Help!!! Serious Problems with MM 3.0.0.1.0.1.7

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Jdeehere

Help!!! Serious Problems with MM 3.0.0.1.0.1.7

Post by Jdeehere »

Help, Please..... I have downloaded and installed MediaMonkey 3.0.0.1.0.1.7. Because Idiot I installed Vista Ultimate 64bit a few months ago. By the way we ARE MediaMonkey Gold members (we purchased MediaMonkey). I had difficulty with 2.5.5+ versions so waited until version 3+ was released since I read on these boards that version would be Vista compatible. I was a MusicMatch lifetime customer until Vista and Yahoo got involved so Now I have NO media player since I refuse to allow Windows Media Player anywhere near my Library (Which is 205 GIG's in size with OVER 55, 177 Tracks) My computer is super size with 4 gig's of DDR2 pc6400 ram on a deluxe Gigabyte board and a Intel extreme chip with 100 Gigs's of SATA HDD. So it isn't my computer.

My Problem is this, in 2.5.5.+ when I tried to add my library MediaMonkey would crash out after reading approx. 7,000-10,000 tracks and would go NO father, I had to clear library and try again with no luck. So I had NO music from this computer (I also have a computer with a AMD Athlon 64x Dual Core and 2 gig's of DDR2 pc5300 ram with XP Pro installed and use MusicMatch so I have music on that machine but not this one my main computer). Now that I installed MediaMonkey 3.0.0.1.0.1.7 It adds ALL the tracks (All 55,177 of them) but crashes out during the installation part that analyzes the sound levels at approx. 7,500 tracks.

Is there anyway to fix this so that my adding of tracks completes and doesn't crash out every time and completes so I can enjoy my music... Or must I wait for a later version to finally enjoy MediaMonkey...

I appreciate any and all assistance any one can afford me...

Thanks
JDeehere
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you got the ram problem.

it does not seem to matter how much you have in ram.

when you have media monkey scan in songs it saves the info in limbo until it finishes the task or if just editing songs then when you close media monkey it writes all info down.

it has to hold this info some place. on my small win98 with 225 mb's of ram i can only get 30 to maybe 40 songs done before it crashes. thats with mm 2.5.5

in this winxp with mm3 it crashed with about 1500 songs
but in doing the setting of prioity to highest it did allow mm 3 to scan my whole library. which tells me mm 3 will write the info in to the database as it scans. but does it much slower then it can scan. so there seems to be a bottleneck in the information stream. that makes the same type of ram error i got on the win98.

try the higher prioity thing if that works great but i think you might be better off scanning in sets of 7000 or less songs.
then you will get them all in.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

There are 2 main options I'm aware of:
- disable automatic analysis in the options
- wait till MM3 is Beta, RC (Gamma, Delta, ...), or Released (GA) :)
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Jdeehere

Thanks For the Help

Post by Jdeehere »

I want to thank you guys for your help. You've confirmed what I thought might have been a memory issue. I thought 4 gig's of ram would be enough but now I know. I REALLY appreciate the help. Enjoy the weekend
JD
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

well 4 gig's is enough once the songs are in the library.

but holding all the info of the tags and album art for every song takes up room. the ram fills up then sends it to the swap file
then the swap file fills up and bye bye to scanning. what monkey got wrote down before it crashed will be in the database so check the list of recently added songs for the last one added.
then start from there. 7000 songs is almost my whole library. not quite but almost. 8)
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

@Jdeehere:
Have you looked at Task Manager (memory usage %) to see if memory is really the problem?
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

what else could it be since he is on vista i don't think he would have added any plugins since most don't work yet with mm 3.
so he would have the default plugins.

vista might be causing something like trying to start another media player that is associated with the format. but not sure on that.

scanning by the av program would have stopped long before he got to that amount of songs.

if he has added some scripts in monkey then they might be trying to run and cause errors or take up the ram.

the thing looks like a memory buffer error. which is what i got on the win98 and still get on that computer. and i got it on this xp doing the same thing he did. i use the default plugins and no scripts for mm 3.
and the song formats are not asscoiated with anything but monkey, but i am on xp.

since this error is carried through win98 to winVista its sounding like more and more like the memory buffer setting for the swap file useage in monkey or the windows os.

but there is always murphy's law, if it can happen it will be the least likely thing to cause it. and it will happen at the most likely time to cause lots of pain.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

He did get all his music into the library, which is good.

In his first post he stated that it is with the volume leveling he is having issues with. While I haven't used volume leveling in MediaMonkey since I am using 2.5.5 and I am waiting on 3 for a while. I utilize other programs to generate ReplayGain tags for ID3 and they are quite memory and cpu intensive.

Since MM3 is supposed to have the ReplayGain type analysis, I would imagine that it is quite CPU and Memory intensive as well.

I suggest the user do the volume leveling on small chunks at a time and plug through his library. Once he gets through it, he'll be set as long as he backs his library up... Afterall, you wouldn't want to have to do all this a second time, although the tags should all be in place.

Erik
nojac

Post by nojac »

Remember that all questions about MM3 should be in the Beta section of the forum!

Why do you use 3.0.0 1017 ??? That is the first alpha, we are on Alpha 5 (3.0.0 1045) now.

If you are experiencing similar problems after upgrading, I suggest you just switch off the automatic volume levelling, which is very time consuming. (I must admit I have never allowed it to run....I think it is strange that they made it a default option)
Blake

Post by Blake »

Now auto volume leveling is only for gold members! :x :x :x :x :x

Because I have a pretty small library it was a good thing, but now I can't use it because I am not allowed to get gold.

Maybe when a 3.x license comes out I might be able to convince dad :)