Downgrade from v. 5?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

swinghouse

Downgrade from v. 5?

Post by swinghouse »

I used to love MediaMonkey but I gotta say that v. 5 has proven to be a frustrating study in regressions. The search function , which was one of the awesome features that got me hooked on MediaMonkey all those years ago, is maddeningly volatile and unintuitive in v. 5.

As things stand I don't see any option but to revert to an earlier version of MediaMonkey, but I guess there is no way to downgrade the MM.DB file?

To downgrade I would need to:

1. Uninstall MM v. 5
2. Install MM. v 4
3. Point good old MM v. 4 to the MM.DB I'm glad I kept from before I upgraded (sic) to v. 5.

Correct?

Sorry for the negative tone, but I'm really frustrated by the current state of my beloved MediaMonkey.

MM version in use: 5.0.0.2338
Lowlander

Re: Downgrade from v. 5?

Post by Lowlander »

Build 2420 fixes many issues: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639

As for Search you don't mention what the problem is for you.

MediaMonkey 4 can be installed next to MediaMonkey 5 and if updated from MediaMonkey 4 you may still find it installed. Each use their own database (mm.db for MM4 and mm5.db for MM5).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

swinghouse wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:19 pm I used to love MediaMonkey but I gotta say that v. 5 has proven to be a frustrating study in regressions. The search function , which was one of the awesome features that got me hooked on MediaMonkey all those years ago, is maddeningly volatile and unintuitive in v. 5.

As things stand I don't see any option but to revert to an earlier version of MediaMonkey, but I guess there is no way to downgrade the MM.DB file?
If the loss of the Search node is your major issue, you should watch this space. They appear to be considering your feedback.

Also I was not immediately enthusiastic about MM5, but once I adopted some of the new ways of doing things I have got to where there is no way I would consider going back. YMMV of course.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lankylad

Post by Lankylad »

I have to agree with you on the version 5. I too am a long time user with a lifetime membership and having just "upgraded" I am deeply disappointed with v5. Its the layout and look that I hate. It appears to have been created with kids in mind, lots of shiny pics but no ability to quickly go through any serious collection quickly in an ordered way. Where the hell is the column browser? The most important element as far as I am concerned to quickly sort through your collection and its vanished? Thanks to the above I will be seeing if I can get V4 running side by side then leave this alone until its put right.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Column Filter is still available: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Displayed
Lankylad

Post by Lankylad »

Many thanks for letting me know where they had hidden it away. I have nearly got things back to how they were before V5.

I just need to work out how to stop my "artwork" section on the top right from trying to show every album within the filtered section instead of the one which currently playing. Thanks again.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please provide more detail what you mean with Artwork section at the top right. What Node and View are you in and what elements are enabled? A screenshot may help explain.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lankylad wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:52 pm I just need to work out how to stop my "artwork" section on the top right from trying to show every album within the filtered section instead of the one which currently playing. Thanks again.
"Top Right" ... you mean the right hand panel? By default it contains two sub-panels:
  • one named Playing
  • and the named Preview
Confusingly, the "Preview" panel never uses that name as its display title. It is either "Playing" or "Selected". So that there can be two panels on display, both with the title "Playing".
  • one is a list of everything that is in the playing queue
  • and the other has a toggle selection at the top (red arrow in my diagram) ... it toggles between showing the being played, and the album currently selected by the mouse cursor
Is this the area that you are talking about? You can configure it via the setting shown in my 1st illustration, and the the dropdown control shown in my 2nd illustration.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dypsis

Re: New Ways Of Doing Things

Post by dypsis »

Barry4679 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:11 am Also I was not immediately enthusiastic about MM5, but once I adopted some of the new ways of doing things I have got to where there is no way I would consider going back. YMMV of course.
Hi Barry.

Have you ever considered creating a tutorial on these new ways of doing things?
swinghouse

Post by swinghouse »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:14 pm Build 2420 fixes many issues: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639

As for Search you don't mention what the problem is for you.

MediaMonkey 4 can be installed next to MediaMonkey 5 and if updated from MediaMonkey 4 you may still find it installed. Each use their own database (mm.db for MM4 and mm5.db for MM5).
Thank you, I will try Build 2420 before considering a downgrade.

Also, I will return with more info about my issues with the search function if I face the same problems in Build 2420.
Lankylad

Post by Lankylad »

Spot on Barry, that is exactly what I meant. I always use the right hand panel split into 2, top showing the album of the currently playing song the bottom showing the lyrics if I have them. Your description and attachment were bob on! Many thanks indeed!

I now just have an issue with importing songs but I dare say its been covered in another thread. Last night I tried importing the 5 discs to the latest greatest hits cd I bought and found that whilst, as soon as I moved the folder of each cd (in FLAC) into my music folder. It did indeed import them, it did not update/refresh the image in the bottom section of my column browser. I usually keep it sorted by date added when importing (bit frustrated that these dates were not kept during update and are now all set to the day I loaded MMV5) and watch the songs appear as they are organised. However, nothing changed. I found I could open another tab and the new cd would be shown but it too did not refresh when I copied over the 3rd cd. (Please note I do not use MM to actually rip my cds I have always used dBPoweramp's music ripper for that.) There may be a tick box I need to find to get it to autoupdate as it imports... Lastly I guess I will need to wait for someone to write the same addon I used before which allowed me to combine albums by numbering the tracks (CD1 101,102 CD2 201,202 etc).

Thanks everyone for helping make this process less painful. I hope once I get everything setup exactly as before I can find some benefits to this update over time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Organize Files <Disc#><Track#:2> https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ontent/5.0

Unless you mean importing it in the Track# tag in which you can use the reverse, Auto-Tag from Filename (depending on how the filename is configured), although I'd recommend using Disc# and Track# tags instead.

As for refresh on scan, is this an issue on build 2420, if so, capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 A developer will then be able to analyze why this doesn't work in your setup.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lankylad wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:45 am I now just have an issue with importing songs but I dare say its been covered in another thread. Last night I tried importing the 5 discs to the latest greatest hits cd I bought and found that whilst, as soon as I moved the folder of each cd (in FLAC) into my music folder. It did indeed import them, it did not update/refresh the image in the bottom section of my column browser. I usually keep it sorted by date added when importing (bit frustrated that these dates were not kept during update and are now all set to the day I loaded MMV5) and watch the songs appear as they are organised. However, nothing changed. I found I could open another tab and the new cd would be shown but it too did not refresh when I copied over the 3rd cd. (Please note I do not use MM to actually rip my cds I have always used dBPoweramp's music ripper for that.) There may be a tick box I need to find to get it to autoupdate as it imports... Lastly I guess I will need to wait for someone to write the same addon I used before which allowed me to combine albums by numbering the tracks (CD1 101,102 CD2 201,202 etc).
I tried this but have not been able to replicate your issue.
  • moved an externally ripped album into a folder that MM5 is monitoring "Continuously"
  • the Main Panel was setup with the Column Filter on top, which included a column for the "Added" column
  • and the main panel was in List By Album view, and was sorted so that recently ripped album were at the top
  • MM5 auto-refreshed both of these panels
btw: the F5 kay causes a View refresh, so if things get stuck try pressing F5.

btw2. I had never used MM5 auto-monitoring facility. It is quite good using it to monitor a drop zone for new albums, so I will change my work flow. Thanks.
sj9239@gmail.com

Post by sj9239@gmail.com »

Holy crap. Just make the mistake of downloading MM 5.
My "lifetime" license has been cancelled and I hate the new look and functionality of MM5.
How does lifetime not last for my lifetime? Can I get my money back?

Even if 5 were free, I would still uninstall and go back to MM4. I wish I had tried it in a VM before uninstalling the old one. It used to work fine. The new one looks like Walt Disney threw up on it. Giant flashy blocks of colors everywhere.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you have a Lifetime License just enter it in MediaMonkey 5 and you'll have the Gold features: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... cense-key/