iPod Touch ratings not synced back (MM 3.0.3.1140)

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

wolfzell

Post by wolfzell »

Shouldn't changed song ratings on the player get sync'd back to the library?

If so, it does not work here with the iPod Touch and MM 3.0.3.1140

bye
Wolfgng
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, it should and generally also does. If it doesn't for you, please provide more info, like FW version, whether it doesn't work for any track, etc.

Jiri
wolfzell

Post by wolfzell »

Sorry for the late answer, but I don't have that much time right now.

MM 3.03.1140 as posted
iPod Touch with 1.1.4 firmware

Now the first test with only some mp3-files synced from my notebook was negative, changes on the iPod did not sync back. That was when I wrote the posting above.

Then a few days later, after reading your answer, I tried it again with only one album from my pc at home and then it did work fine.

Now most of my files (~15000) are encoded in FLAC, another 5000 in MP3, 192kbps, VBR. Almost 3000 tracks represented in playlists (2400 of them in FLAC) then got converted to 192kbps VBR to the iPod while syncing (took the better part of the weekend to get the sync done...).

Ok, so now I had the iPod with me on the road for the week and changed several ratings. I did have some problems with the iPod Touch (stopping playback and falling back to home screen), but this problem has been reported by several users on the apple discussion forums, seems to be an ugly firmware bug. Don't know what happens to the files on the iPod then, but the changed ratings persisted.

Anyway, today I got back and guess what, none of the ratings did sync back. Added one single song to the sync list, changed the rating on the iPod, but that did not sync back either after that.

So there is a problem somewhere, but I can't tell you exactly where.

If you need more detailed information, or if there is anything I should try or change, just ask, but I won't be back before monday/tuesday.

bye
Wolfgang
jiri

Post by jiri »

You can try to generate and e-mail me a debug log, it should at least show whether iPod properly creates file iTunes_Control/iTunes/PlayCounts.plist which then MM uses to update PlayCounts and Ratings.

Jiri
Last edited by jiri on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve_c

Post by steve_c »

Maybe I haven't read closely enough, but is it intended that a rating on the ipod of a transcoded file (mp3) should be written back to the originating FLAC file?
yokev

Post by yokev »

I'm having the same issue where ratings I've made on my iPod and iPhone won't sync back to the library. Tried closing all iTunes functionality but still isn't working for me.
charlesgoodman

Post by charlesgoodman »

Same problem for me. Ratings don't synch. On intial xfer to the iTouch, the ratings transfer. Changes to ratings on either the iTouch or MM don't transfer. I'm using firmware 1.14 on the itouch.

Any thoughts on how to fix this or how to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Charles

Post by Guest »

try hitting ctrl-s to permanently write the revised ratings to your songs and then sync.
charlesgoodman

Post by charlesgoodman »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no luck with Ctrl-S. I just can't seem to get any ratings to transfer after the initial synch.

I wiped out all the music from the iTouch and resynched it from scratch. Tried changing ratings on the computer and on the iTouch. No ratings transferred.

Any more ideas would be appreciated. I realize it's still in Beta, but I'd really prefer to use MM than iTunes and I'm happy to continue trouble shooting this prob.

Thanks,
Charles
yokev

Post by yokev »

Great suggestion but same situation for me. Ratings still won't sync back from the iPhone to my library even after embedding the ratings by hitting ctrl-s in both places.
wolfzell

Post by wolfzell »

Ctrl-S in MediaMonkey is syncing the database ratings to the tags in the files in your library. I can not see how it should help in any way with the problem that changed ratings on the iPod do not get synced back to the database.

bye
Wolfgang
jiri

Post by jiri »

As I wrote above, anyone having this problem, please create a debug log and e-mail it to me.

Thanks,
Jiri
yokev

Post by yokev »

Thanks, Jiri. Sorry for the silly question but do you just want a step-by-step description of how my library is set up and what I'm doing or is there something more specific in MM for creating a debug log?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

yokev wrote:Thanks, Jiri. Sorry for the silly question but do you just want a step-by-step description of how my library is set up and what I'm doing or is there something more specific in MM for creating a debug log?
See this stickied thread...
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
yokev

Post by yokev »

Thanks for the thread, I'll get crackin'.