android

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

android

Post by guest » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 am

just wondering if the mediamonkey team developer is planning to develop a mediamonkey android application? i think it would be great. :D

Eyal

Re: android

Post by Eyal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:01 am

I don't think they will.

But there's MonkeyTunes that works with Android devices:
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

dwhieb

Post by dwhieb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:10 pm

+1 for a MM Android app! The basic Android music player really doesn't hold up - the Android market desperately needs something more robust to fill that void. I'd be quick on developing it too, since Double Twist seems to be picking up steam.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:11 pm

I'd vote against it, focus should be kept on the main application and make it the best out there.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

mingosu

Post by mingosu » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 am

Lowlander wrote:I'd vote against it, focus should be kept on the main application and make it the best out there.
Disagree - right now MediaMonkey doesn't do a two-way sync with an android device which is THE key feature of the current most popular media player *cough*iTunes/iPhone*cough* and IMO that is leading MM to be losing a lot of users and/or failing to attract iTunes/iPhone switchers. If you don't have this key feature, how can you be the best? Besides, the main application is already so feature rich now that any extra functionality is just filling in niche demands, which are probably being filled in by scripts anyway.

I'd say bring on the Android media player, the market is so ripe for one that is of the quality of MM right now.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:08 am

You're saying there is an iTunes Android application?

Finny

Post by Finny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 pm

No. iXxxx is all connected in a way in which it only works with other iXxxx. But they all work together "well".

If mediamonkey had an android app that would allow easy syncing between a phone or tablet and a computer with a whole lot of functionality, (maybe even wireless) then there would be a good and easy alternative to the iXxxx plague.

I agree that the stock android player blows something fierce, but I also doubt there will be a MMandroid app very soon... even though it would be awesome, it would simply be too much work.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 am

So iTunes can't sync with Android?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:42 am

Lowlander wrote:So iTunes can't sync with Android?
iTunes only syncs to iPods/iPhones/iPads.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 am

Exactly what I though, especially after the Palm debacle. Furthermore Android was the biggest selling OS in the US last month, bigger than iPhone.

Melloware

Post by Melloware » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:10 am

As an iPhone and Android developer myself, the biggest problem with Android is its biggest asset. Let me try and explain.

iPhone/iPad/iTouch = One SDK tightly controlled by Apple on hardware tightly controlled by Apple. They all work the exact same running the exact same OS. This makes it nice for developers knowing they won't have to figure out what is wrong with your hardware when you submit a bug.

Android - Tablets, phones, embedded devices too many to count. I have two friends both running Android 2.1. One has an HTC Incredible one has the new Motorola DroidX. Would you believe our company email works on one but not the other? How can that be you ask? Because each Android platform is a brand new jungle with custom software and OS features loaded by the manufacturer (HTC and Motorola in this example).

So essentially what I am saying is Android is not a one size fits all and debugging and coding for ALL the limitless possible combination of Android (OS and hardware) is not an easy task. In fact it is expensive and time draining if it is not your core business like MediaMonkey's.

Just trying to shed some developer perspective.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

asnet007

Post by asnet007 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:25 am

Yes Android does sync with I-tunes. Its a 2 way sync so if i rate something on the phone it updates the library. it also updates play counts. I would love to leave i-tunes and use MM but not until it works better.

look at isyncr for android - http://jrtstudio.blogspot.com/2010/01/isyncr-faq.html

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am

asnet007 wrote:Yes Android does sync with I-tunes. Its a 2 way sync so if i rate something on the phone it updates the library. it also updates play counts. I would love to leave i-tunes and use MM but not until it works better.

look at isyncr for android - http://jrtstudio.blogspot.com/2010/01/isyncr-faq.html
That's not an itunes feature though. It's a third party thing.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

asnet007

Post by asnet007 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:29 am

Well yes. I cant see Steve adding support for Googles android, can you?

The point is its a very very small app that looking through these and other forums many many people want on MM and its not been done, so we all have to use pants tunes. MM supports scripts and apps anyways so why is it an issue to add as a script, app or something to the software that allows a proper sync with MM.

zombiefly

Post by zombiefly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:09 am

i originally raised this some time ago here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... id#p267318

I've just updated that post with some info but then found this thread which is more current. Maybe this is a better place to continue the discussion?

iSyncr seems to be reliant on the lastfm scrobbling as it's playcount mechanism, which i've also used myself in my string/tin can solution.

I really wish something could be done about this, it's ruining my library stats, which i've been really really petty about for years! :)

I've been trying to fudge something together myself using bits i've found around the forums etc, but it's solely based on play counts. See what you think? Maybe this method will work if we can fix the issues detailed below with the scripts?

I'm a programmer by day and can usually turn my hand to most things technical, maybe we can create what's missing in this equation between ourselves?

I'll repeat my post here:
i've got mediamonkey sort of syncing with android playcounts, but the whole process is convoluted beyond belief and complicated by the fact that my fav android player is currently unable to scrobble.... but....

1. on my phone i use a scrobbling player, which is set to only scrobble if i play more than 50% of a track.
2. In mediamonkey i'm using an auto-rate script (found on this forum, but i forget which one at the moment). I find this does a pretty good job of auto rating based on last played, play count, skip etc.
3. In mediamonkey i'm using a script to sync my lastfm play counts back (found on this forum, but again i don't have the details to hand). This appears to be doing something near what I want, although my testing is giving some odd results i've not had time to look into yet. It also asks if i want to update last played, but doesn't appear to actually update the field.
4. I have an auto-playlist, which contains high rated tracks that haven't been played for >30 days.
5. I have my phone synced to media monkey, set to use a random selection from auto-playlist described in 4. above.

So, I sync phone. Go to work, play music. Phone updates lastfm with simple playcount info, but only if i listen to 50+% of the track.
periodically, I run the lastfm playcount script. This updates mediamonkey with the playcount values, which generally are +1 from lastfm as i played the track outside of MM. The autorate script then runs over the updated MM database, taking into account updated played count from lastfm. This process in turn alters the content of the autoplaylist, which can then be used to update the phone with a fresh set of highly rated tracks.

Is there a better way of doing this yet? I need to spend some time checking for new versions of scripts etc as it's some time since I set this up and i've been testing the cycle for some time and it does work quite well, although I have odd results from the lastfm sync script and it doesn't seem to be updating the last played date.

Any suggestions for improvement? I really wish this could be resolved properly somehow, but that would involve some kind of interaction with an android component & mediamonkey?
MM4 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 3 64GB | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud