Auto-organize creates folder named 'unknown'

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

cazzzac

Auto-organize creates folder named 'unknown'

Post by cazzzac »

I'm getting the same issue with the latest developer beta of MediaMonkey 4.0.0.1435

i have around 20 albums in the Unknown directory after using Auto-Organize. As mentioned previously, the fix to get auto-organize to work is to delete the Album Artist field and re-enter the data. Definitely should be fixed for the RC.
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split moved to correct sub-forum
nohitter151

Re: Auto-organize creates folder named 'unknown'

Post by nohitter151 »

1436 is the latest build, so make sure you're up to date.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rusty

Post by rusty »

i have around 20 albums in the Unknown directory after using Auto-Organize. As mentioned previously, the fix to get auto-organize to work is to delete the Album Artist field and re-enter the data. Definitely should be fixed for the RC.
I'm not sure what this is referring to. Auto-organize is working as expected in 1436.

-Rusty
gaff_l

Post by gaff_l »

I have a similar problem with RC 1459.
I've just installed it and a significant number of albums in the database that have the Album Artist in the tag field are still showing as "Unknown" in the Summary (Art View) field.
The only fix I can find is to change the Album Artist name, save the file, and then change it back to the correct name.
floydaites

Post by floydaites »

I had the same issue, had to re-type the artist name then it worked.
gnarlsagan

Post by gnarlsagan »

This problem exists in the most recent release. Auto-organize moves a very significant portion of my library to an "Unknown" folder when in fact all of the information is present in the tags of every file. I deleted the database and rescanned, but it didn't fix the problem. The "Unknown" folder is still populated with a huge number of files in their respective album titled folders.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

gnarlsagan wrote:This problem exists in the most recent release. Auto-organize moves a very significant portion of my library to an "Unknown" folder when in fact all of the information is present in the tags of every file. I deleted the database and rescanned, but it didn't fix the problem. The "Unknown" folder is still populated with a huge number of files in their respective album titled folders.
There are several million posts about this issue already. It is because you are missing the album artist tag for your files. 3

See this post with a full explanation:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... wn#p321229

gnarlsagan

Post by gnarlsagan »

Awesome thanks. Maybe there should be a sticky? I have to edit about 6000 files now.
abharkl

Post by abharkl »

Actually most of us were not missing any of the meta-tagging data. The auto-organize just screwed up the library when converting. Just admit the fault, fix it, and move on. Since the majority were MM3 users prior and the library's were auto-organized and tagged prior. It is a problem. I don't know why people pretend its not. Its obnoxious.

Why was the library converted anyway? What was wrong with the current version used in MM3?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

abharkl wrote:Actually most of us were not missing any of the meta-tagging data.
Are you sure about that? Did you check the column in MM rather than just look in the track properties?

shadowfist

Post by shadowfist »

Just had this issue, all tracks in question had the "album artist" tag when viewing the file properties, but they failed to display the album artist in the library when i turned on the column view.
the interesting bit is that I tried deleting the album artist repeatedly and it wouldn't remove the artist (it still wasn't displayed in the column but would show again when viewing the track properties. I had to delete the artist, and retype the name in the box for it to finally update in the album artist column.

anyway. yes the track was somehow missing the metadata but it wasn't at the same time. time to check how many of my albums are affected.... yup, all the old tracks are fine, the issue is with EVERY track that I have added since upgrading to mm4 from mm3.