Speed of MM5 vs MM4

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

SlamdogUK

Speed of MM5 vs MM4

Post by SlamdogUK »

Hi all.

Just an observation but to me MM5 is considerably slower than MM4. I know I have a large database (1.8Tb, 140,000 audio files) and it is mounted on a network drive (in fact my network domain file server) but MM4 was almost instantaneous for deletes and edits whereas I am constantly waiting for MM5 to catch up. Nothing has changed network wise, the server is on Gb ethernet, the drive for music is a 7200rpm drive and the os is server 2016. Nothing has changed to the network hardware either so the only change has been from MM4 to MM5.

I would have all the files locally but I have run out of room on my machine for internal drives and the files are available 24/7 for the rest of the family to use. My machine is also used for video work so I don't need it to be streaming music when I am trying to wring every last ounce of performance out of it in a render.

Are there any tips to speed up MM5 or is it a case of wait until the code is fully optimised and out of beta?
Lowlander

Re: Speed of MM5 vs MM4

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried rebuilding the database?

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... aintenance
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I have opposite behavior (excluding UI which do not have any terms with actual file management and access). As Lowlander said I've done full DB rebuild after I migrated MM4 -> MM5 (approx 200k of tracks) and navigating, browsing, quick search is much faster in MM5 (MM5 uses updated Indexing/Full text search SQLite engine.

I agree that at some parts MM5 appears/acts slower, but MM5 engine is 5 years in developing and MM4 is almost 20 years in developing in terms of optimizations and MM5 still is not published.

That said as you know only way something to be fixed is that we know it is broken and that we can replicate it consistently. Which means that MM5 is faster and will be much faster than MM4 very very soon.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, can you please indicate in which view and node the MM5 acts slower when editing / deleting tracks ? Is it a large 'List' view ?

Could you please catch this in a debug log (item 4b here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 )

Thanks!
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

SlamdogUK wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:06 pm Hi all.

Just an observation but to me MM5 is considerably slower than MM4. I know I have a large database (1.8Tb, 140,000 audio files) and it is mounted on a network drive (in fact my network domain file server) but MM4 was almost instantaneous for deletes and edits whereas I am constantly waiting for MM5 to catch up. Nothing has changed network wise, the server is on Gb ethernet, the drive for music is a 7200rpm drive and the os is server 2016. Nothing has changed to the network hardware either so the only change has been from MM4 to MM5.

I would have all the files locally but I have run out of room on my machine for internal drives and the files are available 24/7 for the rest of the family to use. My machine is also used for video work so I don't need it to be streaming music when I am trying to wring every last ounce of performance out of it in a render.

Are there any tips to speed up MM5 or is it a case of wait until the code is fully optimised and out of beta?
MediaMonkey5 is universally slower in every conceivable way:
- syncing is painfully slow and doesn't even work - ever. Been helping these guys with logs and isolating errors for months but new problems always appear.
- The GUI is PAINFULLY slow. Compare it to native Windows apps like MusicBee and you'll see an 80% drop in rendering speed. Vertical scrolling can't even keep up so there is horrible tearing. It's all because of the ambitious, but bad design choice, of using a web browser as the GUI.
- Syncing takes an eternity after files are compressed and transferred. It takes a day (literally) to do the final syncing step of removing unused media files. I've mentioned that all sync data should be stored in an array and then deleted as matched in an array rather than scanning the filesystem itself, which is a dirt slow process going one file at a time.
- Auditioning new music is a TOTAL PAIN now compared to MM4. I used to have a custom toolbar with since click choices for Mood, Tempo, Occassion, and Quality. Well, you don't have that ability in MM5. So I have to click, and re-click, and then click again to get the drop down combobox in the appropriate column because the interface lags and is not very responsive. Things just take 2-5x more clicks to accomplish than before. It's just really crappy GUI design (and GUI technology choice).

I'm really tired of dealing with all these problems as a paying customer. I bought MM and MMA and nothing works - ever. There are too many bugs and I don't like being an unpaid beta tester. You guys have tried to fix many of these problems but new ones always appear and as of today, not a single device I have syncs properly.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Are you using the newest build 2333 RC-7 ?

Seems very curious that not a single device synces properly for you, can you ensure that you are using the newest MM5/MMA builds, enter it as a new topic with a greater details of what is failing to sync and generating debug log (item 4b here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ) ? Supposing that you are syncing with MMA then all sync data are in a single database and MM5 does not scan the whole storage for files. As for the step of removing unused media, this can be slow during USB sync because of general Android's bug of rebuilding internal's media list after a file is deleted and making MTP frozen (which can be workarounded by using Wi-Fi sync), maybe you are referring this issue? But hard to see without seeing a log.

Thanks!