Problem with Volume Leveling

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

joa08

Problem with Volume Leveling

Post by joa08 »

Dear forum,

I'm trying for some time now to put volume leveling into work in MM5 but didn't succeed. In MM4, which I have still installed, volume leveling works completely fine. But by using the same files with the same settings (see: https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... VBtXn8Dxzk) on the same system, MM5 just does not consider the replay gain values tagged to the files. Neither gain values per song nor per album are considered; I also tried to use different output plugins, which did not change the issue.

Can it be that there is a general problem with volume leveling in MM5 or am I doing something wrong?
Version used is: MMW 5.0.0.2338.
Lowlander

Re: Problem with Volume Leveling

Post by Lowlander »

It works fine for me. Do the files have know Track Volume values?
joa08

Post by joa08 »

Files are tagged correctly, of course. With exactly the same files no problem occurs in MM4. Seems strange to me. Maybe I should try a reinstall or try upgrading to a more recent version. Will see.
Last edited by joa08 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joa08

Post by joa08 »

Okay, I think I found the trick now. MM5 does obviously only apply volume leveling if a peak value is specified in the file (in this case also clipping protection is possible now). Because I entered the replay gain values for most of my files manually they do not contain the peak values which are created by default in the automatic volume analyzing process. I never missed these peak values because neither software I used by now has ever demanded it to perform volume leveling. I will see how I can get along with this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What did you use to manually enter the values?
joa08

Post by joa08 »

I used MediaMonkey for this which I practically use for all tagging purposes. I never faced any problem with these files so far. They work fine with any player I use, inclusive of volume leveling.

For future use I will maybe redo my files with automatic volume analysis to obtain the missing peak values and will add manual corrections afterwards if necessary.
joa08

Post by joa08 »

Sorry for weighing in again, but after some more experimenting I think to have found the ultimate solution to this problem. The volume leveling in MM5 can behave exactly as in MM4, with the following condition: in the general options the box for Clipping Prevention must be unchecked. In MM4 this box as far as I know only affected the CD ripping process, leaving the replay process untouched. This has obviously changed in MM5.

The fact that clipping prevention is now also applicable to the replay process is of course another progress in the development of MediaMonkey. It was only a little bit confusing to me when switching to the new version. I just didn't expect the program to have become that clever.