File Monitor Memory Leak

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

jvian

File Monitor Memory Leak

Post by jvian »

I've been using Media Monkey for a long time. I have a pretty large music collection (27000+ files, over 130GB) located on a TB networked drive. The File monitor never had problems when I had my collection scattered amongst several drives but since I consolidated my collection onto one drive every time I start up Media Monkey and the File Monitor does it's startup scan Media Monkey will crash. It will scan tracks for a while slowly using more and more memory until the computer runs out of memory and Media Monkey crashes. It usually crashes somewhere in the neighborhood of using 650-700MB of memory. This happens on the stable release, beta 3.0.3.1164, beta 3.0.3.1170, and beta 3.0.3.1177. I cleared my library thinking maybe my DB was corrupted but it still crashes with a clean DB. I tried on 3 different computers all have the same problem (even the computer with the collection on it). If I disable the startup scan it won't crash as it is not scanning the directory unless something changes while it's running. I'm not sure what to do other than to ask for help. All systems I tested on are running XP with a gig of ram and 2 gig of virtual memory.

Thanks,
Jeff
rusty

file monitor network scanning issue

Post by rusty »

Jeff,

I just posted build 1179 to the beta forum. Can you generate a debug log of this problem so that we can see what is going on under the hood?

Instructions for a debug log appear at 4b at:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341

If the log is large (I expect it will be), please send via yousendit.com.

Thx.

-Rusty

rs aatt mediamonkey
+dot+
com
jvian

Post by jvian »

Will do.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

I notice it when analyzing the volume of a bunch of M4A files. I've submitted the report. My memory usage usually skyrockets to 1.8+gb before I get loads of out of memory popups.
tooscaredtotry

Post by tooscaredtotry »

Thought I'd add that I get the same thing with 1164 (23k tracks, starts at 60MB and will be 4-500MB if I let it sit for a while).. though I don't really mind :P
jvian

Post by jvian »

Well, I solved the problem and it apparently was a bad file or something. I've been dumping my old MP3s into a directory called unsorted and then going into MediaMonkey and fixing tags and downloading album art etc. I cut the directory while media monkey was not running before I loaded the debug version. I loaded the debug version and ran MediaMonkey to create the log but the problem never appeared. When I put the directory back in my collection directory that the file monitor scans still the memory issue didn't crop back up so unfortunately my logs are pretty much useless. I'm guessing it might have been an issue analyzing a track in that directory but since I cut the directory before I installed the debug version I guess I'll never know. Sorry. But on the bright side MediaMonkey is working great again and using even less memory than it was before normally. Only thing I did notice was when I cut the directory I had one directory in the folder throw an error saying it was still in use even though MediaMonkey was closed on all computers so none of them should have been trying to access the directory. It still pasted the files in the directory fine but it just wouldn't delete the directory out of my unsorted directory during the cut and paste.
jwaldron232

Memory Leak

Post by jwaldron232 »

I had the same problem with having a huge memory leak. I even upgraded to build 1179 to make sure. I ended up fixing it by taking out my folder from the file monitor, restarting MM, then I added the folder back in along with clearing all the file types to monitor except for MP3 and WMAs. Could this be an issue with a file type? All I have are mp3 and wma files, so I couldn't test if it was an individual file.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Definitely let us know should you find any particular file causing the problem.

Thanks,
Jiri
jwaldron232

Not so fast...

Post by jwaldron232 »

Didn't work. Just kicked into a file monitor scan, and the memory jumped. Going to have to keep the monitor off until a fix comes out. This is KILLING my machine performance!
rusty

File monitor problem

Post by rusty »

I haven't received any debug logs for this issue. If you can reproduce it, please send a debug log my way.

Thx.

-Rusty

EDIT: I have tested this and cannot replicate this issue. The only thing that I do observe is that memory utilization goes up with each additional track added to a view, however, this occurs whether 50,000 tracks are in a view or 50,000 tracks are being added to a view by the File Monitor.
Last edited by rusty on Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

Rusty, I send 3 via the automated prompt. I don't know where they are stored on the computer if you didn't get them that way.