Post by superkroll »

AutoDJ is off,

Shuffle is on,

83 Tracks in now playing, approx. 6:25 hrs

MM repeats in 1,5 - 2 hrs 2 or 3 songs until now, and not all were played
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Rusty,
all the music I usually listen to is scanned and stored in two or three folders in my documents, but I always choose tracks from the MM Tree. So usually the path is: Library>Location>Documents>'Name of the folder with my music'.
I was guessing: I set Now Playing to keep all previous tracks. You said that Shuffle plays randomly all the tracks in NP. So, if it's set to keep all the previous tracks, it could be that songs are repeated cause were not deleted from NP.
Could it be so?
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
rusty

Shuffle issue

Post by rusty »

Fraxav,

If Now Playing is set to retain all previously played tracks, it shouldn't make any difference. What might make a difference, though, is how you've configured 'Play Now'. i.e. if 'Play Now' is not configured to clear the Now Playing list, then whenever you 'Play Now' a directory, the tracks will be _added_ to Now Playing, and MM will randomly select from tracks in Now Playing (including from the tracks that were in NP prior to the addition of your new directory).

One other possibility: if you press 'Stop' during playback of your list? Doing so would trigger a reset of the shuffle.

Superkroll,
Are you certain that their aren't any dups in the list of 83 tracks?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss...

-Rusty
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

No, I know that a stop would reset it all. I'm talking about non-stop playbacks.
Play now is set to delete tracks and play selected + subsequent. In party mode it's set to play only selected tracks, but I never use party mode.

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Does Pausing or Skipping tracks affect the Shuffle function?
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Don't think so...but it wasn't me writing the code :)

rusty

skipping / pause and shuffle

Post by rusty »

Neithing skipping nor pause should have any effect.

:-?

-Rusty
Bex

Post by Bex »

Can it be related to filetype and/or path case inconsistencies? I mean where and how does MM store that a song has been played?
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Mizery_Made

Re: skipping / pause and shuffle

Post by Mizery_Made »

rusty wrote:Neithing skipping nor pause should have any effect.

:-?

-Rusty
I didn't expect that they would, however it was about the only thing I could think of that I do that MIGHT effect it somehow.
Wotan

Post by Wotan »

Rusty,

Praxav is right on the money, here. I'm a Gold user, using ver 3.0.3.1155 all day at work. My staff and I frequently notice songs from a playlist repeating within the same hour, even when the playlist has hundreds of songs in it. Occasionally we even get a "three-peat".

I'll tell you what it SEEMS like. It seems like the "random" list is being re-generated EVERY TIME A SONG IS PLAYED. This would explain why songs repeat far more often than they should.

You're implying that if I had a playlist of 100 songs, and double-clicked on a song to start the shuffle, every one of the 100 songs should play once before any are repeated. This, of course, is how it SHOULD work.

I never press STOP during the day, but occasionally will SKIP to the next song. I have AUTO-DJ ON, but that should only take effect when all the songs have been played! Right? Praxav has AUTO-DJ OFF and it still happens.

The flip side of this problem is that there are dozens of songs in a 500-song playlist that NEVER get played, no matter how long the player is on, and no matter how many days you start with that playlist. I mean that I start almost every day with the SAME playlist, on shuffle, and there are dozens of songs in that playlist that NEVER get played unless I actually click on them. In a truly random shuffle this would not occur.

There must be a limit to how many songs can be shuffled. Could it be that the maximum is 128? 256? That could explain it.
-- Wotan

Dell XPS 410, Windows 7 Home Premium, M-Audio Firewire 410, MM ver 3.2.3 gold, HTC Rezound, Sony Walkman NWZ-S765 16GB
superkroll

Post by superkroll »

Then the maximum has to be very low! I had 80 songs in now playing and MM repeats some of them when not all were already played!
jiri

Post by jiri »

No, there definitely isn't any maximum. Each played track is flagged and can't repeat until all other tracks are played (or at least tried to be played - in case they are e.g. inaccessible).

That said, since there are such error reports, there certainly can be some problem. There was Auto-DJ mentioned, do you all have it turned on? Could you e.g. try to delete MediaMonkey.ini (back it up beforehand) so that there isn't anything non-standard setting?

Jiri
big d

Re: 1170: Shuffle doesn't shuffle

Post by big d »

i also have the same problem as others are reporting and theres no question something isn't functioning as it should or the script needs to be modified to work regardless, this is the mode of choice for me (shuffle), i even activated the "last played track" option thinking mm would use that as a reference and still nothing but repeats, ive tried all the settings differently and started from scratch again only to hear the same 100 or less songs over and over again,

i've even formatted my drive several times in the last 2 years, i'm a gold member and have version 3.0.3.1175 but that doesn't matter either because this has been happening since i first purchased MM about 2 years ago and have installed no less than 8 versions since, some being beta 3 as it progressed, i have one folder containing all 12,000 songs and i play my music using my ratings option which i always listen to my top rated songs (5) star which contains over 900.. nine hundred songs and i am pretty sure i only hear about 100 songs repeated over again everytime it seems,

and to hear the same song within 15 mins or so is common, if i continually skip each song over and over again when it starts i will hear repeat after repeat within as little as 20 songs or so almost like clock work, i suppose i/we could still be doing something wrong but if any moderators or even steegy who i've worked with before and is very knowledgeable about script writing and the such could look into it and let us know where the problem lies i for one would be pleased to hear those songs i forgot i had and love to hear unless i physically search for them, thanks for any help in advance
superkroll

Post by superkroll »

MM 1183 plays some directorys more often than other.

Out of over 300 directorys MM sometimes shuffles only between 3 directorys by 5 or 6 songs in a row. Plays different songs, ok, but not every time as mentioned.
big d

Post by big d »

you may be right but i don't fully understand what you are saying or how you use MM, although i fully understand the problem i'm having and as i stated before "i have all 12,000 songs in one folder" and always play top rated songs (5 star) only, always, period.
it seems to be different than your problem and how you use MM, or whatever sub folders you have created and/or use,

in 1 week i've heard the same songs over 10 to 20 times of 100 or so songs out of 900 + songs, and every once in a while i will actually hear a song i have not heard in weeks or months and most songs i haven't heard period, so because you don't have the same problem and seem to be using MM in a different way i guess that doesn't help those of us who are, downplaying others actual first hand experiences and making excuses never fixed anything !!!!!, i'm happy for you to hear your not having the same problem as we seem to be,

as a matter of fact i'm sick and tired of hearing too many songs repeated hour after hour day after day, just assume for a moment if you will that we have nothing to gain by lying or making up something that doesn't exist, and it also seems you are the only one so far not having the same or similar problems so your opinion seems a little biased, solutions would be more useful than opinions,
please don't take offense as i'd like to think i am speaking for others that we are only seeking relevant responses to factual/actual technical difficulties, to the best of our knowledge.