RC2 iPod Sync (auto-conversion rules fail) [4121]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

drjohn

RC2 iPod Sync (auto-conversion rules fail) [4121]

Post by drjohn »

The good news: mp4 files now play...

The bad news: MM3 RC2 still trys to convert mp4 files to mp3 (even though I have it set to only convert Flacs) and of course fails miserably. It also converts m4a files to mp3 and sometimes sseems to ignore flacs (although sometimes it works). I have a couple of test playlists with variuos formats and it has not synced any of them coreecetly yet...

Otherwise--AWESOME job!

John
rusty

MM auto-converts MP4 files

Post by rusty »

DrJohn,

To confirm--do you mean m4p or mp4 files? Are they audio or video files?

-Rusty

Post by Guest »

Sorry for the confusion--they are audio (purchased through iTunes)
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

I uninstalled MM3 and reinstalled RC2. I also restored my iPod with iTunes. I then tried to sync and everything worked fine (mp3s, m4ps, and converted flacs -- except album art with converted Flacs--no art). At this time I don't know if the reinstall or the restore was the main factor. I will further investigate and let you know ASAP.

Any idea how to make the album art work with converted flacs?

Thanks,
John
rusty

FLAC autoconversion loses album art

Post by rusty »

Hi,

I tested this via Sync selected of 2 flac files that had album art, and couldn't reproduce the problem.

Can you tell me more about how to reproduce this?

e.g. Is the Art embedded or linked? Auto-sync or manual sync? What format do you convert to (I'm guessing MP3)? Anything else?

-Rusty
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

The files are linked (folder.jpg); I seem to have issues trying to embed art into Flacs and uncheck that option when tagging art. I am auto-syncing and converting to MP3s. I have the device config set up to sync all art to folders (folder.jpg) and force itunes style folders (copy to tags and remove if larger than... are unchecked). I don't think there is anything else...
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

OK--I am back to the sync not working. I upgraded to the newest iTunes (BIG mistake) and issues with QuickTime not playing m4p's. I returned to the old iTunes and QuickTime and everything plays correctly again in QuickTime and MM3--BUT MM3 now wants to convert m4a, and m4p (AUDIO) files--no matter what. (Flac's are of course supposed to be converted.) I unstalled and reinstalled both iTunes (the old 7.4 version) and MM3. I restored the iPod (first gen 30GB video classic). Nothing works... It copies over the mp3's fine bur still wants to convert m4a and m4p files... BTW, they play fn MM3
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

More bad news. The files that DO get converted/copied to the iPod DO NOT play on the iPod...
rusty

MM converts M4Ps?

Post by rusty »

drjohn,

I just tested MM3 RC-3 with the latest version of iTunes and find that:
-it syncs both M4P files and M4B files without a problem.
-iPod can play back both of them if the iPod is registered to a copy of iTunes that has rights to the protected content. See:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... at=1&id=95

-Rusty
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

I don't know what to tell you. I have updated to RC3, restored my iPod (30G Video Classic with newest firmware DL'ed today), and tried to auto sync a test list with the following file types:
- mp3
- m4p
- flac
- m4a (ripped CD with iTunes)
- m4a (purchased through iTunes Plus)

The flac file converted to mp3 fine and the mp3 file copied over fine (confirmed through later sync with only these files). MM3 tried to convert all of the m4x files to mp3, even though they should have copied over fine. They play fine on the iPod when synced with iTunes and they play fine in MM3.

the isue of the not playing was because of the failed "conversion". The issue with the newest version of iTunes seems to be with QuickPlayer. The proected files would play in iTunes fine but not in QuickPlayer and conversly also not in MM3 or WinAmp. It looked like they playing but no sound would come out (it was wierd). Reverting to the older version of iTunes/QuickPlayer resolved that. I see that as a seperate issue.

The syncs worked on my daughters old Nano, but not on my 30G Video classic, which has always had problems.

Could something have happened during the original conversion of the database from MM2 to MM3? this is really frustrating; MM# is useless to me if I can't sync my playlists...
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

BTW, when trying to convert the m4x files (especially m4p; see above) MM3 will sometimes either hang or completely crash. This did result in two error messages that were automatically generated--they have been sent to you for analysis. i hope it helps. i would REALLY like to get his resolved...

Thanks,
John
rusty

Can you show me your config

Post by rusty »

drjohn,

Can you create a few screenshots that show:
1) Tools > Options > Portable/Audio devices
2) Auto-sync options for your iPod
3) Auto-conversion options for your iPod
4) Device configuration for your iPod

Thx.

-Rusty
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

Sure, I will send in an e-mail.

Thanks,
John
rusty

Auto-conversion rules

Post by rusty »

We've replicated the problems with auto-conversion rules sometimes not being applied, and sometimes being applied unnecessarily.

Planned for RC5.

-Rusty