Automatic Resizing Of Album Art

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Solitaire001

Automatic Resizing Of Album Art

Post by Solitaire001 »

A feature I'd like to see added to a future version of MediaMonkey (MM) is that ability to resize existing album art. Specifically, the user can specify what size he/she wants the album art to be, and MM will automatically resize it to that size.

My player (a Sony NWZ-A818) has trouble displaying album when it is larger than 240 pixels by 240 pixels. Due to this, when album art is larger than that size I have to save the album art, delete it from the song, resize it to the proper size, and then insert it back into the song.

For me, the ideal way for this to be handled is that (I will use a desired size of 240 pixels X 240 pixels to illustrate):

- MM analyzes each album art file to determine if it exceeds the desired size.

- If the album art does exceed that size, it determines which dimension is larger (width or height)

- It adjusts the picture's size so that the larger dimension is the desired size, and the other dimension is adjusted by the proportional amount (if the album art is 300 pixels by 200 pixels, it is adjusted to the following size: 240 pixels x 160 pixels) to ensure that the album art retains its original shape.

This feature would provide a benefit to individual's with players that have size limitations for album art.
Last edited by Solitaire001 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyal

Re: Automatic Resizing Of Album Art

Post by Eyal »

I would like this feature too, but only when synchronizing to device.
Most of my album arts are 500x500 or 600x600 pixels, and I want to keep these sizes in my computer.

Actually, when synchronizing, there's an option to remove images from tags if larger than x KB, but I'm not looking for image filesize limit, but picture size limit. Reducing album art size only for specific device(s) would be great.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

Eyal wrote:I would like this feature too, but only when synchronizing to device.
Most of my album arts are 500x500 or 600x600 pixels, and I want to keep these sizes in my computer.

Actually, when synchronizing, there's an option to remove images from tags if larger than x KB, but I'm not looking for image filesize limit, but picture size limit. Reducing album art size only for specific device(s) would be great.
I agree that doing it while syncing would be great, especially if you use MediaMonkey (MM) to sync several players. One related feature that might help deal with album art (and provide a backup for it) is to have MM automatically make a backup copy of the album art for each album's lowest track in another folder when you add the music to MM (it names it by album artist and then album title [Example: "Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.jpg"). Another option would be the ability to right-click on a track (of select multiple tracks and then right-click on one of them ) and select "Create Backup" to send a backup to the folder that you select.

That way, you can always restore the original album art to your music even if you alter the album art in the tags. Since I only sync a single player with MM, I would just adjust the album art in each tag, but not without first making a backup and an automatic backup feature would take care of this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check out the Album Art Tagger script as it might be able to "backup" art like that. Auto-resize on sync has been requested before.
Orbi

Post by Orbi »

I second the development of a Auto-resize on sync feature. My nokia phone will not show any art above 300px. All my art saved to tags is above 1000px.
heartofhate

Post by heartofhate »

would be a really nice feature indeed.

there are still many devices which do not resize the album arts automatically.
satan4u

album art resizing

Post by satan4u »

I use to get all my album art manually and resize it to what I wanted, was a big task took a while to do
and I was hoping mediamonkey would take care of that however it seems the album art is all over the place in terms of resolution and i find myself having to resize it manually
is there a way to make album art resize when it gets downloaded?
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

My Album Art Tagger script might help you out with that - process 4 allows you to extract artwork and automatically resize. Depending on how you want to store your artwork, you might have to run a couple of different processes.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

My problem is identical to satan4u's. What is really annoying is sometimes when I do find one that is the right size and with the right color depth (the only one available at size), a small amount of its border(s) is white or is slightly distorted or obscured with a lighter/whitish outline. So, the ability to trim/crop the border with very small "increments" (as amount you can either type in or as preset or both) as well as "whole" preset resolutions.

Left, Right, Top, Bottom independent cropping would be an ideal feature. Although, if the developers decide to do anything like this natively, I'm sure it will be minimalistic and not an "album art swiss army knife". Still, seeing anything like this would be happy time! 8)
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
sechsterangriff

Resize/Compress cover art on syncing to portable device

Post by sechsterangriff »

Hi!
I'm probably not the first to suggest this but here it goes anyway.

As microSD cards capacity can now go upwards 200GB, some of us tend to store more and more music files on our portable devices. Now it's nothing out of the ordinary to have thousands of lossless tracks on these devices. However, some apps and firmware still don't deal very well with reading the tags and images of thousands of files leading to very slow operation or even crashes.
MediaMonkey already has a very useful feature that removes cover art beyond a user specified file size. But what I purpose is to go a step further and to allow to re-compress the cover art to a more widely accepted format, file size and resolution. This could be either done on syncing (adding quite a bit to the syincing time) or it could be some functionality to be added to tag editing or a device profile.

Cheers!
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
aag

Post by aag »

I'd like to second this feature request -- it looks like my Mazda is failing to display artwork over certain size, and even that intermittently. It'd be nice, if artwork could be altered, and limited to set dimensions when syncing.
goke313

Post by goke313 »

Would definitely love this feature My Pioneer headunit does not allow album art above 500x500
Deadcool

Post by Deadcool »

I'd love to see this as well. My Honda head unit only allows 100X100 artwork.
goz

Post by goz »

Add me to the wish list. I have the same problem. Car will only display 500x500- or smaller. It would be great to make that conversion whilst syncing.