What does "Analyse waveform" do? [#16723]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tempo

What does "Analyse waveform" do? [#16723]

Post by tempo »

Simple question, in MM5, I've launched "Analyse waveform" on my whole library out of curiosity. 8 hours later and still going, I'm starting to wonder why. :) Or at least if it's worth doing. What is the point / result of this waveform analysis? What are the benefits? I could see the waveform just fine before doing this. Does it enhance the waveform detail in any way? Save on future processing? I can't find any information on this option anywhere.
drakinite

Re: What does "Analyse waveform" do?

Post by drakinite »

The reason it's there is so that you can quickly preview a tracks' waveforms without waiting a second or two after each one. Without doing Analyze Waveform manually, a track's waveform will be analyzed and calculated once the track is being played.
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16723

For some, it can be worth running the waveform analysis ahead of time, to reduce wait times - Especially with the planned feature involving in-line waveform previews, requested at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=95684

If waiting a second or two for a track waveform to show up doesn't bother you, then there's no use to running analyze waveform on all your files.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
tempo

Re: What does "Analyse waveform" do?

Post by tempo »

Thank you for the clarification!