Home Theatre Display

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

GMGJ

Re: Home Theatre Display

Post by GMGJ »

I would like some sort of monkey / mce play capability.

I have just downloaded the Windows 7 media center sdk from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... fault.aspx.

I am going to investigate building an MCE page that works with MM and MM scripts.

I hope I can get a a script developer interested in working with me. I do not want to learn VB at this point. Its always more complicate than it seems!

The first idea is to pull a list of playlists from the monkey. Display the list of playlists and select a playlist in MCE and then kicking off a monkey script play it.

There was a program called MC Menu Minder that worked on Vista that made this sort of thing easy. The old version I had did not start on Windows 7 but I am going to look into this.

I use a remote connection to do most of my work on my HTPC. What I want to do is help build a MCE page(s) that lets us use the monkey to play things from our HTPCs sitting 10 feet away.
MediaMan

Post by MediaMan »

What I need is a display mode that can be seen from 10 feet away and use a wireless mouse or pointing device to control the basic music functions (play, pause, stop, etc).
To me, the solution here is simple and does not require a TV. Seriously. Use iMonkey and an iTouch. Meets the requirement for remote control of basic music functiions on a disaply that can be seen at all times....the iTouch display.
Windows 7,8 | iTunes 11.2.2.3 | IOS 7.1.2 | MM Gold 4.1.3.1708 | d_itunes4.dll Ver 4.0.4.2438
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Using an case with integrated screen or a small USB Monitor also seem nice solutions. Both can come in touchscreen variants.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Above mentioned integrated Screen is clone of original OEM Screen.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

My HTPC is in a closet. I can't see it from where I sit and watch TV and listen to music. The idea is to have it on a screen that you can see from 10 feet away. I could get one of the new net notebooks and run a wireless remote desktop connection, but that's a $400 to $500 solution. I appreciate the interest in helping so please keep the suggestions coming!

On the HTPC in a closet thing. When you do that, you don't have to be overly concerned with noise. I have a quite HTPC, but I had to nothing special to make it that way. I had my processor fan go bad on me, it made a huge racket until I got around to replacing it. But, I heard nothing in the room the HTPC serves.

I really like the monkey. We have an exercise bike in another room and we listen to playlists and watch visualizations while we work out. When I want to do maintenance on my audio library or add music to one of our portable players, I use the regular monitor interface.

Today's thinking is to create a new page for the MCE, lets say. MMaudio. MMaudio starts the Monkey and when monkey starts up it runs a script that pulls data to create a Music explorer tree on an MCE page. The MCE page picks this up and displays it. From MCE you select something to play and that in turn runs another script that tells the monkey to play it. If you integrate monkey toys into this all of a sudden you have stop start skip etc all built in.

From what I have read so far, the show a list and display it (scrolling lists) is pretty slow with the MCE interface. See posts in http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... fault.mspx.

Another option would be having a script generate just select parts of the Music Tree and display them in a much larger font. Make the Tree more page oriented. First page show you highest branch of the tree. When you select say either playlists or albums, it opens up a new page to display things.

Anything that lets me select and play music while sitting 10 to 12 feet away works for me. In my case, I can set a browser or the Monkey to be visible from that distance. Its just a strain to see it. Those of us with less than perfect vision, its not workable.

That are lots of ways to do this kind of thing. When you think about it, the work that was done to display things on small portable devices is applicable to this problem. its a problem of sizing things to the screen so that its visible under the operating conditions .
sourceminer

Post by sourceminer »

I have been trying to find the correct post for this, and I think as I have tested most of the Media Center Apps.

Microsoft's MCE is the most polished solution and VERY easy system to use (ask the wife). We have been using MCE since 2004 Version came out. I too now have MCE7.0 and its very cool, but yet again I am forced to use WMP, and its a resource HOG, However I have found that its really the one true app for MCE as everything is integrated. The problem that you will have with Monkey using a scripts based system is going to be the Lack of the Extender support.. like My Movies for MCE, you cant watch Ripped DVD's and certain file formats (mostly MSFT of course) are only supported, furthermore any mapped drives etc, you start to run into other issues. (MS Extenders really suck) However XBMC is the next best thing for extending from the MCE you loose Live TV. Mostly this is ok by me to gain PHP scripting and playing of Movies etc.

I propose that we have a auto update function from Media Monkey to WMP DB and back when your playing and rating songs in WMP.
Like http://jrmwillis.googlepages.com/ (music Bridge). You will gain functionality as its already tied into WMC.

My 2 cents.
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

It seems like xbmc would do what you want, except that it doesnt use your MM library ...

What I'm really hanging out for is a way to sync play info from the media monkey and xbmc library - I don't really care which one is the umm master library I guess, although it'd be nice if they just mirrored changes - but it would let me synch my ipod into MM, track playcounts from xmbx ... and have a much more accurate capture of my play/listening habits....

in fact I want to walk into my house and have my computer go 'hey dude, you look like you've been enjoying that kiwi dub you've been listening to, I'll start it playing on the stereo, but I'll mix in a little prog house after dinner, cause it's a friday and I know you'll want to start getting amped before you head out....'

XBMC is fine on the projector, itouch can control it with the xbmc app from any room in the house, or you can use the xbox remote in the main room ...

Seems a shame xbmc and mm don't work together too well at the moment, they're both the ultimate music platforms designed from different needs, but together could compliment for an awesome system from music management to great display and interface....
olekristian75

Post by olekristian75 »

A skin for this would really be appreciated
Peke

Post by Peke »

Just tested on Win 7 x64 using ATi Remote Wonder (also tested with Remote Wonder II and Remote Wonder+) and as they are Radio receivers No Issues.

Also I tested using Cyberlink Remote and few other IR Remotes connected on 5m USB extension Cable (With 1 -> 4 self powered USB hub) Without problems. It is just matter of Ideas.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum