Synch to local folder or network share folder?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

windcrest77

Synch to local folder or network share folder?

Post by windcrest77 »

In the Synch device / Configure device dialog. There is a list of devices to synch to as well as one for a generic local USB external drive.

Would it be difficult in the next release to add "Network share or local folder" as a device plug-in too?

So people who want to keep a network file server synched to some result set can do that or if you just want to keep another computer on your network physically synched to a master computer. Or if you just want to maintain a second copy of media on the same machine in a different folder using a synch rule.

As always, there maybe is a way to do this already and I am just not aware of it, I think it should be do-able without a third party script though, this seems like a basic core functionality kind of thing. In essence an iPod or phone is just another "drive" too, right? So why not allow any network folder or local folder path to also be a synch qualifying device.

Thanks
nohitter151

Re: Synch to local folder or network share folder?

Post by nohitter151 »

You can already do it with the USBmass plugin, just map your local folder or network drive to a drive letter, then configure the USBmass plugin to sync to that drive letter.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... st#p202895
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

PS. although syncing to mapped network drive is no issue (and the required method), it's best to add files from the network using the UNC path instead of a mapped path.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

nohitter151 wrote:You can already do it with the USBmass plugin, just map your local folder or network drive to a drive letter, then configure the USBmass plugin to sync to that drive letter.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... st#p202895

Thanks this method is working great, I am resynching my netbook through the Z: drive as we speak, (Z: is mapped to the network share/machine name and folder on the netbook). I think I prefer this method over Copy/Paste as I assume synch is checking the last modified timestamp so it will not re-copy stuff that doesn't need to be re-copied. It's chugging along, should be done in about another 15 minutes or so :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When using AutoSync only new/changed files should be synced on next sync.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
colin_e

Post by colin_e »

I would strongly support this request.

My teenage children are now heading off to University, and so I like to set up their laptop PC with a pre-encoded MP3 copy of our music library. The music library is a few hundred CD albums stored in FLAC format. It takes somewhere between several hours and a couple of days to batch-convert the whole library, so i don't want to do this more than once.

This should be easy, just set up MediaMonkey to sync the Library (stored on a NAS drive) with a local disc folder as a large one-off exercise, then copy the encoded MP3s over the network to the laptop(s). Ideally it would also be easy to Sync any new music as a change.

However in MusicMonkey by default only external devices (e.g. MP3 players or USB memory sticks) are recognised as valid sync targets. This is a pain. Because of the time it takes to encode the full library I would far rather take uo some disk space, do the conversion once and then just copy it over.

I am aware of the tricks using "SUSBST" in windows to create a pseudo drive letter. However-

1) it shouldn't be necessary to poke around in the command line to dothis, this is a core function I want from MediaMonkey.

2) Although in XP this worked ok, Windows 7 64 bit is giving me some problems, MM doesn'tseem to see the drive created with SUBST.

I support the request for Ventis to add a (trivially simple) "local drive folder / network drive folder" sync driver otion to MediaMonkey, the value would be out of all proportion to the effort required to do this.

Please add this to the Official Wishlist ASAP

Regards: C Evans
Regards: Colin
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

There are already a couple of addons that essentially already provide this feature:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=57441
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713

Not to mention that you can use MM's auto organize (tools > Auto-organize) to not only move but also copy tracks to any location.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
colin_e

Post by colin_e »

nohitter151 wrote:There are already a couple of addons that essentially already provide this feature:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=57441
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713

Not to mention that you can use MM's auto organize (tools > Auto-organize) to not only move but also copy tracks to any location.
Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them addresses what I want to do.

The first plugin is a Linux solution to build a parallel media directory structure using symbolic links. Interesting but not relevant to my situation. I'm running MM on Windows, not Linux, and a symbolic link gives you an (effectively) duplicate file, not a conversion (see below).

The second plugin writes media to iTunes as a pseudo-device. I have no need or desire to run iTunes on my PC just to get MP3s out of MediaMonkey. One key reason I bought MediaMonkey in the first place was to stay well away from iTunes.

I'm aware you can use the auto-organiser to move stuff around, although I wasn't aware that it could effectively copy. However this still misses out on a key part of what i'm trying to do. I have ~50GB of FLAC files that I want to sync and convert to MP3. I specifically want the file encoding/conversion capability of the sync function, which is very powerful given the rule-based conversions.

I now have the SUBST method working again (the issue was to do with visibility of SUBST drives at different privilege levels), but the fact is it's a workaround. It requires mucking about in the command line and using up drive letters (which is something I have taken pains to avoid in my setup of Windows 7).

Everything else about MM is point and click. Outputting to a folder needs to be that simple too.

Regards: colin_e
Regards: Colin