Multiple Libraries?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

sommo

Post by sommo »

Wow...quick :)

Ok, im using the latest!
Creates a new short cut to the new EXE file then....

What does the batch file do?
SelectLibraryKeepReg.cmd
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Potentially useful if you prefer to maintain a separate mp3 mirror of your flac collection..

http://projects.robinbowes.com/trac/flac2mp3
jnelson2

Thank You for Multiple Libraries!!!

Post by jnelson2 »

onkel_enno wrote:I've updated the current Version of "Select Library" to work with MM2 and MM3.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4699#34699

Try it and let me know if it works for you!

Thank you for the script. First of all, it seems to work fine. I'm new to MM and started with a download of MM3. I love the versatility of MM, after having used a number of other Players. I travel constantly, and therefore maintain 2 libraries: a full library on my external drive, and a smaller subset on my native Laptop drive. Hence my interest in multiple libraries.
I have to questions though...merely questions of convenience. I ask mainly because I may overlooked the obvious solutions:
1. After adding a library in the opening window of LibrarySelector, is there a handy way to later delete it out of the available bullet-option list (ie: if you later change the library db name, etc..)?
2. Is there way to tell which library you are currently using from within MM3? (for example, you've been running the program for a while, and wish to make library-specific edits, and want to be certain you are altering the correct one). Of course you could simply close MM and reopen...perhaps there's a shortcut I don't know about...
Thanks for any attention you can offer,
Great Enhancement to a Fabulous program!!!!
J. :D
Music can make the merry weep, and yet cure the soul...let it not us part.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

1. You can edit the SelectLibrary.ini
2. No, sorry.
jnelson2

Thanks

Post by jnelson2 »

onkel_enno wrote:1. You can edit the SelectLibrary.ini
2. No, sorry.

Thanks for the quick response. Task accomplished :wink:
Music can make the merry weep, and yet cure the soul...let it not us part.
Timo_Beil

Re: Variable Path to MM.ini

Post by Timo_Beil »

Owyn wrote:Simplest implementation would be to support a command line parameter with the path to the desired library.
A more universal solution would be a command line paramater with the path to a specific Mediamonkey.ini.
We could select every imaginable configuration, not only different libraries, using different desktop icons.
This way is used in "Lotus Notes" for years to switch between a local , a roaming or a mobile profile on the same PC (espec. Notebooks)
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Owyn

Re: Variable Path to MM.ini

Post by Owyn »

Timo_Beil wrote:
Owyn wrote:Simplest implementation would be to support a command line parameter with the path to the desired library.
A more universal solution would be a command line paramater with the path to a specific Mediamonkey.ini.
We could select every imaginable configuration, not only different libraries, using different desktop icons.
This way is used in "Lotus Notes" for years to switch between a local , a roaming or a mobile profile on the same PC (espec. Notebooks)
Agreed
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
Seeker

Re: Multiple Libraries?

Post by Seeker »

I've now been here quite a while, have edited a Trixmoto script, and now have over 30000 items in a library.

The filters are wonderful. The program is wonderful.

STILL - multiple databases is a MUST in my opinion - it just is NOT the same as filters.

And I waited quite a while to say this again.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

And I still don't get why anyone using MM3 would want multiple libraries :(

If there is another scenario not listed here I would love to hear it

It is annoying that some nodes are not affected by filters but perhaps that is a wish for extended filter improvements rather than multiple libraries?
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Seeker, I am with you on this one.
multiple databases is a MUST.
:)
I have a library of 60,000+ and it covers an eclectic range which would benefit from segregation into various libraries.
But while using MM3 I cannot do this :(

You are quite correct...
it just is NOT the same as filters
And not only that I agree with you:
The program is wonderful
8)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
drichm

Post by drichm »

Seeker wrote:STILL - multiple databases is a MUST in my opinion - it just is NOT the same as filters.

And I waited quite a while to say this again.
I have also been quiet quite a while - and second this for the x'th time wholeheartedly.
MoDementia wrote:And I still don't get why anyone using MM3 would want multiple libraries :(
I need it so much I have started looking elsewhere. Obviously not all people would need it but then there are many features in MM that I do not need.

Dave
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Yet, still no one has outlined exactly what the advantage is?

All they keep saying is that they need it :(
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

I could use Multiple DBs to handle different network configurations and multiple users.
I have my local harddisk music directory, a NAS drive in my basement and a portable USB drive.

When I start MediaMonkey I need to define which configuration of drives I am using.
Currently I use different ini files and point to DB files on the different drives, then a small perl script switches the ini files around.
I am trying to store a MM.DB with the music to allow it to be used my the whole family from different machines.
Ideally I add a music storage to the current configuration if the storage is available.
This would involve a complicated database merge, possible but not easy.
Mayby there is a DB developer that wants to get his teeth in to a tricky problem!!

regards Graham
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

GrahamR wrote:I could use Multiple DBs to handle different network configurations and multiple users.
I have my local harddisk music directory, a NAS drive in my basement and a portable USB drive.
Wouldn't it simpler to just SHARE the database? It's easy to do, and no mess with config/duplication/trial and error.

MoDementia wrote:Yet, still no one has outlined exactly what the advantage is?

All they keep saying is that they need it :(
Right.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

I keep the NAS MM.DB on the NAS drive and point the ini file to it.
Works fine though MediaMonkey hates it when the connection is lost...
Other machines can use the same MM.DB.

When I am not connected to the NAS drive MediaMonkey does not start... No MM.DB.. No MediaMonkey.

I have to change the ini file to point to my local hard disk version of MM.DB which refers to my local music collection.
Then everything is working fine until I connect to my network and want to access my NAS drive again.

I don't see how sharing anything will solve this problem.
I wrote a perl script to swap ini files around and start MediaMonkey with the correct configuration. Kind of hacky but ok.
I still won't give up MediaMonkey cause it has the best tagging options I have seen but I can always ask for more :-)

What I would like is a menu item to open an MM.DB file like an "open recent file" menu in a text editor.
That would make life easy.

regards Graham