3.0.2 RC-1 - Major Major Corruption Issue and/or bug!

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

snacks

3.0.2 RC-1 - Major Major Corruption Issue and/or bug!

Post by snacks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 am

Again, I start by saying what a huge supporter and fan of MM and the developers I am, I've been using and loving it for years, but something has gone horribly wrong with 3.0.2 RC-1.

I started noticing issues immediately upon installation. At first the problem seemed to be limited to album art view - I rescanned my library and the issue was resolved. Then something incredibly strange and horrifying ocurred. MM got stuck and I couldn't shut it down. I had to do it manually. Then upon re-opening it, some of my music wouldn't play. When I went to my library to open the specific folders the files wouldn't open, they had been corrupted and each showed that they had no data, however my hard drive as a whole was showing that the info was there. Now, I keep my library on an external hard drive and have everything backed up, but we're talking about 400 gigs of music. And then one by one all the folders became unreadable and eventually when just trying to open up the hard drive I got a message saying that "the parameter" was wrong. I scanned for viruses etal, then shut down the computer, powered down the hard drive, - and upon starting up again - everything was alright. The music was there, available and played. I did notice that a few files had some minor info loss, name, album.... so I changed the info. And then, after hours of happy listening, for no reason at all, some folders once again became unavailable. I could not open the folders, they were corrupt again. I uninstalled MM and went through the same process as above. Reinstalling, rescanning and again the info was there. I was baffled. THEN after working for awhile suddenly the songs listed were not the ones playing??? I also noticed that any files I had re-tagged in the last day were completely messed up - the data had been changed from one song to another and back... and the folders and hard drive became corrupted again.

At this point I knew I had a real problem. I Uninstalled MM, ran every test and decided that I had a problem with the hard drive. I reformatted it, cleaning it off completely and then transfered fresh data from my back up hard drive. This took a while, but of course needed to be done - or so I thought. I Re-installed MM 3.0.2 RC-1 and rescanned. After an hour or so of listening one of the folders become unavailable and upon going into my library the folder was corrupted, had no info.... same issue. I uninstalled MM and repowered my external hard drive - all the data was fine. At this point I installed Itunes (which I haven't used in a long time) and guess what - no problems in 2 days. I've tried to recreate the issues/problems with Itunes, but have had no problems with corruption or with the data or the hard drive. So the problem appears to have been with MM 3.0.2 RC-1. Of course I'm shocked. I guess my next move is to go back to an older version of MM and see if anything goes wrong, but I just felt that I should let you know about this unbelievable problem. I am using Vista 32 by the way.

I'm very very curious if anyone else is having any problems like this? It just makes no sense to me. Also, I've never tried using a debug version and sending an error report, but even if I did, I wouldn't even know where to begin with a problem like this.

I'll try using an earlier version and see if problems still occur, just wanted to let you know what was going on.
Thanks for your time,
Snacks

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:28 am

next move is to try the RC 2 that was just released last night. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

snacks

Post by snacks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:36 am

I was about to do that, but first I thought I would use an earlier version that I knew worked fine, just to make sure that it is an 3.0.2 RC-1 and me issue, and just to quadruple check that it's not the hard drive/data. (even though I tunes kind of proves that it's not)
Thanks,
Snacks

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:42 am

you can still go back a version to make sure your tags are all correct, 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

jiri

Post by jiri » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:57 am

That's really weird. Try to create a debug log and e-mail it to me, together with as much info as possible (e.g. which folders were affected, possibly even MM.DB file). Hopefully we'll find out something...

Jiri

snacks

Post by snacks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:11 am

Jiri, I'd love to create a Debug report, but hopefully I won't have the problem anymore - I hope that my next move (going back and/forward) to another MM version solves the problem - and I've already begun the process.

Just to give you a little more info, It would start by effecting the folder from whichever song was playing and then would just spread until the whole hard drive was un-openable. What was really weird was the way that the song that I WAS PLAYING, wasn't the song that MM WAS PLAYING! And that's usually when trouble starting brewing.

snacks

Post by snacks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 am

Jiri,
I downloaded and installed the latest debug version and am currently trying to recreate the problem. Hopefully I can't! I do have a list of some of the songs that the last version messed up while scanning them into the database and i can send you that and the latest database, but I'm not sure if that will do you any good, since it isn't the corrupted database, but i'll get back to you either way after I run MM for awhile.
Thanks again,
Snacks

snacks

Post by snacks » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:36 am

UPDATE: I installed 3.0.2.1133_Debug and have been running the Debug and MM on and off for a day.... And it looks like the issue was just with the last version. If it wasn't so much of a pain in the rear, I'd reinstall it for you and run a debug so that you could see what was going on, but I'd really rather not - then I have to replace 400 gigs of data if even one file gets messed up (because I won't know how many others are damaged as well) or God Forbid, it corrupts my external hard drive for good.... and Everything seems to be working fine now.

But again, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my issue and if it's important and helpful to you - if someone else is having a problem, let me know and I'll do the re-install and run debug on the last version.

Thanks,
Snacks

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 am

glad its working for you
8)
and by all means don't reinstall the messed up one.

thats a major pain in the chair warmer if it makes a mess of your hd. :o