More Attractive and sylish interface

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Do you like the current interface?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:14 pm

Yes
50%
Hate it
No votes
Could be better
50%

Total votes: 8

theruleroftheuniverseman

More Attractive and sylish interface

Post by theruleroftheuniverseman »

I The current console tree is easiest and most practical, but is there antoher way?
Lowlander

MM 2.2

Post by Lowlander »

Check out MM 2.2 Alpha 2, it has a configurable interface. On the beta forum you can find some images as well.

Remember an alpha release is only for regular testers as the program can contain serious bugs.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
malibu

Post by malibu »

I think the functionality of the interface is pretty good, though not perfect. The asthetics could use some work however. Check out how slick the iTunes player looks, or even Microsoft Media Player for that matter. It may be a sad commentary on the software industry, but having it look good by default goes a long long way to selling an app. I've been noticing trends over the last few years and the current MM interface seems to be stuck around windows 95. Personally I don't care.. I think MM is awesome and it wouldn't affect my own use. Just thought I would state my opinion.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well MM is limited in it's interface by functionality. A windows explorer style has the greatest functionality. And in the end that is what counts most.
But we all want to have something decent to look at and I think you'll be pleased with MM 2.2. There are new skins that give it a nice (less explorer like) look.
Sk8eR

Post by Sk8eR »

Also many of the themes/icons are getting an overhaul, so stay tuned, a slicker, more visually appealing MM is something coming in the near future hopefully. :)
theruleroftheuniverseman

Post by theruleroftheuniverseman »

Thank you i guess i am a bit slow on the dowloads but i'vegotto admit the itunes layout is so much more user friendly.
arg0

Post by arg0 »

I love MediaMonkey for being an all-in-one tool for both managing one's music library (re-tagging tracks) and listening, though I admit that it's modularity can be sometimes confusing, especially to newcomers.

The tree view is extremely versatile, but I think that browsing by artist, album, year etc should be possible also from the main view, e.g. by having a combo box (drop-down list + manual text edit) on top of each column header. The concept is similar to column auto-filtering in MS Excel.

These combo boxes would allow browsing and simple and advanced searching (multiple criteria) from the main window without need for an additional dialog.

Hiding the tree would then result in an iTunes-like intuitive library access, while using all the menus and the tree would give access to full features for more advanced users.

Tell me if you want me to draw a picture of what it could look like.

Regards,
Argo

BTW: Someone feels the need for an easily accessible button to enable/disable tag editing?
Lowlander

Maybe

Post by Lowlander »

Some blocking capability has been discussed before for when MM is used in public settings. A version of MM is in the plans, what would come of it we'll have to see.
Lowlander

album art browser

Post by Lowlander »

While I don't really feel much for using the tracklistings for browsing like arg0 described I actually do have a similar idea. This could be useful for the party/bar player in public settings (like a jukebox).

The tracklistings area would be used in the case the album node is selected:

to display album art and some album info (artist, albumname, year) in a nice graphical format.

Some thoughts:
- With too many albums navigation could be hard. So a good search is needed.
- Subdivision per artist/year/genre could be a way to handle many albums.

And album-art would need to be implemented in MM. Speed of interface with all these images would need to be guarded.

A similar approach to the Now Playing window could be considered if this is implemented in a party/bar mode of MM.