unresponsive micro player

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

JamesM

unresponsive micro player

Post by JamesM »

Am feeling rather stupid at the minute, I can't work out how to upload a picture I made to explain this (insert picture seems to want a URL?)

Anyway, I went to update Media Monkey, found Media Monkey 5 is now released and 4 is no more. I've updated with minimal fuss. I eventually found the settings I needed to make it more familiar. Except the Micro player?? There's a Mini player now that is not as small as the old mini player. I like the fact that it snow shows both the song name and band (that used to really bother me), but that's it. If I put it at the top of the screen it covers menu's and allsorts (gets in the way). Bottom of the screen causes different inconveniences. It works reliably and is good at it's job. There's a lot to appreciate! I'm just saying the old one was much much smaller and consequently more convenient. I miss it's ability to not cover things.

So there's a new option. The Microplayer. At some point I worked out what this error message meant
"MediaMonkey Player toolbar panel is probably hidden. To enable panel open taskbar popup menu and enable Media Monkey Player in toolbar submenu"
Initially I was looking in Media Monkey options and settings for anything to do with toolbars panels (because right clicking on the Media Monkey item on the windows taskbar only gave you "close" and "unpin")
...and F1, didn't help (most help items seem to apply to much older versions) searching for Micro player brings you to "The Magicalpig's skins"??

So, my stupidity could have been avoided if the error could be worded better, for example : "Some windows settings need to be changed to enable this player mode. Right click on a blank or unused part of the windows taskbar. A menu will appear. Move the mouse up to the toolbars menu item. from the submenu select....".

Dialogs with pictures are also an easy option save wordy explanations...

Moving beyond my difficulty following instructions, the microplayer now shows on the taskbar without an error message...but it is completely unresponsive. *none* of the buttons can be used and the only way to exit the "on taskbar" app is to go back and remove the "toolbars" permission from windows. After which the program goes back to the windowed view and then crashes. I assume this behaviour is not supposed to be normal so I thought I should mention it.

Notes :
* Windows 10 Pro (20H2), fully patched
* Norton 360 (I don't recommend anybody uses this if they don't like endless Norton Spam)
* logged in as Admin
* no silly corporate policies applied (it's a home computer)

Side question : Is there any chance of getting a smaller (shorter) floating mini player, such that I can use only dead space like.. application title bars....

keep up the awesome work :)
Lowlander

Re: unresponsive micro player

Post by Lowlander »

The MicroPlayer is being worked on, which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey 5 are you using?
jodido2012

Re: unresponsive micro player

Post by jodido2012 »

I want to say thanks for explaining how to get the micro player to work. It was driving me crazy. FWIW the buttons work on my setup, which is pretty much the same as yours.