Word Filter for Add/Rescan Files Feature

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Exaxxion

Word Filter for Add/Rescan Files Feature

Post by Exaxxion »

I think it would be a great addition to have Mediamonkey able to have filters for adding or rescanning tracks to the library; This would allow even more control than simply limiting the scan to certain filetypes.

For example, you would have a directory containing the following files:

music001WORD.mp3
music001.wma
music002.mp3

Currently, the above files can be limited to allow only *.mp3 or only *.wma extensions to limit the scope of the scan. However, if a filter were added, you could extend this to include string search functions.

For example, searching the above directory for all formats for "001" inclusive with the filter would yield:

music001WORD.mp3
music001.wma

Or, searching for "WORD" exclusive would return:

music001.wma
music002.mp3

I think this would greatly enhance the file management features of MediaMonkey, and I can't imagine that I am the only one who feels this way. Please take this in consideration for future releases :)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This sounds like it could be useful, but I'm not really sure why.

Why not just scan all your tracks? I think I keep my music much more simplistically organised than most people. I also use File Monitor, so I never need to rescan my tracks of course.

I'm sure you're right, that this is a feature a lot of people would appreciate. One person was saying they wanted to rescan a single track (why????) and this could be used to do that.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
pietzke

Post by pietzke »

Ahh, another great wish digging out tonight. I had asked for this some time ago, but seemed to be no need for others.

It would be great for me. I usually like to monitor my complete HD, because my Music is found on different places for some reasons. But there is also some stuff that I do not like to be in my library, such as samples, loops and sounds for Cubase, Frooty Loops and sort of thing. Filters for adding, scanning and monitoring would make it possible.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

There are so many ways to filter views inside MM

Bomb Rating

Custom Comments

Genre

etc etc

Why not scan everthing and seperate them inside MM?
pietzke

Post by pietzke »

Because I do not want them in MM! Would mean to filter any playlist, Node, etc. Look, clicking on the Title Node schows everything you have, no filters. I often do that, sorting by any column and scrolling throuh the entire library. Few hundred lines of audiostuff, which is no real music is just annoying. You can ignore by size and by lenght. Why not by word?
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

How about
...\My Music\Good MM Stuff
and
...\My Music\Other Non MM Stuff

???
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The first step would not to scan the whole harddrive (in case you did). This prevents MediaMonkey from picking up Windows and other applications sounds. The second step could be like MoDementia suggested.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

How about doing like this in WinXP for example.

Start - Search and type your WORD to search for.

Then select all these WORD files, and use cut/paste to move them to a location that you not scan with MM.

After doing such an exercise may want to do the File - Locate Moved/Missing tracks in MediaMonkey.

Just a suggestion that MAY work for you.

Another solution, if you have the Gold version of MM, you can tell your AutoPlaylists to NOT include media files containing a certain word in their Path/Filename
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

While this is a valid solution for low to zero-traffic directories, it is impractical for the higher traffic ones. The idea with setting this kind of a system would be for directories that require you to have to do what DiddeLeeDoo suggested many times for it to be remotely effective.

Another thing to consider is that MediaMonkey Gold supports file monitoring. Every time a file is added to that high-traffic directory that you don't want added to MediaMonkey, it will be added and need to be removed manually. By supporting a scan filtering system, you could avoid the hassle.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Hmmm, I can't say anymore or I'm likely to get myself into hot water.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

I just thought another option is AutoPlaylist with maybe setting the Path/Filename to a certain word, would give you the files you want to remove from the library. Just another way to do it. BTW the AutoPlaylists and Edit-Search in MM seems similar in that regard. I simply try to suggest something as a solution now, and my suggestion, if not relevant, can be ignored of course.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What kind of setup do you have and how do files become into existence. It sounds like a server with many connected users?
This information might help in creating a solution for the current MediaMonkey. It's up to the developers to add easier solutions to the next version.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
pietzke

Post by pietzke »

It's actually two computers. My personal one and a server, with many different places to find Music.

Well, I just selected all the different Folders and subfolders, where Music could be found to Monitor. Took some time to find them all, but works good for me now. Thanks for suggestions.