Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

botijo

Re: Ubuntu.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by botijo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:17 pm

You can check any Vorbis file (.ogg extension), and they should play fine. If not, then you should check your WINE options, I know there is something audio related in there. I am supposing that you can listen to audio in Linux.
By default, MM tries to use codecs shared with Windows Media Player or Windows in general. I think it is written somewhere in the Wiki that you need to install the MAD plugin in order to play MP3 files.
Regards.

mitchman333

Post by mitchman333 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:01 am

Thank you for the reply - my troubleshooting is pointing me towards an audio codec/something similar...

I'll follow the install process again, especially MAD plugin - I am so close, I know it's something easy.

And yes I do listen to music on Linux (Amarok, Juk, Exaile, etc.)

Thanks again.

Mitchman

mitchman333

Post by mitchman333 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:44 am

Just as an edit to my latest post - I can get .flac and .ogg to play within Media Monkey (on Ubuntu) without issue, which great. Unfortunately I have 80 gigs of MP3 that do not play yet. It seems like a codec issue, trying to see if the MAD plugin is this issue, although when I test it out - seems to work ok.

Are there other MAD type audio (MP3) codecs that are preferred for Ubuntu..?

Thanks.

Mitchman

botijo

Post by botijo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:51 am

Hi, Mitchmann33,
I know people do not like the command line, but some other user wrote these lines in the Wiki that should help you getting MP3 capabilities. This is the last part of the Installation Summary (or steps).

Code: Select all

# 6)Create directories to manage MediaMonkey plugins fixes. This step required after first MM install.
# Change to Plugins directory
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MediaMonkey/Plugins/
# Create directory to hold Problems plugins
mkdir Problems
# Create directory to hold Fixes for plugin problems
mkdir Fixes

# 7)Get alternate plugins for Fixes
# MAD input plugin. Version at time of testing. FF3B5 is acting up on the right-click menu for the main page.
wget http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/mad-plugin/MAD%20plug-in%200.14.2b.exe
wine MAD\ plug-in\ 0.14.2b.exe
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MediaMonkey/Plugins/Fixes/
cp ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Winamp/Plugins/in_mad.dll .

# 8)Cleanup MediaMonkey plugins. This step is required after any MM re-install.
# Change to Plugins directory
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MediaMonkey/Plugins/
# Move known problem dlls out of main Plugins directory
mv -f d_*.dll Problems/
mv -f in_wmp3.dll Problems/
# Copy Fixes to main Plugins directory
cp Fixes/* .

# 9)Run MediaMonkey for first time
# Use Applications/Wine/Programs/MediaMonkey/MediaMonkey
If you find the Wiki somewhat confusing, you are really welcome to fix it!

mitchman333

Post by mitchman333 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 pm

botijo wrote:Hi, Mitchmann33,
I know people do not like the command line, but some other user wrote these lines in the Wiki that should help you getting MP3 capabilities.
I am Giddy - I got it working finally... went through the WIKI again, I think I may have missed a .dll delete early on, or perhaps deleted one too many .dll files, anyway....

Thank you for your help and documentation - Now I have the BEST MUSIC application running on my (k)Ubuntu machine - I am so pumped.. :D

Mitchman

PS: Now I have to learn how to share the MM.DB (SQL db) with this install, maybe get .wma support working and I'll be golden.

Thank you again.

Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:50 am

Hrm... so I hear 3g iphone support, along with my boss apparently giving us each a free one and am drawn back to MM.

Anyone tried sync'ing an iphone under wine yet? :P

If not, I'll let you all know... /hate iTunes with a passion, and MM is the only program to have broken the iTunes library hash on 2.x firmware afaik.

botijo

Post by botijo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Let me quote from the Wiki:
"iTunes must be installed for MediaMonkey to detect the device, but should not be used to synch Audio as this may result in Album Art mixups."

I would say that installing iTunes might be more problematic than running MM. From what I can read of the WineHQ APPDB website, iTunes cannot be installed properly, at least not for iPod sync. Please correct me if I am wrong.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:32 pm

botijo wrote:Let me quote from the Wiki:
"iTunes must be installed for MediaMonkey to detect the device, but should not be used to synch Audio as this may result in Album Art mixups."

I would say that installing iTunes might be more problematic than running MM. From what I can read of the WineHQ APPDB website, iTunes cannot be installed properly, at least not for iPod sync. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Maybe if you had a Vitrual desktop environment where you could run iTunes and MM under XP in VMware player, for example. Otherwise I think it won't be possible.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:34 pm

nohitter151 wrote:
botijo wrote:Let me quote from the Wiki:

Maybe if you had a Vitrual desktop environment where you could run iTunes and MM under XP in VMware player, for example. Otherwise I think it won't be possible.
So prehaps this means they *didn't* break the hash, but rather hacked iTunes to use it's hash :O
From my research, people *have* had success running iTunes under virtual environments and been able to sync, but this isn't an ideal solution, quite apart from the fact that most of them cost money.

Update:
Virtual box is apparently under GPL, and people have had success. Note you would need an XP install disc:
http://www.huanix.com/2008/11/03/fixing ... indows-xp/
Similar:
http://tennessee.ubuntuforums.com/showt ... 0&t=690411 (start at page 2)

Further updatE:
On the same blog, apparently the most recent version of VirtualBox doesn't need the custom kernel: just need to edit an /etc/fstab entry
http://www.huanix.com/2008/11/23/you-ca ... /#more-289

There is also progress on getting iTunes8 working under wine:
http://www.huanix.com/2008/11/12/itunes ... izes-ipod/

Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:16 am

Tried it out myself today... and... wow
To quote myself from the linux / wine thread:
Psyker7 wrote:One word:
VirtualBox

OK I can't believe I didn't find this program earlier - 100% free for personal use virtulization on Linux.
Installed it today, was a breeze. Wack an XP image on it, install mediamonkey on that Image, and I have a perfect Mediamonkey running on my Linux Mint box!

:D :D :D :D

I seriously couldn't be happier, and it makes me glad I got my Gold License :D

Yet to try it, but apparently it's also possible to get iPhones and iPods to sync through it.

Sure it ain't as quick as wine to start up, but if you just suspend the image each time instead of shutting down you can't complain too much.

A how-to for virtual box:
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04 ... heron.html

Note for Intrepid users:
for USB support, you ONLY need the fstab edit, not the rest of the junk with /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
Yet to actually try iPods yet, still re-adding my music collection to the monkey (via a convoluted method of exporting my ratings from amarok to iTunes, then to MM)

jfrorie

Post by jfrorie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:43 pm

I just posted this on another thread....

FYI, I just tested wine 1.1.12 which fixed a major MM bug. It's running pretty blame good. I gave it a silver.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Im a mediamonkey Gold user, so lifetime membership and just changed to ubuntu, Vista i will only use for playing sometimes games if i can spare time.
So would be really nice to see a MEdia Monkey Linux version!

josiahgerber

Post by josiahgerber » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:20 pm

I have been holding off switching over to Ubuntu until I could get MediaMonkey running. A few days ago my Windows install started acting up so I decided to try it again. I originally installed VirtualBox from the repository, but had a few issues so I downloaded it from the website. I was able to get Windows running in Seamless Mode and installed MediaMonkey. After a little work I was also able to get my iPod Video 5g to sync. Everything works and I am using all of the features just like I used on my Windows install.

deusdiabolus

Post by deusdiabolus » Tue May 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Guest wrote:Im a mediamonkey Gold user, so lifetime membership and just changed to ubuntu, [...]
I am now in the same situation. I have just "adopted" a 2GHz system with Ubuntu installed...and I do miss my Monkey already. I may look into trying out some of the workarounds in this thread in the future...I do still have my install on the hard drive from my recently deceased XP box.

joltek

Post by joltek » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:12 am

Guest wrote:Im a mediamonkey Gold user, so lifetime membership and just changed to ubuntu, Vista i will only use for playing sometimes games if i can spare time.
I used to be like you & deusdiabolus. :D

I bought the Lifetime membership as well and I was so pissed when I couldn't used MM in Linux (Ubuntu). :evil:
But then I starts playing around with Amarok and now I'm happy. 8)

I now considered the money that I paid for MM's Lifetime membership as charity "helping out the little guy against all the big corporations like Microsoft, Norton etc." :lol:

My suggestion is you both get to know Amarok... Amarok does almost everything that MM does, except searching for words in the lyrics, Amarok only search the Genre/Artist/Album, it connected to Amazon so you can easily find the right Album covers, Amarok also connected to Wiki so you can find information on the Artist/Album.

You just have to spend time tweaking/personalized it to your taste. :P
Last edited by joltek on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.