back to MM4 but still various issues [#8314]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

WimYogya

back to MM4 but still various issues [#8314]

Post by WimYogya » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:44 am

Hello,

After having used MM3 to clean up the major parts of my messed up big 95.000+ library, I am now back in MM4 again.
Seems it works better than before, but I still have a number of issues - with MM4.beta 1416:
● often very high CPU and memory usage, not clear what for
● often very slow in loading my entire library, can take up to 7 mins, every new tab takes up to 7 mins again
● often problems with multiple edits: a litterally neverending cascade of error messages pops up saying that there is not enough storage to complete this task. no clue what it means. no memory space? (perhaps) - no disk space? (enough available). what to do?
● during multiple edits the dropdown lists are often completely empty, or it takes ages before they are filled
● during multiple edits MM often stops working: I cannot apply or cancel or close the property box, have to force the windows task manager to close MM - and must restart, search for the edited tracks and do the edits again - they have not been stored
● after having done multiple edits (even limited amounts, for instance a 20 track cd) it takes ages before MM has stored the data. Till that has been done, no other activity is possible. If I was playing a song that track continues till the end, then the last 5 seconds of the track are continuously repeated, till finally the storage process is completed, then the next track plays.
● very often still the edit properties window is hidden behind the main screen
● too often on various occasions MM4 hangs and forced close down is the only option then
● this is only part of the trouble list, I will inform you about other issues when and if they happen again

Because I have the feeling much problems are caused by memory issues, I often close almost all my other applications when using MM, especially during mass editing.
That sometimes improves the performance, but not completely a all.

Last time Rusty checked my MM4.db and found various issues that helped him improve MM4.
If you want to do it again with the newer, bigger MM4.db, then let me know, Rusty.
Seems there is still a lot of work to do...
Goodluck!
Wim - 67 - Dutchman in Yogyakarta/Indonesia
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary

WimYogya

My list of new and old MM4 issues is growing

Post by WimYogya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:39 am

No one reacted on my previous list of MM4 issues. Unusual... Holiday time?
In the meantime my list of issues and problems grows. Please clarify or at least: check out what needs MM enhancements and bugfixes.
● 1036 duplicates had to be removed, nothing happened, action bar kept saying: removing file 1 of 1036 for minutes... - even with priority highest - had to terminate and restart
● ripping settings were not properly saved: every time new folder/save destination, new preferences. most likely it is result of program crashes so that the .ini file is not saved. again i ask (like many others) for autosave feature, since too many crashes still cause too much trouble.
● even simple single edits often require a lot of time or keep hanging or the application crashes with error messages like 'error executing sql statement "begin exclusive": sql logic error or missing database (1,1)' Abacadabra for me.
● while removing 400 files I tried to delete 1 single track in a separate task. the result: the removal process stopped at 200, the single file was not deleted, MM hang and was flashing all the time, disappearing and appearing on screen again. cpu usage 100%., only forced exit possible
● while ripping a cd: several times error messages like: file xxx.mp3 was not successfully created, no idea why not and what the result is...
● while doing a complete db cleanup: error message 'there was a problem querying the database. access violation at address 05206B8D in module 'sqlite3MM.dll'. Read of addrewss 00000039'. What does it mean? What to do? canel/retry/ignore only leads to endless messages w same content. forced exit possible only. start cleanup from the beginning?
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary

PetrCBR

Re: My list of new and old MM4 issues is growing

Post by PetrCBR » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:19 am

Try to maintain your library (File/Maintain library and choose complete database optimization).

WimYogya

Re: back to MM4 but still various issues

Post by WimYogya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:55 am

I just did that, and at the very first task after a fresh start with the clean db, there was this neverending cascade again of error messages saying that a thread could not be created due to lack of storage space. So I guess the trouble is not (only) in my DB but in MM4 as well...

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 am

It is unusual to experience so many issues even with so large DB. Could you ZIP or RAR it and send it us so that I could analyze/replicate/fix the issues?

WimYogya

Post by WimYogya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 am

@ludek: i sent you a private message

In the meantime: 2 more issues, it doesn't seem to stop:
● While normal editing 1 by 1: nothing happened anymore, after a long waiting time an error message 'Access violation at address 00AB5412 in Module Mediamonkey.exe. Read of address 2800000C.
● While normal editing 1 by 1: error message Access Violation at address 000000000. Read of address 000000000 - strangely enough this happened while I was renaming all the titles of a freshly ripped/imported cd where ALL the track titles/artists were wrong! The music had all been imported, but the wrong track info had been attached

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 am

Hi, I analyzed your DB and I must say I cannot replicate almost any of your issues.

The DB seems to be fresh, fast.
When I select the 'Music' node then the 87000 tracks are loaded in 3 seconds to the tracklist.
If I do a multiple edits (changing artist for 1000 tracks at once) it is processed in several seconds too.

Difference is that in my case the info isn't written to file tags, because I am missing the drive where the tracks are physically located. But I don't think it is a tag writing related issue.
I only observed that because it is a chinese DB it contains many non-standard characters and maybe this could somehow cause problems when creating a file/ripping (I noticed some illegal characters included, e.g. album = '● unknown ●')

On which drive are the tracks physically located? HDD or removable?
I guess that the troubles are somehow related to either corrupted MM install or computer. Which computer do you use? I mean which CPU, RAM, OS? I tested on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4000+, 4GB RAM, Win XP SP2.
The other apps runs flawlessly on you computer?

It would be valuable to catch a video (e.g. by using Jing) demonstrating the issue so that I could see what happens and how to reproduce it .
Make sure you are testing the newest build (1422).

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:26 am

Btw. I've reproduced an Accass Violation when editing 7000 tracks at once (all tracks from you Classical Music collection)

WimYogya

Post by WimYogya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:47 am

Hi Ludek,

Strange that the DB is so fast/smooth on your system and so slow/problematic on mine.
A few answers to your remarks:
● My db is not Chinese at all... I only ripped one or two cd's with chinese characters and one with thai characters. As soon as I figure out how to transliterate them, I will do so. You think I should anyhow remove the Chinese text NOW already to speed things up?
● About my computer: see my signature
● MM is installed on my C drive, the MM.db is there too - but the files are on a removable HDD. Should/could/can I install MM on the same external HD where the files are? Is that better for performance? If the program itself is installed in C:\Program Files, how about the MM.db location? Should/could/can that be installed on the external HD?
● All other applications run smoothly on my computer, but if I use MM I cannot run any other 'big' application at the same time
● You said you load the 87000 tracks (should be 96000) in 3 seconds - for me it always takes minutes, also when I open a new tab the entire library takes 3-7 minutes to be loaded completely.
● I like the 'illegal' character ● for all kinds of purposes and use it a lot, for ● unknown ● artists/titles/albums - and especially in the comment field that I use for a sort of personal tags (country of origin, original language, sub-category etc, they often look like this: ● english ● usa ● musical ● complete ● - there are 50.000+ of those comment fields. you think it slows down the speed a lot and i better replace all ● with another character like = or + ?
● I dont feel familiar at all with Jing or another video capture program. For the time being I would not like to add new programs (and possible problems) to my long list. But who knows, in the future.
● You did not come across any bug or problem that had to be fixed, so I can continue with my own db?
Thanks for checking!

WimYogya

Post by WimYogya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 am

Ludek wrote:Btw. I've reproduced an Accass Violation when editing 7000 tracks at once (all tracks from you Classical Music collection)
What does such Access Violation indicate?
What to do?

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 am

I don't think that ● or a chinese character could cause a performance issue. Continue using them. I only meant that some characters like *,? cannot be part of a filename and thus such a file cannot be created then.

I would really like to get to bottom of this, especially the performance issues are very unusual as your DB isn't so large and on my system everything is smooth.
For now, please generate debug log using the DbgView app ( http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341 ) and 1422 debug ( http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/MediaMo ... _Debug.exe ) so that I could see what slows the things down.

WimYogya

Post by WimYogya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 am

@ludek:
Just installed beta 1422 & debug, but...
Now my Windows Task Manager says I have a NON SKINNED VERSION, and indeed: changing the skin is not possible. Is that related to the debug version?
That also means I have a complete white browsing screen with no grid lines (which complicates navigating).Which is supposed to be the default skin for MM4? How can I install it?
It does seem that the loading process of my library is faster but this is just first impression.

So?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 am

Tools > Options > Skins and disable Override Skin theme with Windows System theme and then restart MediaMonkey.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

WimYogya

Post by WimYogya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

Can multitasking create problems?
I had to edit 3000 fields with RegExp Find & Replace, was working well till I started ripping a cd. Then the field editing was interrupted till finally the ripping was done, then the editing continued.
But later I found that 4 of the ripped tracks were dead links, had to re-import them again.
That failed: after 3 of the 4 tracks were converted, the ripping process 'hang' forever. With high CPU and memory usage, but with no CD drive activity (no light blinking).
Terminating the ripping task was impossible, ejecting the cd did not change the task.
When I finally stopped MM, I found (again!) hidden error messages, hidden behind the main window.
One said that 1 of the files was not successfully created.
The other error message said that another file, track 15's temp file, could not be deleted, access denied, may not enough rights or in use.
Removing or closing these error messages was impossible: none of the options was accepted, nor did the x button work.
Only forced shutdown of MM made them disappear.

@ludek:
Maybe you should experiment a bit with my DB file in combination with ripping cd's?

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 am

So your computer is sluggish only when you are ripping a CD? Otherwise you don't observe performance issues?
Maybe changing Options->Performance->Use multiple CPU cores->Ripping from [All] to [1]
and Priority for background tasks to [Lower] or [Lowest] could help.