Remove Classical Collection

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

teapot

Remove Classical Collection

Post by teapot »

Why was ONE genre singled out to be handled differently than ALL other music genres ? Please remove this anomaly from MM so that all music shows up under the Music Collection.
MM Gold:Lifetime version 4.1.25.1895
Windows 7
Denon AVR-X2600H
LG TV OLED65C9PUA
Wired LAN connections
rovingcowboy

Re: Remove Classical Collection

Post by rovingcowboy »

I believe it was done to make the database more able to handle the many issues classic music uses in id of songs and albums. By allowing for a different section in the database to hold it in.

I'm not completely sure on that but it seems what is going on. :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can remove/change Collections under File > Manage Collections (Gold feature). The reason it was included was based on user requests for it.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

They already changed this in version 4.0.3:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8974

Note that if you installed MM prior to 4.0.3 your old Music collection will keep the same rules. So you would need to start with a new database in order to get the new Music collection with the new rules. (if you don't have MM Gold)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

nohitter151 wrote:So you would need to start with a new database in order to get the new Music collection with the new rules.
Or edit the Music Collection (Gold feature) to include Type = Classical Music or use the Entire Library (available in free version too) Collection.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Lowlander wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:So you would need to start with a new database in order to get the new Music collection with the new rules.
Or edit the Music Collection (Gold feature) to include Type = Classical Music or use the Entire Library (available in free version too) Collection.
That's why it became such an annoying issue for me. I had upgraded to MM4 on my old computer, so hadn't run into this feature. I started with a new database when I moved all my tracks to the new computer, so it seemed to appear unexpectedly. Had it not been done automatically, it never would have been an issue. I'm not a fan of application installations just doing things without asking me first. I believe the default should be to NOT do this automatically, but offer it as an option.

I finally stumbled upon the fix using the new Type field, so it's no longer an issue for me.
MM Gold:Lifetime version 4.1.25.1895
Windows 7
Denon AVR-X2600H
LG TV OLED65C9PUA
Wired LAN connections
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

teapot wrote:
Lowlander wrote:
That's why it became such an annoying issue for me. I had upgraded to MM4 on my old computer, so hadn't run into this feature. I started with a new database when I moved all my tracks to the new computer, so it seemed to appear unexpectedly. Had it not been done automatically, it never would have been an issue. I'm not a fan of application installations just doing things without asking me first. I believe the default should be to NOT do this automatically, but offer it as an option.
That IS the default. As I said, it's been changed.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

nohitter151 wrote:That IS the default. As I said, it's been changed.
MM still changes the type of music that has the word 'classical' in the genre tag to classical music for me. Are you saying it shouldn't be doing that anymore?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, on first scan of files MediaMonkey will still assign Type = Classical Music if Genre contains Classical: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _Rules/4.0

However those who do a fresh install of MediaMonkey 4.0.7 (new DB) will have Type = Classical Music enabled for the Music Collection so by default Classical Music will be shown in the Music Collection.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Yeah, didn't think it was fixed. Too bad.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I presume that any "fixing" hinges on expanding the Type to custom Types and custom rules to assign Type which is a major change. In the meanwhile users can customize Collection criteria (you can use Genre instead of Type for example and it amounts to exactly the same result as custom Type assignment) or you can change the Type assignment.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Yes, i'm aware of these possibilities, but MM still defaults to tagging my music with a type that I did not ask for, resulting in me having to set up a workaround.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't tag the files, it assigns a Type which is an internal mechanism. Improvements were planned by the developers, however the (most likely) methods of those improvements are in the exact same form already available.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey doesn't tag the files, it assigns a Type which is an internal mechanism. Improvements were planned by the developers, however the (most likely) methods of those improvements are in the exact same form already available.
It tags my files as either classical music or not, upon being added to the library. It doesn't matter if that means it makes an internal difference or actually use a tag field or something all together different. The software makes a distinction by default which is undesirable.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's an internal mechanism which doesn't have to affect anything at all.

You see if custom Type assignment would be implemented you'd create a rule like If Genre x, y, z set Type A. This exact rule can already be done in the Collections thus bypassing Type altogether and getting the exact result you desire, and it can already be done. Now I'm not saying custom types and custom type assignment shouldn't be implemented, but you can already do exactly what it would do in 1 step less.