Auto-Organize Remap Characters [#9196]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

renowden

Auto-Organize Remap Characters [#9196]

Post by renowden » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Not so much a bug as a suggestion for improvement.

The remap table in MediaMonkey.ini [FilenameMappings] shopuld map 2E=2D as well as the existing default ones.

Justification - 2E is the dot character. A dot on the start of a file name can make files invisible on some NAS systems and to Linux/Unix/Mac systems that share the volume. A dot on the end of a file name can create havoc with some windows programs, particularly when sent via eMail.
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Wishlist
Cheers,

Rick Parsons

BitPusher

Re: Auto-Organize Remap Characters

Post by BitPusher » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm

I do NOT want the Period characters I painstakingly put in filenames to be replaced with Hyphens by default. My main MM is a portable install on a Synology NAS (Lynix) and I have had no problems with the Period characters.

If this can be limited to just the first and/or last character of a filename, that is ok but the FilenameMappings seem to apply to the entire filename which is not acceptable.

If Ventis decides to change this default behavior in an update, I hope it is made very clear in the release notes so I change it back before running my main MM install.

BitPusher

renowden

Post by renowden » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 am

If it is possible to do it to first and last then that would be even better. Mentioning it in the release notes is essential; anyway - however your use of them must be pretty unusual.
Cheers,

Rick Parsons

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am

It does seem to be a serious issue, but only one that affects some. Added as: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9196
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

BitPusher

Re: Auto-Organize Remap Characters [#9196]

Post by BitPusher » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:53 pm

@renowden

Maybe I don't understand your issue, but don't most people include a Title in a filename? Maybe I'm doing something completely different. Here are two examples of filenames, part of which is the Title, containing Periods I wouldn't want removed:

Mr. Bojangles{Nitty Gritty Dirt Band{1970{RTR-Tape-OPS35A{05{Various{.FLAC

String Quartet op. 64 No. 5 in D major (The Lark) Hob. III- 63-[2] Adagio cantabile{Haydn, Joseph{Caspar da Salo Quartett{PILZ_CD160116{06{Caspar da Salo Quartett{.flac

However, your post brings back memories of when program defaults were changed (not MM) that caused problems either because they were unannounced or that I was careless in reading the release notes. Even though I run daily backups of my NAS MUSIC directory, it would be a pain to have to restore if it can be avoided. So what I'm going to do is make a copy of my MediaMonkey.ini file then every day run SuperC to see what, if any, "normal" changes are made to become familiar with them. Then when I install a new version of MM I'll run the compare again to see what, if anything, "not normal" changed. If I see any changes I don't like I can revert them before they do any "damage".

BitPusher

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:47 pm

The problem lies with the Title starting with . and subsequently the filename too. On Linux systems this sets the file to hidden which would mean that MediaMonkey wouldn't be able to add those files to it's Library (files already in are unaffected) and of course users that don't show hidden files wouldn't see them in Explorer either.

So
Mr. Bojangles{Nitty Gritty Dirt Band{1970{RTR-Tape-OPS35A{05{Various{.FLAC
isn't a problem
.some title.FLAC
would be.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

renowden

Post by renowden » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 am

Hi, Lowlander has picked up the real issue - I would also point out that
some title..FLAC
can also cause problems with some third party software.

@BitPusher

Just for completeness I will explain. MM already changes certain characters which presumably you are coping with. This set increased with the release of v4, I think, which now bans :<>\/?* and possibly others and we cope. Yes, most people do include a Title in a file name but they don't use it as a primary reference, the tags and database do that so

Mr- Bojangles{Nitty Gritty Dirt Band{1970{RTR-Tape-OPS35A{05{Various{.FLAC
String Quartet op- 64 No- 5 in D major (The Lark) Hob- III- 63-[2] Adagio cantabile{Haydn, Joseph{Caspar da Salo Quartett{PILZ_CD160116{06{Caspar da Salo Quartett{.flac

is quite adequate for that - we are not talking about changing the tags or database.
Cheers,

Rick Parsons