POLL: More Powerful Ripping? (like EAC)

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

More powerful, precise, error-corrected ripping in MM? (like in EAC)

You may select 1 option

View results

DazB

Re: POLL: More Powerful Ripping? (like EAC)

Post by DazB »

Hi,

If you are bumping it for an answer that should really be in it's own thread...

I assume you are using the Virtual CD feature - someone else would have to comment (I don't believe it would be difficult) as I had my fingers burnt (naïvety?). I don't rip using MM can hide the associated CD tracks using filters. As any application I use can read from my local CDDB structure they are guaranteed to get the same results. MM stores the XMCD DISCID for the CD and I have it in the ripped files, but due to the limitations of the FreeDB implementation, I would link the albums or tracks via the AccurateRip, MusicBrainz and/or MusicIP identifiers.

Daz
ehart

Post by ehart »

I haven't been able to get EAC running on my machine. I'm sure it's possible, but it's a confusing, powerful piece of hacker-ware in my opinion, way beyond what most of normal users like me want to think about. For that reason, I think implementing a small subset of EAC functionality in MM is very worthwhile.

The simplest answer would be to offer two checkboxes in MM. One that just reports/logs errors (including the track and time offset of the error), with a further option to continue or stop on errors. That way the person would know they need to listen to a bad track and decide what is needed (the error log could even give a click box to listen to 10 seconds before and after the error - simple). Maybe nothing is needed - most errors aren't audible. If they later want to run EAC to try to recover the CD, go for it. But the first task in MM is just to let the user know that the copy wasn't perfect.

To go a step further, MM could also implement a checkbox that turns on "secure" ripping. This would implement an EAC-like functionality using common defaults. If people want lots of settings and tweaking, let them use EAC. If a CD can't be ripped error-free - eject it with a message, and again, let the user try EAC if they so desire.

So my thought is -- let the user know if there are errors, and even possibly implement basic "secure ripping" functionality. This prevents a user from wasting hundreds of hours ripping CDs that later turn out to have errors. For advanced functionality, let the user use EAC.

Cordially,

Eric Hart
lindholm

Post by lindholm »

I would really like to see MM licensing the EAC code, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

I use EAC for all my ripping and it would make my life a lot simpler if I could use MM knowing that
it will give the EAC quality.

George
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

@All: This feature is already planned for MM 4.0, which will follow the release of 3.1.2.

For this feature's specifics, see:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=243
It will also utilize AccurateRip: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=3165
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

nohitter151 wrote:@All: This feature is already planned for MM 4.0, which will follow the release of 3.1.2.
Wow! :o :D
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

Using the external tools script it's almost like having EAC built into MM now. To have it an official part of MM will be even better.

Jim
Aff

Post by Aff »

Currently there is no support for AccurateRip with the new ripping engine, which will keep me away from using it, as I can't be sure that a rip is error-free, especially if a CD makes difficulties with reading.
Would be great if AccurateRip were be possible.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Aff wrote:Currently there is no support for AccurateRip with the new ripping engine, which will keep me away from using it, as I can't be sure that a rip is error-free, especially if a CD makes difficulties with reading.
Would be great if AccurateRip were be possible.
It will be in Mediamonkey 4.0.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Aff

Post by Aff »

Great! I'm looking forward to 4.0.