How can I set ALL views/nodes to LIST view?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tbessie

How can I set ALL views/nodes to LIST view?

Post by tbessie »

Hi all!

I've never been a fan of interfaces with huge icons, huge fonts, etc. I like small fonts, list views, LOTS of info onscreen at once.

With the new MM for Windows, which I'm just trying for the first time today, how can I make it so that by default, ALL nodes/views I go to use the LIST view? I don't want to see album art, big icons, etc. ANYWHERE? Is this centrally controlled, or do I have to select each view and change it in each one?

Also, if I decide I want icons to appear for some views, how can I make them smaller? They are WAY too big for my taste right now...

- Tim
Lowlander

Re: How can I set ALL views/nodes to LIST view?

Post by Lowlander »

You can control image size from the the menu at the right top of the Filelisting.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do what you ask, but once you set it to List it should remember this.
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:17 am You can control image size from the the menu at the right top of the Filelisting.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do what you ask, but once you set it to List it should remember this.
That'd be ok (barely), if it were only the top node in a subtree I had to change. However, from what I can tell, it looks like every single possible subnode in a node tree has to have its view changed.

That's pretty horrible - why can't I change the view on the top parent node of a subtree, and have every child/descendent node inherit the same view? Am I missing something to make it do that? There could conceivably be thousands of descendent nodes.

- Tim
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can't reproduce, changing it for one Album under the Albums sub-node changes it for all Albums under the Albums sub-node.

I'm a List person as well and it isn't that much of a hassle to get setup (doing it as you navigate along).
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:23 am I can't reproduce, changing it for one Album under the Albums sub-node changes it for all Albums under the Albums sub-node.

I'm a List person as well and it isn't that much of a hassle to get setup (doing it as you navigate along).
I'll see if I can duplicate my issue, and upload a video if I can.

I'd still like a general override mechanism for views in the app, but perhaps that'll never be added. If I can do it just by setting all the top tree nodes as I'd like, that could be ok.

I'll report back.

- Tim
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

tbessie wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:18 am I'd still like a general override mechanism for views in the app, but perhaps that'll never be added.
Coming at this from a different angle:
  • MM4 allowed us to define a HotKey sequence for toggling to a specific view (eg. Show Details)
  • this has been lost in MM5
  • if MM5 had the option of assigning a HotKey to each View this problem would be diminished somewhat ... ie. view change is just a keystroke sequence, rather having to pickup the mouse and then wrangle with small dropdown menus
nb: HotKeys would be desirable for custom views also ... so maybe assigned in the Managed Views facility
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:23 am I can't reproduce, changing it for one Album under the Albums sub-node changes it for all Albums under the Albums sub-node.

Ok, this definitely doesn't work. For instance:

1. Click in the tree on "Classical Music" and change it to the List view
2. Click on "Genres" within "Classical Music" - it's still the icon view

1. Click in the tree on "Years" and change it to the List view
2. Click on "1950s" within "Years" - it's still the icon view
3. Change "1950s" to List view
4. Click on a year within 1950s - eg. 1959 - it's still the icon view

So changing a parent node doesn't bubble down to its children.

Are you saying that this doesn't happen for you when you do the above?

- Tim
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

tbessie wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 am So changing a parent node doesn't bubble down to its children.
Are you saying that this doesn't happen for you when you do the above?- Tim
Yes, and then No, in that order. That is the way that MM5 works (atm).
I think that you may have confused LowLander when you said that someone may have to do this "thousands of times" ... so he probably thought that you were staying in a sub-node, and were saying that you had to do it for every album that you opened in that sub-node.

It is not such a big deal for me to do as you describe, because I working mostly with 4 custom collections, and I only use a couple of the sub-nodes. ... As I said before the impact would be reduced if you could toggle to a specific view via hotkey, as you could in MM4.

Since you are only using a single view, you are not really the person that MM5 has been designed for.
It is designed for some who does something like:
  • uses Browser view at the top of the collection
  • uses Grid By Album in the Albums sub-node
  • and uses List By Album in the AlbumArtist sub-node
That kind of person is going to be happy that each sub-node has it own view memory

Since you are always in List view, you could just use the All Tracks sub-node the whole time ... but you probably have your lists setup with different sort sequences and different columns displayed for each sub-node?

I agree with the general point that the MM5 is new, and is lacking in some customisation options that would make it better. They have a lot of options, but I think that they are missing key ones. ... For my Use Case MM5 is better than MM4, but is not (yet) optimal.

It is difficult for them, eg. the customisation that you are asking for would not be anywhere near the top of my list.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

tbessie wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 am Lowlander wrote: ↑Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:23 am
I can't reproduce, changing it for one Album under the Albums sub-node changes it for all Albums under the Albums sub-node.

In Genres click on Rock, change to List, click on Pop it has List as View.
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:29 am Since you are only using a single view, you are not really the person that MM5 has been designed for.
Since you are always in List view, you could just use the All Tracks sub-node the whole time ... but you probably have your lists setup with different sort sequences and different columns displayed for each sub-node?
Yeah, I like to use the filtering each node provides, but prefer the view to be the same for all of them - the List view.

I also use MagicNodes quite a lot, though I'm not sure if it's been ported to MM5 yet. If/when it is, I'd also want everything I view to be in List mode.

I realize that my use cases aren't typical - for me, though, I prefer it because it's a lot more information-dense; I can see more info at once if I see one-album-per-list-view-line than one-album-per-browser-icon, for instance.

Perhaps someday the customization I wish will come to the product. I don't have a big reason to upgrade, except for future-proofing. I'll keep checking to see how it's going, to see if my desired changes are added someday. :-)

- Tim
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:22 am
tbessie wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 am Lowlander wrote: ↑Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:23 am

In Genres click on Rock, change to List, click on Pop it has List as View.
That works, I see that now.

I also noticed that the list view isn't what I'd expect - I guess the old staggered list browser (like a Mac's file browser) is what was replaced by the browser view in MM5. I get that now. I was thinking that the List view for Composers, say, could have a single line per composer, and double clicking that would take you to albums-per-composer, something like that.

I probably will be better served by using MagicNodes if/when it comes out for MM5 (might already be there), since I use that more than the standard nodes.

- Tim
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

tbessie wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:56 pm I probably will be better served by using MagicNodes if/when it comes out for MM5 (might already be there), since I use that more than the standard nodes.
The last info on that was that it was not going to happen.
Now that that has been decided by the Developer|Maintainer, maybe someone else will pick up some of the functions, or maybe some of it will be baked into a subsequent release of MM. .. There has been zero info at this point, despite of quite a lot of wishing and hoping from MagicNodes fans like yourself.
nanite2000

How do I change the default columns for list views?

Post by nanite2000 »

Hi,

How do I change which columns are shown by default throughout the application?

I've used 'Manage Views' to change the list of columns in the 'List' view, but this only appears to be applied to the node i.e. the 'Playlists' node seems to use a different 'List' view to the one I configured for the 'Music' node.

And for searches, a different view is used again requiring me to change the columns again.

Is there a way to configure a global 'List' view with my preferred columns?

I am using MediaMonkey v5.0.0.2338 on Windows 10 Pro, Build 19043.1052.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

List is View is different per Collection as although you may want to see Music and Video files in List View, the columns in each will often be different.

I haven't tried, but have you tried with a Custom View?
Peke

Post by Peke »

nanite2000 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 pm I am using MediaMonkey v5.0.0.2338 on Windows 10 Pro, Build 19043.1052.
Also make sure you use latest MM5 Beta from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d as we improved Column handling.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts