[SOLVED] MMW5 saving found artwork and iPod Touch showing it

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

FrankC

[SOLVED] MMW5 saving found artwork and iPod Touch showing it

Post by FrankC »

MMW4 has the option to save missing but found artwork, under Tools > Options > Library | Metadata Lookup > When viewing artwork | Save missing artwork automatically. But MMW5 does not. How should I proceed with MMW5 then? I only have a Gold license for 5 (especially bought for this purpose).

This is my situation:
Due to a rather poor m4a -> mp3 conversion program (SoundTaxi), I have more than 1000 mp3 songs with missing artwork (of the 5500 total). I had MMW5 Gold look them automatically, via Side menu > Music > Files to Edit > Unknow Artwork > clicking the top song.

That went fine. MMW5 went through the list by itself, and as far as I can see, found the artwork for all songs. But it did not save them. How should I proceed? I want the images saved to the tag.
Last edited by FrankC on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold
Computer: Win10 Pro 64b
Phone: Samsung A50 (Android 11) w/ Samsung Music and MM Android Pro
iPods: Touch 4th Gen, Nano 2nd Gen, Nano 4th Gen
iPad: Pro 2020
All software current on updates
Lowlander

Re: MMW5 does not automatically save found artwork?

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Metadata Lookup has an option to both lookup the Artwork and update the tags . Are you saying that with both enabled the Artwork isn't saved? If so, which build (Help > About)?

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ternet/5.0
rusty

Post by rusty »

Note also that when you use auto-tag, it saves the Album Art in the format defined in Library > Tags and Playlists > Artwork, and that in general, when saving Artwork for tracks from different albums that are saved to a common directory, it's a good idea to save the artwork to the Tag (rather than to the folder).

Also fyi, there were some artwork handling bugs that were resolved in build 2325.

Can you confirm if the info above has helped resolve the problem?

Thanks!

-Rusty
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Problem solved, so far! I indeed ticked the option 'Update tags', clicked the top song of the list 'Unknown Artwork' again, and MMW5 went through the list by itself again, saving the artwork to tag for each song.

Good job! :) But I would definitely advise to have the said option ticked by default. Or use the appicable MMW4 menu (part). It's easy to miss in 5.

The final test is whether the artwork will also be transferred to my iPod Touch, which I use in my car (and which is the reason why I like all songs to have artwork, as that is shown on the car's display). But I trust that will go well, too.

Thanks. :)
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold
FrankC

Re: [SOLVED] MMW5 does not automatically save found artwork?

Post by FrankC »

Addendum:

The Ipod Touch wouldn't display the artwork, and neither did the Ipods Nano. I had made a backup of the songs before adding the artwork, so I could do it anew. I did, now with the setting Tools > Options > Tags and playlists | Tags | Store MP3 file properties using > ID3v1 and v2.3 tags (default is v2.4 tags). That worked.

That may sound like a few hours work, but including the time that I spent finding out why the iPods wouldn't display the added artwork, it took me some four afternoons. So please, MM, would you do new users a huge favor and set the default to v2.3? In MMW4 the default setting is v2. At least you should add a question mark behind the setting, and display the full information when clicking it.

Thank you.
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I don't think that the settings of ID3 tag versions influences artwork sync to iPods.
Artwork is synced another way to iPods, so it should be really independent from the ID3 settings.

Are you sure that it was not a test error? Can you re-test please? I can see artwork on my iPod Touch despite the v2.4 tags default.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Ludek,

Did you add artwork? That’s what this is about. Also, when I opened MMW5, connected the iPod to my computer, and selected a song on the iPod with added artwork with MM, MM would show the artwork. But the iPod would still not. So, the transfer went alright, it was just a matter of the iPod not displaying it. And all my iPods had the same problem.
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like you're editing the files directly on the iPod, instead of on your PC and then Sync. Sync takes care of the iPod's method of handling Artwork.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Lowlander,

No. I added the artwork with the iPod Touch disconnected. It wasn’t even near, it was in my car. I added the artwork with the PC and then synced the iPods.

And why would it not be possible for iPods of the 4th generation and below to have problems with v2.4?
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Apple doesn't read Artwork from tags, when Syncing Apple devices have their database updated and also should take care of Artwork directly. This is different from most devices where the device would need to gather Artwork and tags from the files.
FrankC

Re: [SOLVED] MMW5 saving found artwork and iPod Touch showing it

Post by FrankC »

Lowlander,

I'd think that that's only true if you let iTunes find the missing artwork and then transfer the package of music and image files from iTunes to the iPod. Even songs bought in the iTunes Store nowadays seem to come with the artwork embedded in the tag. That becomes quite clear if you look at the folder of the several songs.

And one thing is for sure: I let MM save the artwork to the tag. Which it indeed does: right-click song > Properties > Artwork | Image text says: Stored in tag. That's the case for all songs that I had MM find missing artwork for.
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

So if you right-click the track with artwork > Send to > iPod (sync)
and see the track directly on the iPod's screen (Music app on iPod), are you saying that the artwork is missing if the original track had ID3v2.4 tags?
That would be really surprising especially for iPod Touch as it has iOS and the artwork needs to be transferred another way to the iPod -- and also older iPods does not read artwork from file tag, but from special directories where MM needs to prepare the images during sync.

Could you please re-test and write here the exact iPod model that you have tested + double-check that ID3v2.4 settings has impact on this?
Also please be sure that the artwork in MM isn't shown as "unsaved" (with the save icon).
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Ludek,

I've got a very busy week coming, but I'll let you know when I've come around to it. My preliminary answer would be: yes, I checked en double-checked it.
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold