freedb lookup from files (not CD)

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

jray14

freedb lookup from files (not CD)

Post by jray14 »

Why do we need to have the CD in the drive to use freedb within MediaMonkey? All the great taggers like mp3Tag and The Godfather can query freedb for a set of files... if MediaMonkey could do it, I'd never have to leave it! :) Sometimes Amazon doesn't know your album and you don't have your CD handy.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Yeah, that's already on the wishlist I think.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yeah it's on the wishlist (for a long time) including the ability to upload information to FreeDB so we can contribute.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
jray14

Post by jray14 »

Cool, glad to hear it. Sorry for the spam then-- I should have searched first :).
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

@Developers
Please include the freedb-Request from Files in MM.
I've done alot with freedb because I set up my own MySQL-freedb-Server and it would be really nice if I could use it with MM.
I've done a small Sample Programm to caclulate the DiscID and the necessery HTTP-Command: Start MM, select all files of one album (sorted by TrackNo), Start Project1.exe and click the Button. If you're using a Proxy fill in the Data before. The Memo-Field will show the Result of freedb.org
http://mitglied.lycos.de/onkelenno/index.html

Hope it will make it soon into my favorite (and only) Music Manager!

BTW The DiscID-Calculation isn't exact but it doesn't matter because the freedb fuzzy search will find the results using the Offsets and Album Length - that's the way how it is intended to work.
Last edited by onkel_enno on Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
SansaMonkey - for SanDisk Sansa and Rockbox Users

Please no PMs for Questions which should be asked in the Forum. Thx
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

That's what I've been kind of waiting for: an "external" developer that can help the MM devs by giving useful source code for a much wanted feature.

Great Onkel Enno!
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
jiri

Post by jiri »

I suppose you could make it as a plug-in for MM, right? What exactly do you think is needed internally in MM?

Jiri
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

I think there's nothing additionally needed within MediaMonkey.
You are already using freedb for Audio-CDs with a very nice freedb-Dialog to choose the Disc.
The only thing you have to change is that if you're not in the My-Computer-Node (CD-Drive), you're calculating the discid, offsets, Disclen, ... from the files (like in the Sample-Prog.) and not from the TOC of the CD.
You'll only have to care that the order of the Tracks is correct.
The Tagging, ... you should be able to use from the existing freedb-Lookup.

Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Tag&Rename and Mp3Tag have good implementations of such a feature.

On first use, there's a message box ("(don't) show this again" kind) that gives an explanation (at least on T&R): put all the tracks in the right track order and select them (for the cd that has to be recognised).
Then, the necessary things are calculated, sent to the FreeDB server and results are received and displayed as with the "normal" FreeDB CD lookup.
If there are no results, a message box says this, and also that all the tracks of the cd must be selected, in the correct order, for the function to work.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

what if you don't know the correct cd order? then you can't look up by freedb?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey should at least try to intelligently guess the right order based on information in tags and filenames.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

MediaMonkey should at least try to intelligently guess the right order based on information in tags and filenames
But first things first... (or how do they say it?)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

First things first, indeed! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Vladishee

Post by Vladishee »

hmm... so long time passed and nothing...
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

I don't understand it too :-?