources to access wi-fi looking for other devices to try communicating with. I don't have any google devices or any other devices to multicast to. This sort of thing would dissuade me from using MM5.

Either remove this component (offer as an addon?), or provide option to disable it.
Barry4679

Re: option to turn off MM5 polling for chromecast, multicast

Post by Barry4679 »

astro46 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 pm I don't why integration of google software is default in MM5, but I have no need for it using resources to access wi-fi looking for other devices to try communicating with. I don't have any google devices or any other devices to multicast to. This sort of thing would dissuade me from using MM5.

Either remove this component (offer as an addon?), or provide option to disable it.
I think that this is a reasonable request.

Would I turn it off? ... No I wouldn't.

The last time I looked into my LAN I found it to a be a very busy noisy environment, with signals flying around from everywhere, to everywhere. ... A bit alarming at first, but network throughput and response times are good, so it doesn't seem to matter.

I think that it is reasonable for someone to be concerned about privacy issues.. ... eg there is some current concern about the LastPass android app, which has been found to include three trackers ... probably innocent, but I am investigating switching away from LastPass due to this issue.

I have been with MediaMonkey long enough to trust them, but it is valid to be less relaxed (less lazy?) about this ... if that is the basis of your concern?
  • I didn't like it when earlier releases of the MM5 beta required that I entered by Google password into a MM5 generated screen, if I wanted to Sync to Google.
  • And I didn't like it when MM5 required access to my whole Dropbox data store, instead of just a MM folder in the Dropbox app sandbox.
Both of these things were fixed.
IMO it would be reasonable if this request of yours was fixed also, so that people could use MM5 without worrying about what else it was doing.

A couple of points:
  1. MM5 is not assuming that you have Google apps or devices. it is not integration with just Google, the application has become more net & web aware; it integrates with Dropbox or One Note, or Sonos devices, etc ... these are good features for many people, and it seems OK that it be on by default
  2. There could be a negative support impact if this on|off switch was implemented ... ie. it is yet another question that the customer has to be asked when they report that things are not working
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Barry4679, thanks for your comment.

MM5 may integrate with Dropbox, Onenote, etc, though I don't recall seeing this referenced in Options, or the firewall notifying me of attempts to connect out to them. I checked options. Didn't see an option to disable Chrome (google) oriented integration. When I don't respond to the request to 'call out' it keeps asking.

I have little connection between devices in my network. I have setup being able to access some folders between different computers, but use that rarely. The computer with music is in one room, used only for music, and is connected to the only sound system. All the checking for chromecast devices is pointless. Perhaps some day I will want to access the music files from a different computer in a different room. I'll deal with the settings when/if that happens. and likely won't involve chromecast.

and yes, all the 'phoning out', especially being google oriented calls, creates suspicion.

and, there is the question of mm5 attempting to access router control panel. but that is a separate thread.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

astro46 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 am MM5 may integrate with Dropbox, Onenote, etc, though I don't recall seeing this referenced in Options, or the firewall notifying me of attempts to connect out to them. I checked options. Didn't see an option to disable Chrome (google) oriented integration. When I don't respond to the request to 'call out' it keeps asking.
I am probably confusing things by conflating Dropbox, OneNote etc with the LAN activities that are the subject of your thread.
I said that I looked at my LAN traffic, but I didn't say that understood much of it :)

MM5 does find my SONOS units using UPnP Search and multicast. I don't know, but I thought (guessed) that Chromecast was using the same protocol.
So my main point was that MM5 wasn't forcing you to accept implementation of some nasty Google specific thing into your LAN, as you seemed to be thinking. It is implementing a mechanism that is applicable to various makes of smart speakers, TVs and Media Servers.

You can see MM5's Dropbox, OneNote, etc stuff inside the Media Tree's Devices&Services node in the Storage & Services section.

It allows MM sync to various web locations. So you can sync your collection to a web location, meaning you can use your collection and MM playlists. when away from home, with MM5. I presume that they will do something with MMA when it is upgraded to catch up to MM5.

Some of the shine has been knocked off the facility, for me, when Google closed down their Google Play Music service.

Google Play Music allowed you to store. and stream from, up to 50,000 of your own tracks at no cost. ... MM5 allowed sync of your Google library, with your MM library. So you could extend the concept of "your music collection" to include both tracks from Googles streaming library, as well as the tracks that you own ... ie. all integrated together; track your play history, and make playlists, and play it from wherever you wanted to. ... And it was better than just a bare folder at a web location, because it implemented a Media Server that you could stream from.

Google migrated all customers, and their uploaded tracks, into YouTube music. But MM hasn't be able to integrate MM5 with Youtube Music at this stage.

MM5 does integrate with Spotify, but I haven't been able to test that, as I have no account there.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Re: option to turn off MM5 attempts to access wi-fi router

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please tell us Partial IP address what MM5 tries to access eg. 239.255.xxx.xxx port 1900 for example?

Also If you open support ticket supply us debug log as described at viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 we can tell you details about what MM5 tries to access.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts