1343: out_WASAPI - glitch when tagging playing track [#7327]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

thebertster

1343: out_WASAPI - glitch when tagging playing track [#7327]

Post by thebertster »

Using out_WASAPI.dll, modifying the currently playing track's properties (e.g. by adjusting the track's rating) causes the audio to glitch with playback appearing to jump back a second or so. Happens with exclusive mode enabled or disabled and adjusting the buffer size doesn't appear to make any difference. Problem does not occur using out_MMDS.dll.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit - Creative X-Fi Titanium
rusty

Re: 1343: out_WASAPI - glitch when tagging playing track [#7

Post by rusty »

rusty

Post by rusty »

I can no longer reproduce this in 1350. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

-Rusty
thebertster

Post by thebertster »

I thought this had stopped happening for me a few builds ago but in 1355 I am definitely still getting the same problem when I change the rating on the track that is playing. The playback seems to jump back a second or so but the track timer doesn't appear to change (i.e. it continues counting up with no glitches). If I have "Smooth Seek" enabled in the WASAPI properties, then the glitch is smoothed; if "Smooth Seek" is disabled, the glitch is sharp. It is sounds exactly like what you would get if you seeked ("sought"?) back a second manually.

From some testing, the problem seems to be much more pronounced with MP3 tracks encoded with VBR (I use the "High Quality+" VBR preset). I've tried a few tracks that were encoded with CBR and I seem to get a much smaller glitch (perhaps a 10th of a second) the first time I rate a track but subsequent re-ratings cause no glitch. With VBR tracks, the glitch happens every time I change the rating and is a jump of about a second or so. Maybe I thought it had been fixed because I was playing a CBR track?

All tracks are on a local disk on a fairly high-spec system. My sound card is a PCI Express Audigy X-Fi with the latest drivers on Windows 7 32-bit SP1. I have absolutely no other problems with audio playback in MM or any other program.
A User

Post by A User »

I confirm this happens for me, too, but with all builts of MM4.
thebertster

Post by thebertster »

Having done some more testing, it seems the problem manifests itself when the sample rate (either the default sample rate for the system for applications in shared mode, or the exclusive mode settings in the WASAPI plugin if that is being used) differs from the sample rate of the media.

For example, my default global system settings are set to "24-bit, 48000Hz (Studio Quality)". If I playback a 44.1KHz MP3, I get the glitch. If I set the sample rate to 44.1KHz (16-bit or 24-bit doesn't matter) either globally or within exclusive mode, I do not get the glitch.

Seems strange that differences in the resampling process can cause such a major glitch to occur upon tagging. I can't believe there's a significant difference in the amount of either CPU or disk activity going on either way... :-?
thebertster

Post by thebertster »

Is the bug for this going to be reopened? Rusty?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I can't reproduce the problem anymore in 1355.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.