ID3v2.4

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: ID3v2.4

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mwcem

Post by mwcem »

Well, if it comes to comparision between Helium and MM, I think that Helium has many features superior to MM, and some features of MM are still missing in Helium. If you have a big music-collection I must say, that Helium can handle this much easier and at some points more logical than MM. Yes, it's not for movies, but to me that's rather a plus, than a minus, because movies need a complete different kind of data than music. - But of course many of these points are matter of taste and cannot be discussed objectively.

Yet what really IS a difference is the support. I had some suggetions made and all (except one, which they are still thinking about) have been realized by now - and that's something with MM I can only dream about.
Michael
MitchMitchel23

Post by MitchMitchel23 »

Are there any news about ID3v2.4?

Because Kodi (XBMC) only reads mutiple tags correcly if ID3v2.4 is used.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you point me to topic wher they state that they only read 2.4?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MitchMitchel23

Post by MitchMitchel23 »

Sorry, but I have expressed myself wrong.

XBMC reads ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4. But if a tag has multiple entrys e.g. ARTIST='Alison Krauss; John Waite' they are only correctly stored in the database if ID3v2.4 is used.

Read this in a xbmc-forum. Can't find the thread at the moment.
mwcem

Post by mwcem »

I guess still no progress here, right?
Michael
wwootton1

Id3v2.4 option

Post by wwootton1 »

I know this has been discussed for years. Would like to just bring it up again. Everything I use has the capability to read v2.4 tags. I would love tge ability to atleast select the option to write only these tags. It's the only thing that has me contemplating moving from MM again.
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
wwootton1

Re: Id3v2.4 option

Post by wwootton1 »

Juat realized I didn't post this in the Windows section somehow. Now I don't know how to change the location of the post. Sorry.
mwcem

Post by mwcem »

Just think of it - I started this thread in 2008 and still no progress! :cry:
The ID3v2.4 is still regarded as too - what exactly? Exotic? New? Strange? Unusual??

Well, seems that MM will stay behind forever...
Michael
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

mwcem wrote:Just think of it - I started this thread in 2008 and still no progress! :cry:
The ID3v2.4 is still regarded as too - what exactly? Exotic? New? Strange? Unusual??

Well, seems that MM will stay behind forever...
MM reads ID3v2.4 tags but doesn't write them. Many mp3 players don't read ID3v2.4 tags, but pretty much everything can understand ID3v2.3. It may be an intentional decision by the devs.

wwootton1

Post by wwootton1 »

I'd prefer v2.4 tags but would settle for the option to write a custom separator in artist tag. Just as it is capable in other multi field tags. I've read the devs remarks regarding both options over the years. I've been a gold member since MM 3 and holding out since then. Researching and putting together other options to maintain my growing library.

If they wont implement these features then atleast make the interface reflect how the tag is actually being written. And document it or put a note near the field in options. Seems like that would have saved people many hours of frustration and research.
jiri

Post by jiri »

I agree that ID3v2.4 should be at least an option for people who prefer it. Sorry for this taking so long, it somehow slipped through, we'll look into it soon and try to get it into 5.0.

Jiri
mwcem

Post by mwcem »

nohitter151 wrote:Many mp3 players don't read ID3v2.4 tags, but pretty much everything can understand ID3v2.3.
This may have been true in 2008, but today, seven years later, no modern player has troubles with ID3v2.4. Maybe some outdated ones still ignore that format, but that's why the are outdated. No modern player to my knowledge has any troubles with that format, on the contrary. Most of them are able to read more exotic stuff like itunes-tags and others as well.

The decission - though on purpose - not to support the ID3v2.4 standard, keeps MM in its outdates place. A modern software should offer tagging on a most broad scale and diversity. See "Mp3Tag" or "Helium Music Manager" for example.
Michael
wwootton1

Post by wwootton1 »

jiri wrote:I agree that ID3v2.4 should be at least an option for people who prefer it. Sorry for this taking so long, it somehow slipped through, we'll look into it soon and try to get it into 5.0.

Jiri

Good news. At this point. I'd love to see full support for id3v2.4, conversion and clean tags tools. Needs to come soon though.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

mwcem wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:Many mp3 players don't read ID3v2.4 tags, but pretty much everything can understand ID3v2.3.
This may have been true in 2008, but today, seven years later, no modern player has troubles with ID3v2.4. Maybe some outdated ones still ignore that format, but that's why the are outdated. No modern player to my knowledge has any troubles with that format, on the contrary. Most of them are able to read more exotic stuff like itunes-tags and others as well.

The decission - though on purpose - not to support the ID3v2.4 standard, keeps MM in its outdates place. A modern software should offer tagging on a most broad scale and diversity. See "Mp3Tag" or "Helium Music Manager" for example.
People still use those old players though.