Multiple artists separator doesn't work [#5529]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

aprzybylo

Multiple artists separator doesn't work [#5529]

Post by aprzybylo »

I use "&" each time I want to tag a song with multiple artists. However in some cases I have "artist1 & artist2" entry in artist node and in some case they're split correctly. Is it desired behavior and if so how can I make it work to have it one way or another (I still would like to tag in some cases as one artist)
Mizery_Made

Re: Multiple arists.

Post by Mizery_Made »

"Artist 1 & Artist 2" shouldn't be split in any case unless you have set it up in Options to use " & " as the splitter and not "; ". If you want " & "to be your splitter than you can set that up in the Appearance area of the options, but " & "will always be split. There's really no way to split some files and not others if you're using the same character to designate multiple artists in them. If you leave the splitter as "; ", then you could use that one artists you want to be split, while using " & " on ones you don't. Not really sure what else to tell you. :\
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

That was exactly my understanding. However I have " & " set as splitter and in some cases I still see "Artist1 & Artist2" as the entry in Artist node.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Is there maybe an extra space in there, like "<space><space>&<space>"? I'm not sure how Monkey would handle this situation.
mistresso

Post by mistresso »

I wouldn't recommend using '&' anyway - seems to be asking for trouble. Much of the time when you get CD information from the internet (amazon, freedb, etc), artists that have a conjoined name - such as "Little Anthony and the Imperials" - will come back as "Little Anthony & the Imperials". Note tho, that this DOESN'T indicate 2 different artists!

What you want for a delimitter is a character that has little to NO chance of ever being used in a band name.
rusty

Re: Multiple artists separator doesn't work [NOTREP]

Post by rusty »

Anyone else observing this issue? I can't reproduce it.

-Rusty
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

Import new song that has "artist1 & artist2" as artist with " & " set as separator.
It will import as "artist1 & artist2" as artist, after manual update it's ok i.e 2 separate artists.
rusty

Post by rusty »

To get & to work correctly on a rescan, you have to enter the separator with spaces. e.g. _&_ (where _ is a space).

This is a usability bug, but the workaround is clear. Tracked at: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5467

-Rusty
aprzybylo

Re: Multiple artists separator doesn't work [#5467]

Post by aprzybylo »

That exactly what I have: the separator is set to "_&_" (with _ meaning spaces). If I import with this setting it`s imported as one artist (with &). I have to edit this song and re-enter the artist field.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Got it and I can reproduce. Looking into this.

Thanks.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Ok, so the reason for this is that this setting only determines how MM represents tags with split attributes. i.e. changing the setting from ';' to '&' won't cause MM to all of a sudden split the tags of all tracks with '&'. To split the tags, you have to _actively_ make a change to the track's tag.

See the bug if this is unclear, and if it's still unclear, let me know.

-Rusty
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

I understand that if I change the delimiter it doesn't affect the current entries in the database. However if I import new song then I would expect that it works accordingly to my current setting, i.e. artists should be separated.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Importing a new song will split the artists appropriately IFF the track is tagged as having multiple artists. But if a track is tagged as 'U2;BB King' and is saved as a single artist (called 'U2;BB King' in the tag, would it really make sense for MM to split the Artists on a scan?

-Rusty
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

what do you mean file was tagged as having multiple artist? I import the file that has never been in my library before. I think i would then expect to split that file.
Also, since some artists stay not splited is there a way to "unsplit" one selection.
rusty

Re: Multiple artists separator doesn't work [#5529]

Post by rusty »

I see your point. Our rationale for the current behavior is based on MM's philosophy of maintaining consistency between the tags and the DB, and never making changes to tags unless that was clearly the user's intent.

So in your example, if Track1 has Artist tag="Artist1|Artist2" and separator = |, then when the user scans the track, MM should read it _exactly_ as it appears in the tag i.e. as a single artist called "Artist1|Artist2". The only time MM should show an Artist field as split is when it scans a track that has a tag that is actually split (in the manner specified by ID3 or vorbis tagging standards).

The workaround in your situation is to change the Artist field from Artist1|Artist2 to Artist1-Artist2 and then back to Artist1|Artist2 (assuming | is the separator). I realize that this might be confusing, but I'm afraid that the alternative (see http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5529 ) could be more dangerous. I welcome additional feedback, but expect that 3.1 will roll out the door as is (in terms of this feature), and we'll make improvements in subsequent releases.

-Rusty