Remember Playback Position

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Vertigo50

Remember Playback Position

Post by Vertigo50 » Wed May 10, 2006 12:28 pm

Itunes now has a checkbox for "Remember Playback Position" and "Skip When Shuffling". It not only works in Itunes, but transfers over to the Ipod as well. AND, once it is checked in Itunes, it will still transfer to the Ipod, even if I transfer the file using MediaMonkey, which means it is marked INSIDE THE FILE somehow. So it should be easy to have this option in MediaMonkey as well. What would be great, is if MediaMonkey could integrate this into Auto-playlists as well, where I could have an auto-playlist that says any time a file is the Genre "Audiobook" or "Podcast", automatically apply these options.

That might be a stretch, but I'd be happy with just being able to select a bunch of files and apply it all at once. Right now Itunes only does it one file at a time. :evil:

Would a script be possible, even?

jiri

Post by jiri » Wed May 10, 2006 1:29 pm

Actually it's already implemented and should work fine (for tracks with a genre that contains 'audiobook' string). We plan to make this more configurable for the next versions, but for now it should work at least this way.

Jiri

Vertigo50

Post by Vertigo50 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:39 pm

I have noticed it works with Audiobooks.

I have two questions, though:

1. Is this a feature of MediaMonkey, that it makes all "Audiobooks" genre bookmarkable, or a feature of the iPod?

2. Why not make this happen with the genre "Podcast", as they tend to be long as well?

It would be great to have the option to turn this on and off, as well, and as I said, it would be really cool to have it integrated into playlists, although, I guess it would not be necessary if it does it by Genre automatically.

P.S. Thanks for the reply. One of the reasons I love MediaMonkey is that the developers answer questions directly from time to time. :)

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed May 10, 2006 7:28 pm

My understanding is that it is an MediaMonkey feature. The question if it's compatible with the iPod like iTunes is.

For now you will need to include the name Audiobooks in the genre. One would expect that adding podcast would be able to be done in 2.5.3 but keep your fingers crossed as it's almost out.
For now you could use a workaround by including Audiobooks in the podcast genre. Then when it's supported you can rename the genre back to podcast.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Vertigo50

Post by Vertigo50 » Thu May 11, 2006 12:48 am

Lowlander wrote:My understanding is that it is an MediaMonkey feature. The question if it's compatible with the iPod like iTunes is.

For now you will need to include the name Audiobooks in the genre. One would expect that adding podcast would be able to be done in 2.5.3 but keep your fingers crossed as it's almost out.
For now you could use a workaround by including Audiobooks in the podcast genre. Then when it's supported you can rename the genre back to podcast.
Actually, that had already occurred to me. I was planning on naming the genre "Audiobook" and change the artist to "Podcast".

That way, the podcasts don't clutter up the list when I search by Artist, and I can still browse by album.

I still hope they add the Podcast default as bookmarking option, as well as the option to make ANY file bookmarkable with a simple option.

jiri

Post by jiri » Thu May 11, 2006 1:56 am

We planned to make a better support for podcasts in the next major version, but this request seems to make sense at least for now. I'll try to fit that 'Podcast' genre fix into MM 2.5.3.

Jiri

Vertigo50

Post by Vertigo50 » Thu May 11, 2006 4:38 pm

jiri wrote:We planned to make a better support for podcasts in the next major version, but this request seems to make sense at least for now. I'll try to fit that 'Podcast' genre fix into MM 2.5.3.

Jiri
Yeah, I don't see any real downside to it, and if you had time to put it as an option, where you could turn it on or off for each one, that might be cool, but I would want them both on either way, so I'm happy.

By the way, I'm not a programmer or anything, but if there's any way I can help with giving you information or sending you sample files or anything, let me know.

P.S. You guys ROCK!

Vertigo50

Post by Vertigo50 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:22 pm

I have one other question, and suggestion, to add to this.

Does MM automatically mark Audiobooks as "Skip in Shuffle" also?

That is, when the player is in shuffle mode, it knows to skip anything with the Audiobook genre. This is an iTunes option.

If this is already a feature, could you add this option to the "Podcast" genre as well? If it's not a feature, this might be something to look into. It's got to be a fairly simple little switch in the file somewhere, as iTunes can mark both these options within the file, and Mediamonkey will retain them when sent to the iPod.

jiri

Post by jiri » Thu May 18, 2006 3:17 am

These changes will be in the next release of MM 2.5.3.

Jiri

Ankush Varma

Listen to Podcasts in random order

Post by Ankush Varma » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:41 pm

I'd like to listen to my Podcasts (as well as the rest of my music) in random order. Some of my podcasts are rather long, and when I play them again, I'd like each of them to start off where it lefty off last time.

My options are:
- Set genre=podcasts. This enables bookmarking, but also enabled "skip when shuffling". Now I can't just click on podcasts on my iPod and expect to play a random one.

- Set genre != podcasts. Now I can listen to them while shuffling, but can't start off where I left off.

I would like some way to get bookmarks=true and skip while shuffling = false.

What are my options?

charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL » Thu May 24, 2007 3:23 am

jiri wrote:Actually it's already implemented and should work fine (for tracks with a genre that contains 'audiobook' string). We plan to make this more configurable for the next versions, but for now it should work at least this way.

Jiri
Jiri, Rusty,

Will this (a checkbox for skip when shuffling and remember playback position) be a feature of MM 3 ?

Thanks in advance,

charlieMOGUL

jiri

Post by jiri » Thu May 24, 2007 11:42 am

In MM 3.0 you can configure genre(s) that support this feature. We are yet evaluating whether it will be the final solution or whether it will change slightly in MM 3.0 final.

Jiri

Owyn

Bump

Post by Owyn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:10 am

Must be blind. Can't find where to enable this for podcasts.

Update:
Still not sure where the function is enabled but works a treat by default. I jumped several times between two podcast episodes in the playlist and playback resumed perfectly each time. No pause, just jump (ie. select another track in the playlist).

Nice.
Last edited by Owyn on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:13 am

It's under Filters and Views > Podcasts > Configure

Match Any:

Status is podcast
Genre contains 'podcast'
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes

Owyn

Post by Owyn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:30 am

spacefish wrote:It's under Filters and Views > Podcasts > Configure

Match Any:

Status is podcast
Genre contains 'podcast'
Tx. I am testing with Standard and this is a Gold feature. Can not configure (or view) default filters with Standard. Noted for future reference.