last fm winamp plugin update breaks functionality with MM?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

G0lluM

last fm winamp plugin update breaks functionality with MM?

Post by G0lluM » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:23 am

Hi everyone -
A potential warning and request for assistance. This morning when firing up MM3 Beta 4, Last.fm was launched as usual and informed me that there was a new version of the winamp plugin, which I believe is 2.0.47.0 but don't quote me. It asked if I wanted to update the plugin and I said ok.

I have not been able to scrobble tracks since, even after uninstalling and then reinstalling last.fm (including the plugins). Last.fm just sits there and says I'm logged on but doesn't receive any of the track information from MM3 Beta 4. I know they're still "linked" together in some way, because if I close both programs and start MM3 the last.fm program also launches as usual. It just doesn't receive any track data from MM3.

I don't think this is a MM3 problem as it only happened once the plugin was updated. I know Winamp (which the plugin is designed for) just recently updated to a 10th anniversary version or something -- could it be that the plugin architecture has changed and the new Winamp plugins won't work with MM3? Pure speculation on my part.

If there are people out there who have updated their plugin and not experienced this problem please let me know. That would mean it's something wrong here on my install and I can just start over with a hard drive format, probably needs it anyway, it's been a year or so.

But If you have not updated your winamp plugin, you might not want to do so until someone on here reports that it worked fine for them.

And if someone has an older version of the plugin they could send me, please pm me.

Thanks -
-G

ddrager

Post by ddrager » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:28 am

Seeing same problem here with Version 2.5.5 - looking for info here and at Last.fm to see what we can do.
Last.fm Top Weekly Artists

quinn70

Post by quinn70 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:44 am

First post - just got the last.fm - do you wish to install new winamp plugin.
Hit ok - now no scrobbling.
Can't even hit the Now Playing button in Last.fm.
Installed the old 2.x plugin - now scrobbles directly to last.fm but can't see the song in the now playing window of last.fm windows player.
Tried both versions of the old winamp - deleted all related plugins in the mm directory.
Still doesn't work.
I hate these "upgrades"
If something isn't broke....

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:52 am

This can't be good:

Hi,

Sorry but Last.fm does not support this software. However, you will be kept up
to date with any latest features/add ons on the site :)

The Last.fm Customer Service and Support Team

Diabolic-Destiny

Post by Diabolic-Destiny » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:11 pm

well at least last.fm works mine just constantly crashes when i start MM3 it worked before!!!

coldpenguin

old version that works

Post by coldpenguin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 pm

http://static.last.fm/plugins/ass/Winam ... 0.45.0.exe

This is a link to the older version that you can reinstall. Just set it to your mediamonkey path. You will be back to normal, huzzah.

G0lluM

thanks! EDIT: It worked!

Post by G0lluM » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 am

Thanks coldpenguin!
I installed the old plugin through the installer you linked to, but alas it did not work. Hopefully it will for others though. I'm going to continue to tinker and see if I can get to the bottom of this.

-G

EDIT --
I have a confession to make. I am an idiot who doesn't follow directions. Left the default path in the plugin installer so of course it installed to the C:/program files/winamp/plugins directory. Once I installed to the proper location (as coldpenguin DID state) it works perfectly.

scrapqueen

Post by scrapqueen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:05 am

I did the same update and ran into the same problem. I also had trouble getting the plugin to work. I totally removed Last FM from my computer and did a clean install using the plugin. And like Coldpenguin said you have to make sure it is set for MM. It now works for me.

ddrager

Post by ddrager » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:47 am

As with others I rushed through it and forgot to change the path. Once I fixed that the old plugin worked.

MediaMonkey developers - any way you can troubleshoot the new Last.fm plugin to see what is causing the issue? I know a lot of MediaMonkey users (me included) use MM to track music we play. I guess as a side note - if we use WinAmp as our player, the new plugin should work fine.

G0lluM

Post by G0lluM » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:49 am

Actually, I think it would be best if Last.fm would officially support Mediamonkey 3, once it's final and released.

How would we go about getting that done, other than requesting directly from Last.fm? Or do they have to get $$$paid$$$, I wonder? Once MM3 is released we should flood them with requests. Let them know just how many of us there are that use MM and perhaps we'll get a plugin made just for MM.

The advantage to this (as I see it) would be no more updates that work fine with Winamp but screw up with MM3 -- because really, we're using a plugin that wasn't designed with OUR needs in mind. And we can't expect the MM3 devs to keep solving problems they didn't even create. Just my .02 --

-G

Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 am

G0lluM wrote:The advantage to this (as I see it) would be no more updates that work fine with Winamp but screw up with MM3 -- because really, we're using a plugin that wasn't designed with OUR needs in mind. And we can't expect the MM3 devs to keep solving problems they didn't even create. Just my .02
Well, since MediaMonkey claims to support winamp-plugins the plugins should also work - if they work with Winamp 2.x. But you're right an official MM3-last.fm-plugin would be better.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design

ddrager

Post by ddrager » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:33 am

I just tried the new Last.fm plugin with Winamp 5.5 and I couldn't seem to get it to work, so maybe it is a problem with the plugin.

Either way, I would love for last.fm to support MediaMonkey directly - so everyone join up the Last.fm group! There are 600 members now; I don't think it is a huge part of their customer base so unless we are vocal we probably won't get much play.

The URL is http://www.last.fm/group/Media+Monkey for last.fm people to join.

G0lluM

Post by G0lluM » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Just joined! Thanks for the link!

ZeusII

Post by ZeusII » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm

what we need is native last.fm support as an option inside the program :D

that will be better than the need to use last.fm prog and winamp plugin.

this or talking with lastfm guys to develop a mediamonkey specific version of the plugin.

ddrager

Post by ddrager » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 pm

I wonder if Last.fm people are responsible or MediaMonkey people are responsible for developing it? It would be AWESOME to have full Last.fm support including radio station within MM.