Home Theatre Display

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

bmrosen45

Home Theatre Display

Post by bmrosen45 »

I use MediaMonkey on a PC connected to my home theater system. I have copied all my CD to a 500 GB hard drive and would like to use MediaMonkey as the program to control the music. The problem is my recliner is 10 feet from the PC's monitor making it hard to see. What I need is a display mode that can be seen from 10 feet away and use a wireless mouse or pointing device to control the basic music functions (play, pause, stop, etc). The GUI would have to use very large fonts and have a minimal control display but enough to see which song is playing, select a playlist, or compose a new playlist. Most programs assume the user is sitting right in front of the monitor so the font's are relatively small.
nohitter151

Re: Home Theatre Display

Post by nohitter151 »

Tools | Option | Skin

Change font size to large.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
PatMcQ

Post by PatMcQ »

Ideally, a "10 foot display" skin is what's needed. I have the same problem. I've tweaked fonts and removed unnecessary windows and toolbars, but MM is still not quite right for an LCD TV and a sofa. Unfortunately I have no graphics and coding skills to make my own skin. Home theatres have been around for a while... you'd think somebody at MM or wherever have already considered this.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

PatMcQ wrote:Ideally, a "10 foot display" skin is what's needed. I have the same problem. I've tweaked fonts and removed unnecessary windows and toolbars, but MM is still not quite right for an LCD TV and a sofa. Unfortunately I have no graphics and coding skills to make my own skin. Home theatres have been around for a while... you'd think somebody at MM or wherever have already considered this.
I would like to develop a skin for this purpose but there are some things that just can't be changed (Icons on toolbars can't be made larger, menu sizes can't be larger) and I also don't have a big enough screen to test it on.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
tooscaredtotry

Post by tooscaredtotry »

Even neater would be a plugin for XBMC or Windows Media Center that uses MM's backend and database with the GUI of these apps. MM is REALLY fast compared with any of these applications (I'm only talking about my experience with 30,000 tracks).
MM 3.0.1.1190
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 4GB RAM, Q6600, Dual 24" Dell 2407's
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

nohitter151 wrote:
PatMcQ wrote:Ideally, a "10 foot display" skin is what's needed. I have the same problem. I've tweaked fonts and removed unnecessary windows and toolbars, but MM is still not quite right for an LCD TV and a sofa. Unfortunately I have no graphics and coding skills to make my own skin. Home theatres have been around for a while... you'd think somebody at MM or wherever have already considered this.
I would like to develop a skin for this purpose but there are some things that just can't be changed (Icons on toolbars can't be made larger, menu sizes can't be larger) and I also don't have a big enough screen to test it on.
That's actually less important than you might think(having a big enough screen). set your resolution to one of the two popular HD sizes (1280x720 or 1920x1080) and design it from there. just have to mentally resize it to a larger display. 20" approximately doubles your onscreen sizes when you go to 42"

my 28" moni is crossing into the TV size realm.
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

tooscaredtotry wrote:Even neater would be a plugin for XBMC or Windows Media Center that uses MM's backend and database with the GUI of these apps. MM is REALLY fast compared with any of these applications (I'm only talking about my experience with 30,000 tracks).
Sadley they don't seem to be interested in doing that. Understandable since Microsoft is evil by nature.
airmaus

Post by airmaus »

I'm in a similar situation. Setting font size to Large doesn't really help much.
Overzeetop

Post by Overzeetop »

Man, I'd pay an extra $20-30 just to get a really good, working plugin for VMC. The default player in media center is just horrible. Slow, cumbersome, and the plugins to play most of my files (mostly FLAC) lose nearly all the metadata. Something that can take input from the media center remote and a fast, slick interface to jog through my albums, etc., just the way I have them organized in MM3 would be heaven. A MyMovies for my music, if you will, with great searching and selecting across different axes. I don't need to be able to manage my library from the media center interface, just to access and play my tunes.
mixy

Post by mixy »

I have the same problem guys,

I am a devoted user of media monkey that has built a media center... as you know, media monkey does not work for a living room sofa/ remote control environment. Unfortunately, the choices are very limited: either you use media portal that takes ages to boot or you just accept using WMC...

I have installed WMC and it is driving me crazy. All my collection is nicely tagged with MM. However, WMC does not show the same metadata at all. Also, I love that in MM you can browse by artist within a playlist. In WMC you cannot do that, since a playlist is just a list of songs that cannot be furtherly sorted by artist...

It is so difficult to use another browser when you are just to MM...,

PLEASE, A MM PLUGIN FOR WMC, PLEASE...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to check out the free Meedio(s). Also make sure you check out the plugins for the various HTPC software's as they often provide better music management than the build in solution. I actually think that a plugin could be developed for it that uses the MediaMonkey database as both applications use SQLite as database. I personally still use MediaMonkey on the HTPC, but I just playback auto-playlists so lack of readability is not so much an issue.
You can also look into remotely controlling your HTPC. There is an iPhone application to do so and you can also remote control your HTPC. I know that nothing beats a HTPC MediaMonkey interface, but this request has been a long standing one and I don't if the developers will do anything on this soon. In any case for HTPC purposes something that can use the MediaMonkey database and auto-playlists would be sufficient.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
bvocal

Post by bvocal »

I would bet that this is one very often asked for feature.
I would like to add my thoughts...
Media Monkey is the best media database system around, and is starting to get props from mainstream writers, so just maybe, I hope, it will really take off.... So that makes it a natural for some sort of evolution to the HTPC realm, as that is the natural place to use it, esp if you happen to have a high-end audio rig with your theater.
So, support for pristine audio [which it already has, in an inconvenient way for switching audio codecs...], either getting every software builder on earth to include MM in their list of supported players for control/remote/media keys... or being able to mask itself as winamp... a new interface for when 'minimizing' that is built for being viewed/driven from the couch... and what I think would be super great, and I am sure I read here that the dev's will not do, is video support, then you may as well go ahead and built a whole shell for HTPC that you can switch to and from...
After doing that it seems the natural next step is world domination.
jammastercd

Post by jammastercd »

Reading through this thread there appears to be a number of options for creating a 10' capability of MM. I would personally like to see MM available via the Windows Media Center interface, which could also be accessed via media extenders. I understand that it would be technically different than My Movies, but a similar overall experience would be wonderful. The current MM desktop application would continue to be used for managing my music collection, but there would be a plug-in interface used while in WMC.
Peke

Post by Peke »

First I would like to ask few questions?

What WMC interface to support:
- Windows MCE
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- HTPC Windows XP based on manufacturers choice (ATi, nVidia, SoundGraph, Cyberlink, Microsoft, Apple, Logitech, ...)

Additionally each of them uses own application/GUI for communicating with hardware and most of them do not supply any API/SDK to work with?
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Post by Guest »

I have the same issues on my 70 inch Sony because I am maybe 18-20 feet away. I increased the font to extra large and I have very good eyes so i can see it but whenever i have friends over they can't see the library very well from the couch. Nobody can DJ a party like that...
Also the song title needs to be bigger but the gey glided skin has the best font size for the song title. There is certainly a need for a "big screen" display mode perhaps like the iTV set up when a song is playing as I have not dared to mess around with WMC. Would also be nice to be able to automatically cycle through your pictures while the song title remains in the bottom corner, but alas I am probably talking about MM 6 or 7...
One other thing, can we get a larger search box? I work in the search business and the small search box is killing me when you have to type in a long band name or long song name and you can't even see your entry query to see if you spelled it correctly.
Love MM otherwise.