Add/Rescan files is clunky in MM5 [#18052 #18117]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

IanRTaylorUK

Re: Add/Rescan files is clunky in MM5 [#18052]

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Use a user defined collection for ALL files in the download folder. Then just one press of F5 required. Use auto-organise to "clear" the files from the defined collection view.

Hope this makes sense.
Ian Taylor
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Good work flow Yarguy
yarguy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:21 am The only problem I have is that Auto-organise is the first menu item under Tools in MM5 and third in MM4 and mouse-memory sometimes betrays me
Teach your muscles to remember Ctrl+L ... the hot key is the same in both MM versions :)
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
terryo

Post by terryo »

I followed yarguy's method until:

"Select the new files and Auto-organize - the mask ensures that the tracks go into the proper folder with the standard format"

At this point I could not find a way to direct the new files to the proper genre folder because my genre folder structure is different than the Genre(s) tag. My library is heavily loaded with international artists, the Genre(s) tag has a much more complicated mixture of genres and countries (separated by semicolons) than my simpler 47 folder structure of genres and regions.

I also do not have a single "new Music" folder. I have folders for industry demos (some by label or promoter), downloads, ripped CDs, folders for music from other DJs by their names... all so I can keep track of the source and prioritize how quickly something moves from my fat collection of audition folders to my library of keepers.

So I am not seeing a way in MM5 with ease comparable to the folder tree in add/rescan that I grew dependent upon in MM4.
terryo

Post by terryo »

An additional complication appeared while mopping up after experiments with yarguy's method.

I tried to move a file in Recently Added from one of my audition folders to a permanent library folder, using cut and paste under Folders in the left pane. This method worked reliably for many similar tasks in MM4.

In MM5, the display in Recently Added still shows it in the original folder even though Explorer verifies that it was moved to a new folder. So MM5 is not updating the Path column after a move has been done within MM5.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

terryo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 am I followed yarguy's method until:

At this point I could not find a way to direct the new files to the proper genre folder because my genre folder structure is different than the Genre(s) tag. My library is heavily loaded with international artists, the Genre(s) tag has a much more complicated mixture of genres and countries (separated by semicolons) than my simpler 47 folder structure of genres and regions.

I also do not have a single "new Music" folder. I have folders for industry demos (some by label or promoter), downloads, ripped CDs, folders for music from other DJs by their names... all so I can keep track of the source and prioritize how quickly something moves from my fat collection of audition folders to my library of keepers.
I don't use folders to organize my collection for use, I use metadata. My mask simply stores the tracks by album name and file name (which includes tracks number), tags do the rest.
terryo

Post by terryo »

With all do respect to yarguy, Barry4679 and IanRTaylor UK, I have 243,000 tracks in my library and there no way in hell I am going to flatten or restructure my file organization or globally modify my tags.

MM4 had a system I used to add/rescan tens of thousands of albums over many years in an easy way that suited 95% of my needs. MM5 eliminated that system.
SusicMnob

Post by SusicMnob »

Totally agree that MM5 add/scan is totally kludged compared to MM4.

I would just drop in new folders and they would be auto-scanned and immediately show up in the library - now i have to completely exit and reopen to see them. They show up in search but won't show up in the list even when sorted by added until I restart.

MM4 seems to have a lot more functionality but less speed.

And trying to just rescan certain subfolders is now a complete mess as it just adds more folders for monitoring unless i re-scan my whole bloody directory.

Much change from MM4 that I did not expect and the look is plain hideous was certainly expecting better skins, not everyone wants or needs black(night) mode 100% of the time
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Lighter Skins are available under Tools > Options > Skins.
SusicMnob wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:44 pmI would just drop in new folders and they would be auto-scanned and immediately show up in the library - now i have to completely exit and reopen to see them.
Are you seeing this on build 2419?
SusicMnob

Post by SusicMnob »

Are you seeing this on build 2419?
I am using 5.0.0.2338 - will update to RC 2419 and see.

I only see one option for lighter skin and only 2-3 options from 3rd parties so far :(

EDIT- Updated to 2419 and same- the open view tab with Artists sorted by Added is not refreshed after music is added. If i open a new tab it reflects the newly added music. - the older tab isn't refreshed with the newly imported music until restart- and essentially reopened.

Solved my left pane issue so that it now appears like MM4 by enabling show all subnodes..didnt know that was even a thing...
Last edited by SusicMnob on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the scanning failing to refresh in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 I've tried to reproduce and am not able to do so.
SusicMnob

Post by SusicMnob »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:08 am Please capture the scanning failing to refresh in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 I've tried to reproduce and am not able to do so.
Will do and will post in next few days...
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

SusicMnob wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 am EDIT- Updated to 2419 and same- the open view tab with Artists sorted by Added is not refreshed after music is added. If i open a new tab it reflects the newly added music. - the older tab isn't refreshed with the newly imported music until restart- and essentially reopened.
I can replicate this in v2419 also.
I have no personal experience as to whether it was different in MM4.

You don't have to restart MM5 to workaround this issue. The F5 key triggers a refresh of the current view. That will display your newly added music.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
SusicMnob

Post by SusicMnob »

Ticket #2048 - posted with log. f5 does refresh but again that an extra step that I don't need when using MM4.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:56 am
SusicMnob wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 am EDIT- Updated to 2419 and same- the open view tab with Artists sorted by Added is not refreshed after music is added. If i open a new tab it reflects the newly added music. - the older tab isn't refreshed with the newly imported music until restart- and essentially reopened.
I can replicate this in v2419 also.
I have no personal experience as to whether it was different in MM4.
Could you please eleborate which exact node/view combination are you referring?

I suppose it is not the Music > Artists (Grid) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0k3g8l8g1gep ... 5.png?dl=0
as it has no "sort by added" option?

So maybe you think Music > Artists (List) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrbd11j1k20iu ... 3.png?dl=0
sorted by "Added" column (in which case we can't replicate) ?
SusicMnob

Post by SusicMnob »

Responded to ticket - Music - artists - list (by album) sorted by added, newest on bottom of screen