last fm winamp plugin update breaks functionality with MM?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Post by Peke » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:58 am

Yes, you are right. It Is MM only Plugin and for now it only Scrobble. In future we will see what else we can make out of it as most features are limited to Last.FM Client Only and no third party plugins are allowed.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:30 am

drjboulder wrote:Not sure why old is bad... it works fine for me.
It Scrobbles - thats' what counts, right?
There is some functionality that was introduced in x.11 that just made that plugin clearly better. Cache handling comes to mind, as well as better error reporting.

As far as the scrobbling radio vs. scrobbling local media goes, I don't believe the plugin has anything to do with streamed plays via the last.fm client, though I could be entirely wrong on that point. The problem for me would be the update nag as I do use the client daily.

All that said, I've just found out MM does not have some functionality that I must have in order to switch from Winamp. That's a shame too as this app was looking really promising. Oh well, back to hoping Winamp gets the bugs sorted. :-?

Cheers all.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:36 am

Peke wrote:Yes, you are right. It Is MM only Plugin and for now it only Scrobble. In future we will see what else we can make out of it as most features are limited to Last.FM Client Only and no third party plugins are allowed.
I assume you've been through all the documentation here? It certainly doesn't look like last.fm WON'T support a new media player but one does need to go through all the proper rigmarole to acquire it.

Blizz

Post by Blizz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:37 am

Hey Peke,
No issues with that, on the contrary, a program less to run, an icon less in the tray. On the other hand, I did like the information about the current playing song sometimes, but I'll get over it :)

Peke

Post by Peke » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:26 am

@spacefish
that was starting point

@Blizz
Will see about info in future
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:13 am

Peke wrote:@spacefish
that was starting point
Good to know! Best of luck for the future. :)

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 am

Blizz wrote:Hey Peke,
No issues with that, on the contrary, a program less to run, an icon less in the tray. On the other hand, I did like the information about the current playing song sometimes, but I'll get over it :)
Just to let you know, there are scripts that allow you to do the same exact thing but within Mediamonkey, such as WebSearchPanels.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:27 am

So I decided to take the plunge. Installed MM and the old last.fm plugin just to try it out. I'm scrobbling tracks so it must be okay! I do miss the ability to tag, love, share, view artist/album/track details from the client but since the upcoming dedicated module will be scrobbling only, I figure I'd just get used to it.

Here's an unrelated question but I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer: I am considering going Gold but really wanted to try out advanced filtering, views, autoplaylists, etc. first. Is there no evaluation of gold features or do I just have to pay even if I find later I might not like/want/need them?

Thanks!

ddrager

Last.fm

Post by ddrager » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Just wanted to say - looking forward to the new integrated last.fm scrobbler. Would be great if it scrobbles; even better if you have the advanced tagging/love/hate options :)
Last.fm Top Weekly Artists

drjboulder

Post by drjboulder » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:00 am

spacefish wrote: Here's an unrelated question but I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer: I am considering going Gold but really wanted to try out advanced filtering, views, autoplaylists, etc. first. Is there no evaluation of gold features or do I just have to pay even if I find later I might not like/want/need them?
IMO, autoplaylists alone is worth the price of admission!
Also, I rarely purchase software. MediaMonkey was one of the exceptions after a month or so of using it.
Not only is it hands down the best and most powerful song organizer, but it is one of the programs that I felt the developers truly deserved as much financial reward as possible for all of the hard (and on-going) work they have put into it! (IMHO)
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:28 am

drjboulder wrote: IMO, autoplaylists alone is worth the price of admission!
Also, I rarely purchase software. MediaMonkey was one of the exceptions after a month or so of using it.
Not only is it hands down the best and most powerful song organizer, but it is one of the programs that I felt the developers truly deserved as much financial reward as possible for all of the hard (and on-going) work they have put into it! (IMHO)
QFT. Mediamonkey is the first software I have ever paid for (and actually paid twice for, first for a 2.x license then for a lifetime one!) I have never regretted it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Blizz

Post by Blizz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:29 am

Same here. Once you get used to the functionality at your fingertips you just never want to go back. As a programmer myself I usually buy software that I really like and that has a decent price, mainly to support the developers. Lifetime license here! :)

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 am

Wow! Thanks for all the testimonials. I'm really considering just getting a lifetime license since I could just set it and forget it, so to speak. Save for a quirk here and there, I'm really impressed with everything I've seen so far and I'm very happy that built-in last.fm support is coming. There are still a few things I miss from Winamp but I've certainly gained a lot more, too. MediaMonkey is looking to be the perfect program for the O/C in me. And I've also always been overly fond of apes so you might say MediaMonkey was meant for me. ;)

Sorry about the thread hijack. You've all been very helpful.

Decisions, decisions! Must. Play. More. Monkey. :D

aidan_cage

Post by aidan_cage » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:16 am

I've also always been overly fond of apes
:lol: Me TOO!

PEACE

Randall_Lind

Post by Randall_Lind » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:23 pm

I am lost so Last.FM support will be built in to MM3 at some point? This is kewl really.