gpu acceleration in MM?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Dreadlau

gpu acceleration in MM?

Post by Dreadlau »

Hello.

I recently purchased a new graphic card. ( sapphire hd6850 toxic edition )
And I'm wondering:
-Is there already some gpu acceleration in MM?
-Is there room for improvement in that area?
-In that case what are the various things that could get a boost in performance and or rendering using gpu acceleration.

Thank you!
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Thanasis

Re: gpu acceleration in MM?

Post by Thanasis »

Good Question....

No Reply
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I don't think it's necessary at all. MM is not a graphic game software, performance relies mostly on its underlying database engine.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Eyal wrote:I don't think it's necessary at all. MM is not a graphic game software, performance relies mostly on its underlying database engine.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not game software. Yet they use the gpu to render the interface.
heartofhate

Post by heartofhate »

isn't the glass effect handled by the gpu?
i think i have read somewhere at some time something about this...
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Dreadlau wrote:
Eyal wrote:I don't think it's necessary at all. MM is not a graphic game software, performance relies mostly on its underlying database engine.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not game software. Yet they use the gpu to render the interface.
What I meant is that even with faster GPU rendering, MM won't be faster because disk access and database response time are slower.

Even so, do you really think you'll manage your library faster with graphic performance boost?

If you want to make MM faster, increase RAM and install it - along with MM.DB and Temp directory - on a fast SSD drive.
That was my setup until last week, before my SSD died... :cry:
Now it's back to my regular hard drive, and MM seems so slow ... :(
But my music is still to my liking ! :D

Cheer MM!

Eyal :~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Eyal wrote:
Dreadlau wrote:
What I meant is that even with faster GPU rendering, MM won't be faster because disk access and database response time are slower.

Even so, do you really think you'll manage your library faster with graphic performance boost?

If you want to make MM faster, increase RAM and install it - along with MM.DB and Temp directory - on a fast SSD drive.
That was my setup until last week, before my SSD died... :cry:
Now it's back to my regular hard drive, and MM seems so slow ... :(
But my music is still to my liking ! :D

Cheer MM!

Eyal :~)
Well I was just posting a question.
I don't know the answer myself. I'm not a developer.

But I'm especially thinking about the interface rendering.
My understanding is that the instant and (almost) perfectly fluid animations and rendering of the windows in Vista/7 is thanks to the gpu acceleration.
And I read now and there that some parts of some commonly used programs are now using gpu acceleration. Like internet browsers or even photoshop.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

It makes sense for internet browsers or photoshop, because images/textures/graphics, etc. may have to be rendered immediately for viewing. There's really nothing comparable in MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Rojer

Post by Rojer »

MM does not have any graphics to render, no point in using gpu whatsoever.

As for performance gain, I found that disk access is indeed the bottleneck and, despite Mm being the best at handling large collections, it can still feel sluggish. At first, I ran an auto-defrag script on the db file, which helped, but not good enough. Going for flash memory was the worst option : thousands of writes a day will kill it in few months.

I went for a ramdisk. Now MM behave like WMP with a 12 songs collection :)

Never looked back...
ma_t14

Post by ma_t14 »

Rojer wrote:MM does not have any graphics to render, no point in using gpu whatsoever.

As for performance gain, I found that disk access is indeed the bottleneck and, despite Mm being the best at handling large collections, it can still feel sluggish. At first, I ran an auto-defrag script on the db file, which helped, but not good enough. Going for flash memory was the worst option : thousands of writes a day will kill it in few months.

I went for a ramdisk. Now MM behave like WMP with a 12 songs collection :)

Never looked back...
But how can a ramdisk be useful if it gets wiped every time a computer shuts down?? For temporary files it sounds like a good enough idea but for storing the database it doesn't make sense to me. The database will be wiped on next restart/shut down. Maybe I got my facts wrong so correct me if I do...