Auto Playlist Rules for Finding Instrumental Tracks

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

richiefinger

Auto Playlist Rules for Finding Instrumental Tracks

Post by richiefinger »

I'm trying to tag all my tracks with either, "Instrumental" "Vocal" "Inbetween" (for chanting, dub vocals, voice but no words etc)
I know some DJ software has expensive plugins that can do this but A: I don't want to pay that kind of price, B: I don't trust it, C: I'm looking for an MM5 solution.
I've already scanned my library with all the Lyricator sources and tagged the Lyrics field with "Lyricator Found Zero" if no lyrics were found.

I have set up an auto playlist based on the whole library.
Match ALL
Anytext contains "instrumental"
Playlist is not "Confirmed Instrumentals"
Lyrics does not contain "CONFIRMED INSTRUMENTAL"
Playlist is not "Confirmed Vocals"
Playlist is not "Inbetween Vocal and Instrumental"
Sort by Length

This is giving me a starting point to listen to tracks and then I manually add them to one of the three playlists Instrumental,Vocal,Inbetween.
Then I regularly go to the playlist and tag the Lyrics field with the name of the playlist.
This system is working well and I don't have the same track reappearing. It also means I have a nice small amount of tracks to work with rather than just anything that is Unknown.

I would like to add new Anytext criteria ie Anytext contains "Dub"
How can I do this without creating a separate playlist?
Is there a way to have Anytext find "Instrumental" OR "Dub"
Using ANY rather than ALL doesn't work In this set up.
Did MM4 used to have Multiple criteria for ANY/ALL so that you could set up an ALL set of criteria and then another ALL/ANY underneath that??? Or was that itunes/another program. That method would solve my problem. Is it something that can be implemented into MM5?
Barry4679

Re: Auto Playlist Rules for Finding Instrumental Tracks

Post by Barry4679 »

still trying to get to grips with your query, but I see that you are online.
A quick response:
It would have been better if you used one of the Custom columns for your tag. That way you would have access to "starts with" and "doesn't contain" etc etc ... so you would had a lot more options

What you would really like is "in" ... eg. Custom1 IN "Dub","Vocal" ... but you still [probably have enough eg if the tags were "Vocal-Dub" and Vocal" you could use Custom1 StartsWith "Vocal" to get both?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

In summary how can I search for more than one "text string" in the anytext contains criteria.

I'm using the search in "anytext" because it searches everything in the tag, not just one field.

If I understand you right, Custom Fields would mean me manually adding various bits of data which I'm trying to keep to a minimum. The only manual part I want to do is to confirm what one of three playlists the track fits in to. And then bulk name the Lyric field occasionally with the name of the playlist its in. This way when I check the Lyric field on my phone it will either one of FIVE entries: the lyrics, Instrumental,Vocal, Inbetween or Lyricator Found Zero.
I'm listening when out and about on my phone and I can easily just bulk add all tracks I've listened to that are confirmed instrumentals to the appropriate playlist.
Using MMAon my phone here is key here for listening to the tracks and confirming if they are instrumentals.
I'd also like to avoid using Custom tags whenever possible as they don't carry to MMA or to some other platforms/players/software etc. (Although I appreciate you might be suggesting this just to help playlist creation)
Last edited by richiefinger on Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I see that a "IN" query is possible.
eg ALBUMARTIST CONTAINS CAPT; BEAT finds both Captain Beefheart as well as The Beatles.

But sadly it does not work with ALLTAGS, maybe that is a bug.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

OK I'll give that a go on separate fields as a next best solution. Thanks for the idea
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

LYRICS CONTAINS VOCAL; DUB gets either or, so that will probably work for you.

You would be better of using some IDs that will not already be present in your lyrics tags, unless you have them all empty?
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

So the ; for multiple entries works but I cant use it in my instance for my Playlist rules as I can not use separate criteria for Genre,Lyrics,Title etc as I need to match ALL the rules on the other playlist criteria.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

I might start from scratch trying the ; separator and then try to approach the sub playlist criteria in a different way.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Am away from desk now.
If your playlist criteria is Lyrics Contains Vocal; Dub if will select either won't it?
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Yes the multiple entry works on Lyrics
I've reported the anytext criteria not allowing multiple entries.
If this is a bug and can be fixed then that's the perfect solution I need :)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

richiefinger wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 am I would like to add new Anytext criteria ie Anytext contains "Dub"
How can I do this without creating a separate playlist?
Is there a way to have Anytext find "Instrumental" OR "Dub"
Using ANY rather than ALL doesn't work In this set up.
You can use nested criteria like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7tobvpm4k377 ... 4.png?dl=0
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

BINGO! That's the one, easy when you know how :)

That's a temp solution, it just means I have to update five separate criterias each time I add a new search word.
If Any text could handle multiple entries I would only have to update one criteria.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

I spoke before reading your other reply!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED USING MY PREFERRED METHOD. Very Happy now.

My "Instrumentals Feeder" playlist criteria now reads:
Search: Entire Library
Match ALL
Playlist IS NOT "Confirmed Instrumentals"
Lyrics DOESN'T CONTAIN Confirmed Instrumentals
Playlist IS NOT Confirmed Vocals
Playlist IS NOT Confirmed In-between Vocals and Instrumentals
Any text CONTAINS Instrumental OR Dub OR Classical (can add new words as I see fit)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

richiefinger wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:08 am That's a temp solution, it just means I have to update five separate criterias each time I add a new search word.
I don't understand, adding another word is just about adding one more criteria, isn't it? Why five ?
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

That was referring to using five sepearte criteria. Before I had read your "OR" solution.
Then I read the "OR" solution for Any text....which means only one criteria needs to be added to.