Auto-update for MM3

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Fraxav

Auto-update for MM3

Post by Fraxav » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi all.
I wanted to suggest a new behaviour for the 'Look for updates' feature in MM3.
Actually at startup MM searches new updates and, if any, notifies you with a pop-up. If you click download, you'll be redirected to the download page of the MM website.
This is exactly like subscribing to the MM3 developement thread and receiving an email when a new post (90% announcing a new update) is written.
I'd like if MM could search, download and install the latest update automatically.
Of course every user has its own preferences, so there could be options to set MM to just search, search and download or search, download and istall the update.
Another good thing would be having MM to save the previous user preferences, scripts, boxes position, etc... when it installs the new update, so you don't have to search the file (in which settings are saved) somewhere in C:\\ or re-set your preferences.
What do you think?
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.

spacefish

Re: Auto-update for MM3

Post by spacefish » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Though I don't mind downloading the new update, I agree there's some redundancy if one is also subscribed to the update thread (like me). I'd like the choice to download and/or install directly through MM. I do use other programs which implement the same update method (download from site then install) so this is probably more the norm than the exception. I'd also like the choice to streamline the update process with one or two clicks, much like updating computer games.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Unless an update is critical the user should always review if an update should be done. I can understand the desire for this feature, but I'd strong advise against using such a feature so you can evaluate the need for an update.

For example the last versions of MediaMonkey were only needed for iPod users and thus not needed for regular users.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Hence why the choice to do a direct download/install (without having to go to an external source) would be ideal. I haven't updated precisely because I don't use iAnything.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:23 pm

I think this would be something that's nice to have, but certainly not critical. I think there are definitely other outstanding features/improvements that certainly need to be added before something like this was considered (but of course everyone has their own priorities).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:31 pm

nohitter151 wrote:I think this would be something that's nice to have, but certainly not critical. I think there are definitely other outstanding features/improvements that certainly need to be added before something like this was considered (but of course everyone has their own priorities).
Definitely not critical. I'm content to continue with what I'm used to. I'm patiently waiting for the updates that don't involve an iPod! ;D
WebNodes

Fraxav

Post by Fraxav » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:03 am

Yes of course, keep in mind the importance of options for user's choiches!
I'm glad someone agrees with me. Just tring to have this added to the wish list, even if not with a high priority.
However, it's boring to manually download and istall new updates, critical or not. Imagine if you were one of the people having trouble with iThigs.
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.

zopfan

Post by zopfan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:38 am

Fraxav wrote:Yes of course, keep in ..............ne if you were one of the people having trouble with iThigs.
Fully agree with Fraxav.