sync wants to sync numerous files from the device to the library

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

lccseh

sync wants to sync numerous files from the device to the library

Post by lccseh »

hi - hoping you can help

i am trying to get usb sync working properly between my mma and mmw 5

this is after having moved from mmw 4 regular install on desktop/hdd to mmw 5 portable install on usb including library.

three issues, likely related.

1. for some reason, mmw 5 seems to want to sync back an enormous number of files (5k+) from the device to the library. i keep deselecting all except for any new playlists, but each time i do the sync, it again lists 5k+

1a. also curious, mmw shows 5,431 new file(s) and playlist(s) to copy from the device to the pc. yet only a fraction of these are selected.

here is a video showing this: https://www.screencast.com/t/7PSLRnFqyK3

2. mmw 5 then crashes with an exception error a few minutes afterwards. if i select "restart' , either it won't restart, or i get just a white window. https://www.screencast.com/t/kXEOXMDdLK

3. when configuring the sync list (device -> library), i keep deselecting music and video, so that only playlists are selected. because i only want playlists (new and updated) and ratings to sync back to the library. yet whenever i go to check the config, music and video are selected again.
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mmw 5.0.4.2690 (gold lifetime)
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
Lowlander

Re: sync wants to sync numerous files from the device to the library

Post by Lowlander »

1) Did you take your MediaMonkey 4 Library to your MediaMonkey 5 install: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/ This would be needed to keep Sync continuity.
This is likely why there isn't enough space on the device and why MediaMonkey has that many files listed for Sync back to PC.

2) My assumption is that this isn't the problem, but it's worth trying. Can you update to build 2432 linked here by a developer: viewtopic.php?p=485460#p485460 It fixes an issue with Sync and Auto-Conversion.

3) Are you saving before Sync and crash?
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:10 pm 1) Did you take your MediaMonkey 4 Library to your MediaMonkey 5 install: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/ This would be needed to keep Sync continuity.
This is likely why there isn't enough space on the device and why MediaMonkey has that many files listed for Sync back to PC.

2) My assumption is that this isn't the problem, but it's worth trying. Can you update to build 2432 linked here by a developer: viewtopic.php?p=485460#p485460 It fixes an issue with Sync and Auto-Conversion.

3) Are you saving before Sync and crash?
1. yes. there is about 7GB free, and note that i had unselected everything, yet i still got that message

2. will do and report back

3. yes. i click the "apply" button to save the settings.
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

hi .. i tried build 2432 but the result seems the same.

i am tempted to try answering "yes" to allow it to clear space and see if this ends up overcoming this on future syncs. i assume all it would do is delete the files it is going to sync first. the only other thing on the device are some photos that i can copy first.
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to set the delete option to All other media files. Study the resulting list MediaMonkey shows for deleting files, before allowing it to delete.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I would suggest you to retain your MM4 database and settings: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/

This way MM5 will act as MM4 and won't consider the files already on the device as foreign (the MM4 sync settings and sync profile will be preserved)
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

Ludek wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:50 pm I would suggest you to retain your MM4 database and settings: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/

This way MM5 will act as MM4 and won't consider the files already on the device as foreign (the MM4 sync settings and sync profile will be preserved)
Hmm. I had copied my mm4 database per that knowledgebase article (even though my mm4 is a regular install, not portable; and my mm5 is portable). Are you asking me to repeat the procedure again? And what do i answer when it asks me about the mm4 settings?

On a related note, I tried lowlander's suggestion of setting the sync list (library -> device) to delete other files and playlists (all other media files), the confirmation dialog seems to be showing all files on the device for deletion.

And i tried again to deselect all music and all video on the sync list (device -> library) so that only playlists are selected, yet the confirmation dialog still shows over 5K tracks with only some selected for copying to the pc.

Les
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

related mysteries:

1. when it shows "new file(s) and playlist(s) to copy from the device to the PC (5588)"
screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/hI0lcN3qNz

1a - when i expand, only some files are selected. so am i correct that the 5588 is a count of all files on the device, not the count of files selected for syncing back?
1b - since i have deselected all music for sync device -> library, shouldn't there be no files to copy from device to the pc?
1c - are things like artwork updated on the device? would this cause a file on the device to be considered newer than in the library?
1d - i just noticed that the destination for sync device -> library defaulted to c:\users\lccseh. yet the library is on the portable install usb (drive d:\music). perhaps this is why it's wanting to sync all files back to the library, coz it sees nothing in c:\users\lccseh? should i change the destination to d:\music?

2. "there isn't enough space on the device to sync selected files. .."
screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/Wpnpl5cupO0F

2a - i don't recall mm showing any files to sync from the library to the device.
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

hi - any updates? unfortunately i am stuck.

in the meantime i tried to move to a v4 portable install, where i had similar problems.

am i best to stay with trying to get this working on v5 since that is now the official supported version?
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
by evidence your problem seems to be caused by the fact that you started with fresh (or another) database/library and thus MM see the files on the device as foreign/new -- i.e. not knowing that these files were synced by MM.

You have two options:
1) delete the files from the device and sync them again using the new MM instance
2) Import the database and settings from the MM4 instance that you used previously for syncing the device. This way MM will know that the files were already synced and will know its paths on the device (this info is stored within MM.DB file) and eveyrthign will work like before (without wanting to sync numerous files from the device to the library).

More at https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/
Hmm. I had copied my mm4 database per that knowledgebase article (even though my mm4 is a regular install, not portable; and my mm5 is portable). Are you asking me to repeat the procedure again? And what do i answer when it asks me about the mm4 settings?
Did you try to copy MM.DB file from the C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\
to the <MM5 portable install folder>\Portable\ and removing the MM5.DB from there? This way MM.DB would be upgraded to MM5.DB and the MM4 settings should be preserved. Another option is to install MM5 as standard (not portable) -- then the settings is stored in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

Ludek wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:48 am You have two options:
1) delete the files from the device and sync them again using the new MM instance
2) Import the database and settings from the MM4 instance that you used previously for syncing the device. This way MM will know that the files were already synced and will know its paths on the device (this info is stored within MM.DB file) and eveyrthign will work like before (without wanting to sync numerous files from the device to the library).
thanks!

re: #1, should it retain all ratings and playlists? and is there a recommended method to delete the files from the device?

re: #2, yup, i followed lowlander's recommendations and copied mm.db from the existing mm4 instance (standard) to the new mm5 instance (portable). however, the new mm5 portable will be used on another pc, so the paths will not match up. i had gone through different approaches to point everything to the new location.
Ludek wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:48 am Did you try to copy MM.DB file from the C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\
to the <MM5 portable install folder>\Portable\ and removing the MM5.DB from there? This way MM.DB would be upgraded to MM5.DB and the MM4 settings should be preserved. Another option is to install MM5 as standard (not portable) -- then the settings is stored in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\
Yes, i copied mm.db from C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\.

i do need to go portable.