Auto-hide Album Art

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Dibbz

Auto-hide Album Art

Post by Dibbz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Ok...album art is eye candy and I like eye candy. But the album art in the tree node make MediaMonkey feel clunky. I like it and I don’t wanna take it off but why is it always there??? Album art should auto-hide. It just sits there!!! Why not hide it when the mouse hovers over the tree node. It should fade out to give you more space to rummage through the tree node!!! Besides its not like well be staring at it the whole time while rummaging through the tree node! And if they don’t want it this way, it can always be an option!!!
Dibbz

Lowlander

Re: Auto-hide Album Art

Post by Lowlander » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:03 pm

That wouldn't work as the Album Art window is unrelated to the Explorer Tree and thus the explorer tree won't be the logical place to control this for all users. You can move it to any location/size you wish and with Ctrl+Alt+A you can quickly show/hide it.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Dibbz

Post by Dibbz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Lowlander wrote:That wouldn't work as the Album Art window is unrelated to the Explorer Tree and thus the explorer tree won't be the logical place to control this for all users. You can move it to any location/size you wish and with Ctrl+Alt+A you can quickly show/hide it.
Well what’s’ so hard in making a feature recognizes that the album art is pined to the tree node so it can make use of this feature. Besides the tree node is the best place to put it…im sure thats where most people put theirs. Cauze when u move it just gets in the way of everything else!!!
Dibbz

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Dibbz wrote:
Well what’s’ so hard in making a feature recognizes that the album art is pined to the tree node so it can make use of this feature. Besides the tree node is the best place to put it…im sure thats where most people put theirs. Cauze when u move it just gets in the way of everything else!!!
Just assuming everyone does and wants things the same way you do isn't a good way to go about adding new features. I would never want the art window in the tree.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Dibbz

Post by Dibbz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm

nohitter151 wrote: Just assuming everyone does and wants things the same way you do isn't a good way to go about adding new features. I would never want the art window in the tree.
I said it could be an option!!! And hey…this is a wish list right???
Dibbz

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Sure, but I don't see any real reason you'd need this. You can already show and hide the art window! What more do you need?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Dibbz

Post by Dibbz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:57 pm

nohitter151 wrote:Sure, but I don't see any real reason you'd need this. You can already show and hide the art window! What more do you need?
MORE!!! [greedy monster-ish voice]
LOL
Dibbz

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:29 pm

More = Ctrl+Alt+A

Dibbz

Post by Dibbz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Well I guess its about time for a noob like me to start using keyboard shortcuts. thx 4 da tip
Dibbz

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:04 pm

And remember your request stands, it's just that the users that responded so far don't like the idea.

MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Have a look in the Artwork Forum at the MediaMonkey Screenshots thread. I think you'll see some examples of where people like to have the album art panel and why.

I think one of the reasons people move it away from the tree is exactly what you mention: that they want as long a tree panel as possible a lot of the time.

Once you start to install scripts that involve another panel, you'll see that you can put two or more panels/panels in the same 'area' of MediaMonkey and you'll eventually settle on a place for the album art panel - maybe above MonkeyRok and/or Lyrics viewer on the right? or alongside your horizontal now playing panel under the main tracks list? anywhere you like.

Most skins will let you move the actual player itself too, so there's quite a lot of flexibility. It might help alleviate your problem.

If you keep the album art's titlebar visible (via right-click) you can obviously close it quickly with the close button in the titlebar. But yes, the Ctrl+Alt hotkeys are well worth getting familiar with. Not least, to get your album art panel back again!

Notice the Ctrl+Alt hokeys in the View Menu. They are your friends. MonkeyRok and Lyrics Viewer and more all use them too to open and close their panels. I particularly like Ctrl+Alt+T. Give it a try. It quickly hides your tree (and the album art if it's in the same 'area' as the tree) so you can see more columns in the main track panel.

Back on topic, I'm not going to vote for the "auto-hide when you hover over the tree" idea being the solution either. Try moving it, as I say. Check out the screenshots.