MEDIAmonkey or just AUDIOmonkey ?...

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Rave_Zero

Post by Rave_Zero » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:18 am

Although I'll never use MediaMonkey or any other Media-Management application for video playback, I think it's fine to have to ability for basic video playback and transfer - as long as this doesn't affect the performance/stability of MediaMonkey's audio-capabilities.

Maybe there should be a seperate process-allocation between audio and video files to avoid conflicts and an option, which lets the users decide whether they want to enable video capabilities or not.

Cheers and a happy new year to everyone
Rave Zero

my_two_cent

Video for syncing to portable devices

Post by my_two_cent » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:57 pm

I'd like to see MM integrate video support so I can use MM only to sync my content to my Creative Zen Vision M. (Not just iPod folks are using multi-media portable devices).

Just as MM audio is able to leverage the Winamp player (but only barely) so MM video could leverage the VLC player, as Miro does.
Kent W. England

EliteXen

Post by EliteXen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:48 am

I would definitely like to see at least basic video support. All I'd really like is to be able to import my videos into the library, have a screenshot for the thumbnail, rate and tag. I would really prefer if MM did NOT play any videos simply because I have a ton of vids in different formats from mkv's-divx-avi's with sub files and multilanguage streams and whatnot. Adding all the features I need to properly play my videos is too much of an investment. It be great if MM could just link to the movies so they automatically open in my default/choosen player. Maybe even with some custom commandline args oh man I'd be in heaven.

I think if MM could do this i'd have to buy a 2nd lifetime license cause I have looked high and low, but have yet to find a real MEDIA player that can help me organize and play ALL my media.

edit:
i don't care so much about syncing, my only DAP is my windows mobile phone. I got an 8gb SD card but I can easily handle that with drag/drop in explorer.

PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:44 pm

I have an iPod Video and would love to be able to use MM to sync my videos to it as well as my music, but I realize that the people who do audio-only are probably in the majority.

That being said ... I think the trend for portable players is that you're going to see more and more models supporting video, and therefore you're going to see more and more people wanting management software that supports video as well as audio.

So ... here's my vote for adding video to MM.

jsummers

+1 for video,

Post by jsummers » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:05 am

I am all mediamonkey with or without video or image management. It does what it does so well that nothing will replace MM for audio any time soon.

Adding video would just be that much better.

sn0skier

Post by sn0skier » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:39 pm

So if video is too hard to implement in MM, does anyone know a good tool for video database management? I have 5 TV shows of which I have all the episodes from every season, and I am currently using a program that can only edit properties for 1 video at a time . So editing the properties is taking waaay too long. Also, there is no option to rename files based on tags, and given the limited tagging capabilities of video formats, not being able to name things the way I want is a big deal.
So does anyone know a good tool for managing an extensive video collection?
last.fm signatures don't work anymore, which is sad. Any easy replacement?

donector

Post by donector » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am

Peke wrote:One of Biggest questions is GDI (DirecX???/Video For Windows, Windows95+) Vs. VMR-7 (DirectX7, Windows 98+) Vs. VMR-9 (DirectX9, WindowsXP+) Vs. EVR (DirectX10? or Media Fundation, Vista+). I know that some are absolute now but still ...

This rises what to support and base plugin on?

There are also independent renderer solutions like Haali, QuickTime, RealVideo, and we even not mentioned Hardware Randerer.

Tagging? Lyrics/Subtitles? Codecs? output?

Things that needs to be supported can be seen in Media Player Classic (MPC) -> View -> Options Player -> Output and each one have its advantages and faults + Bugs + Fixes + ...

Things need to be well thought before done.

I kind of understand the complexity of adding videos with all this parameters inside...

I am actually all for only being able to only LIST videos, have them tagged like any mp3 in th DB (being able to transfer them o a portable player cannot be really difficult either): I think that is why we need

for playing it almost costs nothing and i agree with sticking so mediaplayer classic or vlc:

there are some plugings that seem to to do this, but they are flawed and need taking care of upating

if we could add: file types as avi, mkv, mpg, mp4 etc to the database and be able to browse them, select them ans choose to play them, just as you browse audio files, that would more than make it, i guess for all the ones that besides having the songs, have the videocplips for listening our loved music

Nonreality

Post by Nonreality » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:55 am

I think it all will depend on what the developers of Mediamonkey want to become. They can stay what they are now with a niche crowd of hardcore fans and maybe be successful enough to survive. The other choice is to become bigtime and to do that they will have to lure the people with the largest computer based music. The Ipod crowd is by far the dominate base out there. To attract them video is a must. To become very successful without that base is just kidding yourself. I really hate having to fire up Itunes just to put a video file on my classic every once in a while. Now that most all the new ipods are using video, I can't see new users buying Mediamonkey without video support.
If the rule you followed brought you here, what good is the rule.

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 5:08 pm

MM video sync option would be great. Leave playing the file to VLC. That would work for me! :D

Queseuq

Post by Queseuq » Fri May 02, 2008 7:48 pm

Guest wrote:MM video sync option would be great. Leave playing the file to VLC. That would work for me! :D
You can pretty much already do this. Using the video plug-in from the main page you add video files to the database and tag them. Using the Open tracks in another application you can open the files in VLC by right clicking > Send to... The videos can also be synced the same as music files. The only improvements I would like to see to this system are

1. The ability to open video files in an external player by default rather than by right clicking.

2. The ability to download video files as part of a podcast.

3. The ability to convert video files from one type to another ie MOV -> AVI (I can't see this one ever happening as it would no doubt be very hard to implement)

moiss

Re: MEDIAmonkey or just AUDIOmonkey ?...

Post by moiss » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:52 am

news about video-support for MM?
I am not a video-junkey but meantime each mp3-player supports video. So audio & video is multimedia.
nomen est omen: Mediamanager.
The difference between audio & video is gone technical, but in handling its nearley the same on a modern pc.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 am

Planned for version 4.0.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

moiss

Post by moiss » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:26 am

Date of release? Beta releas?
Sorry, Iphone.... needs MEDIAmonkey, because AUDIOmonkey runs really well.

Paraquestion: How many devoloper are working on MM, respective MVM (mediavideomonkey)?

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:29 am

I imagine it will not be in the near future, I think the devs have started programming for it but it has not been released in any alpha/beta versions yet.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:07 pm

moiss wrote:Date of release? Beta releas?
Sorry, Iphone.... needs MEDIAmonkey, because AUDIOmonkey runs really well.

Paraquestion: How many devoloper are working on MM, respective MVM (mediavideomonkey)?
The MM team consists of 5 developers, at this point I think only one is working on the video support.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.