[SOLVED] MMW5 not updating changes to custom tags in FLACs?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

F1nchy

[SOLVED] MMW5 not updating changes to custom tags in FLACs?

Post by F1nchy »

Hi guys
I've just started using MM5 instead of MM4. I'm making use of the additional 5 Custom tags, but for some reason MM5 doesn't seem to be updating the actual files with the changes. I presume it should update them straight away? They show as updated in MM5, but when I look at the actual files in Explorer or MP3Tag they still have the existing ones.

I realised it wasn't updating them because I use Syncback to manually backup my music to my NAS and an external USB and when I ran the backup it didn't identify any changed files.

Is there a setting I need to tick to make it update data in the actual FLAC files, other than Options > Library > Tags & Playlists (which does have it set to update tags when editing properties).

Annoyingly I spent a few hours updating in MM5 before I realised none of them are updated in the files.....!

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: MMW5 not updating changes to custom tags in FLACs?

Post by Lowlander »

Which build (Help > About) are you using?

Are you saying that Custom 6-10 aren't saving to the files? Are you changing a value or adding values to empty custom tags?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Might be related to https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17724 where files with no file attribute set (i.e. without "A" attribute) could not be accessed for any writing?
F1nchy

Re: MMW5 not updating changes to custom tags in FLACs? [#17724]

Post by F1nchy »

MM version 5.0.0.2293

It's mostly Custom 3 and 4 I've changed, but also added some for Custom 6 and 7. I also changed a number of the normal genre tags but none of them of have updated either.

All my music is on my desktop and MM5 is on my laptop, but I doubt it's a permissions issue; it's always been like that and MM4 always updated them OK, and I can edit them easily from my laptop with MP3tag, File Explorer, etc.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

F1nchy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:10 am All my music is on my desktop and MM5 is on my laptop, but I doubt it's a permissions issue; it's always been like that and MM4 always updated them OK, and I can edit them easily from my laptop with MP3tag, File Explorer, etc.
Not permission issue, consequence of bug, where files without any attributes cannot be tagged, will be fixed in the next build. Try to edit properties of such file in File Explorer and add attribute "A" (for archiving), I think it will work then.
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Hmmm. That's not done it. I added the archive atribute on all the folders and subfolders but it's still not doing the changes. Any ideas? Should I roll back to an earlier version?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Could you generate debug log for us? Description here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
So run DbgView, then run debug version of MM5, then add some tag to one file, save debug log and send me? You can use any file sharing service and PM me link, thanks.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Just an fyi: once the issue is resolved, you should be able to update files' tags from the database using Tools > Edit tags > Update tags.

The debug log should help us get to the bottom of this.

-Rusty
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

MiPi wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 am Could you generate debug log for us?
So run DbgView, then run debug version of MM5, then add some tag to one file, save debug log and send me? You can use any file sharing service and PM me link, thanks.
OK, thanks. Running DbgView and then opening MM5 gives a lot of log data, presumably because I have it set to monitor files and it does a complete scan when run; do you need that? Would you rather I disable the file monitoring? Or do you want me to run DCGView after MM5 has started and done its initial scans?
rusty wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 am Just an fyi: once the issue is resolved, you should be able to update files' tags from the database using Tools > Edit tags > Update tags.

The debug log should help us get to the bottom of this.

-Rusty
Phew! That looks like a very useful tool to have!
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

According to log, it seems to be variant of this: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17692
Files are not accessible for writing because of file sharing rights.
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

OK. But I have ownership and full permissions on them, and I can edit, delete, change, etc them in other apps from my laptop. I can't really see anything I can do to change the permissions. Or does MM use a specific user account?
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Ah, you're right. I originally had my music on my NAS and a backup copy on my desktop but I switched them around and I think the backup program added specific permission restrictions on the backed up files (which are now the main files). I've removed all permissions and reinstated them and it seems to be updating them now. I'll report back if I have any further issues! Thanks