MM4 still supported?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: MM4 still supported?

Post by Peke »

Hi,

Re Auto-Tag: You can click on Album/Artist/Title/... to edit and it will show you available finds.

Re Discogs: I think it is in work by developer of MM4 one, but no estimate time when it will be released

Re Remove Disk #: I have not observed that and you can Disable Disk # under Options in Auto-Tag.

Re Zero Pad: It depends on user preference, but I know why some prefer Zero padded Track/Disk #. I personally prefer to have full control over Zero padding when do Filename manipulation (eg. Auto Organize) and have tags non padded.

Let me know if you have more questions and suggestions?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Re 32 bit: To my understanding, we may release a 64 bit version in the future, but doing so will require twice the amount of testing. Additionally, there aren't many performance benefits to a 64 bit program over 32 bit, and ideally we don't want MM5 to require 4GB RAM anyways.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
alienbiker99

Post by alienbiker99 »

Hello,

Since it was asked in this thread about reasons for not moving to MM5 full time.

Is there any plans to improve the auto tag interface in MM5?

The MM4 interface is so much more intuitive and allows for batch updating albums in a few seconds.

The MM5 interface is miles slower. Each track has to be individually checked and just is not intuitive when coming from the previous system that worked so well.

MM4 is my library manager for tagging as it can pull in data from musicbrainz. MM4 tends to be more intuitive and quicker to use than the musicbrainz picard tool as well, in my opinion.

That is probably the biggest factor for me not moving to MM5 full time.

Thank you for your consideration
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Tag from Web is done via a Third Party Addon in MediaMonkey 4 instead of via a build in method available again in MediaMonkey 5. Third Parties can still develop their own Auto-Tag options in MediaMonkey 5, but the one for MediaMonkey 4 has not been updated for MediaMonkey 5.
alienbiker99

Post by alienbiker99 »

alright thanks. I'll continue to use MM4 for my tagging needs for the the foreseeable future, thanks.
charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Here's my 2 cents.

I have a collection of around 55000 tracks. In general, I use MediaMonkey to extensively tag and organize music - less so for actual playing. Therefor, for me the organization part is way more important than the player part.
MediaMonkey 5 seems to be focused on the player part, and less on the organization / maintenance of a large library.

Extensions I often use are
+ Advanced Duplicate Find and Fix
+ Discogs Tagger
+ Last 100...
+ PlayHistory & Stats
+ Custom Fields Tagger"

In general, the interface of MediaMonkey 5 feels slower. To me at least it is less intuitive to quickly change. For instance I can't seem to figure out in MediaMonkey 5 how to customize the 'simplified' list in "Playing list" (e.g. a summary of title - artist - mood - genre instead of different fixed-width columns).

It could be that the learning curve is somewhat steep and that there are also advantages of using MM5, but for now, I do not see any need nor reason to change to 4. MediaMonkey 4 does exactly what I would like it to do: Be a ROCKSTAR in organizing and maintaining a large music database.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

As a reply to the comments from all of you:
Thank you for the honest criticism and feedback. Know that I've read each of your replies. We'll continue to work on MM5, its feature set and its repository of addons, and I hope that you'll be more satisfied next time you give it a shot.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

charlieMOGUL wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:45 am MediaMonkey 5 seems to be focused on the player part, and less on the organization / maintenance of a large library.
Except they made the player part much less useful for classical music. In MM4 you can play a whole composition with multiple parts (and hence tracks) with one click using the linked tracks add-on. (This also allows shuffle of compositions rather than just tracks.) Nothing comparable exists in MM5 even though the need for such was stressed to the developers early in the MM5 process. Since there are a number of players that do support whole composition playing (roon and audirvana to name two I have used) there is a real issue with using MM5. I would continue to use MM4 but it doesn't support audio chromecast - hence roon (which does) is my goto. But MM4 is still useful for syncing to the old ipod touch I use for my truck.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Hi,
the last version of MM4 was build 1919 which is avaible to download.

But the last entry at changelog was build 1920 with some fixes, I can't findit to download. Where can I download these last build?

regards, Martin
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello Martin,

The 1920 version was never released.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
correohs

Post by correohs »

Can you port a very usable script. called Cortina. you can look under mane nick name.
I wanted to use MM5 but that script made me go back to MM4.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36544
I use this script, and I was the one involved in this project.

Peke wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:34 pm
DocMAX wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am windows need a bit longer to build with all fancy chromium skin stuff
Unfortunately that is true, especially in WINE because Chromium exists on Linux as native app and they do not care to optimize it for VM. Intel i5-2520M is very very old CPU and if you use Integrated GPU it really lacks speed by today standards.
Bullit420 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:35 pm I wish there was an "upvote" feature when someone posts a comment on the forum. Although I like MM5, the missing third-party plugins (Discogs tagger) are keeping me from using the latest version.
Unfortunately only Authors are responsible for compatibility, First public Aplha of MM5 was released 6 years ago. Some scripts have alternatives, some are ported by us (with permission), some even we wanted to port authors did not wanted that.
Peke

Post by Peke »

correohs wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:00 pm I use this script, and I was the one involved in this project.
OK, do you still have original Script for MM4 also have you asked Authors to port it to MM5?
https://www.tangoexchange.com/cortina-p ... diamonkey/
Best regards,
Peke
correohs

Post by correohs »

The one you found on the web is an earlier version

raybeau528 and I created this script and Yes I do have the last script version (the code) and it does much more than the one you found on the web.

Where and How should I send you the script?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
The best would be to ZIP it and attach to Support ticket, with note that we have authority to port it into MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
correohs

Post by correohs »

I opened a ticket with Developer Scripting ( I hope I sent it the the right place)
I gave the authorization you MM team needs and I attached to code.
Thank you for your help.