Monitor is very slow compared to MM4

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

rJenx

Monitor is very slow compared to MM4

Post by rJenx »

First I would like to say the MM5 interface is a great improvement and generally I really like what you have done with MM5. A couple of niggles which I am sure will be resolved over the next few months, but I would like to raise one specific niggle right now.

When you start MM5 the monitor takes ages to scan the library, its much, much slower than MM4. I am running MM5 on a XPS 13 laptop with i7 processor, 8 GB of memory and Windows 10. The library is on a Synology NAS via gigabit wired network and contains around 13K of songs. Its taking around 34s to scan 100 songs.

Is there something I can do to improve the performance of the scanning?
Peke

Re: Monitor is very slow compared to MM4

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What file types are in question?
I have similar setup with exception I use QNAP and scan speed is bit slower, which considering tht MM5 also reads extended tag fields an improve scanning of video files it is more than reasonable.

Can you please compare clean portable installs of MM4 1919 and MM5 2402 on same set of folders?

Note to start clean test say no to all first time start wizard prompts.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Scanning speed MM4 vs MM5 should be nearly the same.
I've just tested re-scanning single folder with 1000 files and the re-scan takes less than 2 seconds (both MM4 and MM5), but I am talking about the situation when the files are already part of the MM library and it is just checking whether there is a new/modified file that needs (re-)scanning.

Couldn't it be caused by different settings?
e.g. Options > Library > [x] Update file info from tags when rescanning file
-- [ ] Only for files with changed timestamp or size
[EDIT by Rusty: or Options > Volume leveling > [x] Automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed files]
?

Is it slower for you just in case of continuous monitoring or also when you re-scan the same folder/location via the Add/Rescan dialog?

Also maybe when your NAS is sleeping and needs to wake-up then it could take longer because of the time needed to wake up from the sleep?
If you are sure that you have same settings and testing same folder/location (MM4 vs MM5) then capturing scan in the debug log should shed some light on it (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 )
Ideally logs from both MM4 and MM5 to compare.
rJenx

Post by rJenx »

Thanks, sorry its been awhile since you posted.

I had volume levelling turned on, although MM5 is still a little slower than MM4 I think its within acceptable limits.

Appreciate the help and thanks again.