MM 3.0.0.1017 Feedback/Bugs/Questions

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Post by Guest »

TruckMonkey wrote: no, just the ability to expand the window up while it is still docked. very cool.
On a related note. When moving the player around with the mouse, the various areas resize to permit the player to 'dock' in that window, but when the player is moved out of that area, it does not resize to its previous setting. This is annoying and I would consider it a bug.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

just a few little things I've found really great:
  • the search node now shows the search results of the last search you did when you click back on it – nice!

Minimizing the progress bars is a nice touch!

Being able to change the columns in the browser to various fields is GREAT

“1330 Added Album Gain support “ awesome... now I probably wont need mp3gain anymore..

ability to set crossfading and bookmarking based on DEFINABLE genres is awesome

setting my ipod to delete non-synching files off it works very well now.. especially with the confirmation dialog
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

It was taking a very very long time to scan in 660 gigs, so I unchecked the duplicate analysis and auto-analyze volume to build the initial library.

It finally finished faster that way, so now I'm rescanning with dupe analysis and letting the background volume analysis run too.
demm

Post by demm »

The list of new features is quite impressive! Very good job.

But I have one problem: the new default skin is really ugly. "Royal Blue" is really not a good choice for the main color of your theme, it's too much "in your face". Please use colors that are more "subtle" than that"!

Look at this picture if you don't know what I mean:

I would use the non-skinned version, but sadly it's bugged and all the player controls are wrongly arranged.
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

demm wrote:The list of new features is quite impressive! Very good job.

But I have one problem: the new default skin is really ugly. "Royal Blue" is really not a good choice for the main color of your theme, it's too much "in your face". Please use colors that are more "subtle" than that"!

Look at this picture if you don't know what I mean:

I would use the non-skinned version, but sadly it's bugged and all the player controls are wrongly arranged.
I agree.....It also doesn't look that "exclusive" but like I said in a previous post "like the standard blue XP theme".

In fact, this theme http://www.oiltinman.com/plugins/Skins/ ... .02.14.wsz for 2.x looks "newer" and a bit more "3.oh" then he current standard theme.....

BUT I ALSO KNOW THAT LOOKS COME LAST, first you need to get everything running smoothly in the background.
Miki

Post by Miki »

2545 Added silence removal
how exactly does this work?
can't see an option for it.

cheers, mike.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Don't worry. I don't think they want to keep the "Royal Blue" skin as default. It's probably the first skin they made/used to fully test the newer skinning engine/support.
As you probably know, you can choose other skins from the Skins forum. After a while, a lot of these will be made MM3.0-style I think (changing the player's skin).
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i found the album volume gain in fact made the sound lower ?

i turned it off and the sound was back to normal it effected both the
old version and the new version's sound.

i think the people that lost data when they installed the new version

allowed the set up installer to start the new version after it was installed.

i did not. i chose to uncheck that option for letting it start media monkey.
then i went to the desktop and used the new icon.

i did get the old version to act as it was a new install but it did not lose any playlists even settings in the options it did appear to have a new opton from mm3 :-?
but not sure if that was my tired eyes forgetting what option version i was looking at or not.? :o

as i said earlier i just rescanned the folders in version 2.5.5 and all was well.

this new mm3. is touchy on the changing of the sizes of images used in the skin.

the player will resize to the horiz.... but not the virtical the little arrows show up to let you move it up and down in size but it does not work.

the clicking and moving around the player is not done easlie either. it is hard to find a place to click on that will work for moving.

all seems to work well with playing ogg files. did not test anyother things.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Teknojnky

Replay/album gain inconsistent with other apps

Post by Teknojnky »

Using dbpoweramp r12 I can scan/apply replay/album gain tags to selected files.

If I use MM to scan/apply replay/album gain tags, these tags will be different than what R12 indicates.

When I scan with R12, these gain setting ARE seemingly read by MM but they are different than what is calculated by MM.

Specific example:

Track A with MM tags: album gain: -4.92, track gain: -6.37, track peak: 1.000000 dB

Track A with R12 tags: album gain: -4.94, album peak: 1.133841, track gain: -6.4, track peak: 1.117101

Track A with Foobar 0.9.4.2 tags: album gain: -4.94, album peak: 1.133841, track gain: 1.11701

The MM generated tags is missing the album peak, and the track peak ALL of them are 1.000000 dB.

edit: I cleared all tags and rescanned a copy of this album files with foobar and added the results above. Foobar and R12 calculated and wrote the same tags.
gtbuzz

Post by gtbuzz »

Let me start with saying I'm very impressed with MM3. The feature list is impressive and the stability for alpha software of a major version revision is extremely good. Huge additions with podcast, album art browsing, aac, and multi-artist/genre capabilities.

A few bugs so far:
  • 1. Appears to be noted on the feature list, but the way the My Documents are handle and structured differently in Vista. Music is by default located in the user directory not in the Documents directory.

2. Loved to see an import tool for a 2.5 database. I don't mind rescanning the files on my computer, but I would hate to have to recatalog my CD's.

3. I'm having display issues with some of the preference windows. The bottom lines appear cutoff, such as under "Options->General" I only see half of the "Font Size" option. Anything below that would be cutoff and these windows are not resizable.

4. The new Album Art display doesn't handle albums with multiple artists correctly. It initially displays each artist as a different album, though the album artists is the same. Modifying one of the songs forces a refresh and the display is correct.

4b. Under Album Art display the "Other" category (for names that start with non-alphanumeric characters) should probably be first, since that's the way it sorts in the node tree.

5. My iPod is displaying oddly in the node tree - "My iPod - Port_#0001.Hub_#0005(I:)". Only the "My iPod" part is renamable.

6. I'm still getting a new entry for a PDA everytime i restart MM

7. I've noticed that some of my custom field text appears in the comment box in MM3. It is also in the appropriate custom field, and I've never seen more than one of the fields in the comment box.

8. There is a little bit of display weirdness when I change an artist name to use multiartist format. If I already have "John Smith" and I modify "John Smith and Dave Johnson" to "John Smith;Dave Johnson". The nodes get off, but closing and reopening the node fixes the problem"

And a few minor feature tweaks I'd like to see, but that can probably be added as Extensions:
  • 1. Newly Added tracks - especially if it can be broken down like "Browse By Art"

2. Album Art Browsing for Now Playing

3. Sub-nodes for Artist by first letter, similar to the title node. Possible through an option or where it automatically switches if the number of artists crosses some threshold. Also individual years under the decade nodes.

Overall it's awesome and I can't wait to see what else you guys have coming down the road.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

seek button sometimes locks and wont release and it mutes the sound when it does this lock but it does not speedup the seek it just mutes the sound and plays song at normal speed.

can not get it un locked with out use of icon in the tray to click on the stop link. it would be of great value i believe to enable the stop button on the
player along with the play and pause buttons.

can not find a way to load the micro player only the floating and normal player with list.

can not find out how to get any icons from inside the icon folder of the skin. it only finds the no album art image from in that folder?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
julzcompufreek

Post by julzcompufreek »

In reply to all those people with database issues.

1. MediaMonkey is using a new SQLite database, instead of the Microsoft Access (.mdb) database. Currently MM3 cannot read .mdb databases, and I believe it is not going to either. Instead, a converter will be included to convert the MM2 (.mdb) database to the MM3 (.DB) database. Currently however, since MM3 is in alpha, there is no conversion utility as the database structure could change.

The new database it located at "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB"

2. For those who believe that they have ruined their database, since MM3 cannot read them, it should not have altered it at all. MM2 should still be able to read it.
The old database may have been moved to the location of the new database "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey"

I hope that answers some of your questions
Julian aka julzcompufreek
"Dancing is a contact sport; football is a Hitting sport." - Vince Lombardi
Visit My Blog - http://kompufreak.wordpress.com
julzcompufreek

Post by julzcompufreek »

SlasherMCT wrote:Very disappointed that MM3 appeared to have trashed my MM2 setup, and I had to look around the forums to find the new and old database locations etc.

MM3 should leave MM2 alone - particularly in beta. If you want to have the data in the horribly buried application data folder, fine. Just don't trash the existing folder. I thought I had lost all of my scripts, magic nodes, etc, etc.
Thats why it is labeled as "ALPHA". You should only attempt to try it out if you have backed up your data sufficiently. And it is up to you to change the directory at installation.
Julian aka julzcompufreek
"Dancing is a contact sport; football is a Hitting sport." - Vince Lombardi
Visit My Blog - http://kompufreak.wordpress.com

Post by Guest »

It bears repeating, as julzcompufreek mentioned.

IT IS AN ALPHA!

Anyone who test this is contributing to the success of MM, but be aware of the implications of being an alpha tester, and act accordingly.
Tankred

Post by Tankred »

The Alpha of MM 3 really looks nice, but there are a few things I do not understand fully:

1. The new AmaroK-like system tray popup looks nice, but how do I force it to show up? In MM 2, the tray balloons show up, whenever a new song starts playing. In MM 3 they sometimes show up, sometimes not.

2. By default, MM 3 analyzes the file's volume level and its related album when MM starts for the first time. Am I right, that this information is stored in the file's ID3 tag comment field? If yes, you should think about disabling this feature. Many people (including me) actually use comment fields for comments, e.g. for information about the artists or similar stuff.

3. MM 3 obviously tries to use an existing MM 2 database. But for some reason, MM 3 Alpha only imported parts of my old database. Does it need some time to convert the whole database to a new format?
Tankred