iOS5/10.5 blocking release?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

PhYrE

iOS5/10.5 blocking release?

Post by PhYrE »

The testing thread suggests that MM4 is likely going to be released as is.
Is 10.5 and iOS5 not being compatible not enough of a reason to block the release so ensure the user experience is perfect when new users install the first version of MM4?

There doesn't seem to be any mention of it.
jiri

Re: iOS5/10.5 blocking release?

Post by jiri »

Supporting iOS5 is a tough job, Apple makes it as hard as possible. Thus we aren't sure when this will be ready and so it isn't possible to wait. An update will definitely be released as soon as the support is completed though.

Jiri
PhYrE

Post by PhYrE »

Thanks- documenting this well will likely save some user experience negativity.

I'm finding it's not even showing up with my iPhone 4S at this point in the list.

-M
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

PhYrE wrote:Thanks- documenting this well will likely save some user experience negativity.

I'm finding it's not even showing up with my iPhone 4S at this point in the list.

-M
There's already an announcement on the front page of the website.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
btcarcass

Post by btcarcass »

Is there a rough ETA for ios5 synch support? I understand there's no guarantees, but I'm just looking for an idea of if this is going to be a matter of another couple weeks, or many month before it's working.

If it's going to be another week or two, I'll just wait with no music on my new phone for a while longer. But if it's definitely going to be longer than that, I need to figure out a new way to manage synching my music.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Native synch support doesn't have an ETA yet. In the meantimetime, though, iPhone sync is available via the iTunes Device Plugin.

-Rusty
BJE

Post by BJE »

The plugin is not so good when you have lot of music to sync. Am currently attempting to sync 55GB to my iTouch (64GB with ios5 and via plugin + iTunes 10.5) and its taking forever... In fact this is my 3rd attempt ...the first two failed.

Makes you appreciate just how good it was when the direct sync was working in MM !
cdechert

Post by cdechert »

I check back here every other week to find out if MediaMonkey with support to iOS is already out. I can only imagine how difficult it must be considering Apple tries very hard to prevent that from happening.
In the meantime, I'm using an application - although VERY inferior to MediaMonkey in a thousand ways - does the job of copying files into iPhone with iOS 5.

I'm not here to advertise it, nor I work for them, I just try to help out users with the same problem as me.

You can delete this post if you feel it's off-topic, I won't be offended.

The app name is CopyTrans Manager. Google it, I won't put the download link, cuz that would be a little to much.

Keep up the good work. I will still check back here often, cuz I really miss using MM to manage my iPhone's music files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can also do it from within MediaMonkey with the MediaMonkey iTunes plugin: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=61107
TomBrown

Post by TomBrown »

The plugin is 'OK' but it is a very poor substitute for the support that MediaMonkey used to offer.

All my music is ripped from the original CDs in flac and just being able to drage and drop (immediate backgraound conversion) without creating extra copies to store locally is so much more convenient if you have a big music collection.

Like a poster above, it would be good to know if MM are still working on this or believe it won't be possible.

No other product offers what MM used to offer - an easy transparant drag and drop process. If I have to I will probably learn how to use the plugin but it is going to be beyond my wife and kids which means I'm going to be swamped by demands for sorting out their portable music :cry:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

mgillespie

Post by mgillespie »

Perhaps MM should dump Apple support, as clearly Apple don't want users using anything other than itunes, an spend all their time preventing that happening. It also means MediaMoney as a product has stalled, with developers wrestling to keep it working.

I mean really, was ANYONE naive enough to buy and Apple product and expect it to work with anything non-Apple? Apple are the kings of proprietary, and do so to ensure that users are lockedin.
TomBrown

Post by TomBrown »

I am aware of the official thread on this but there has been no update for six weeks. As Kos says in the other thread "radio silence is seldom a wise strategy".

I fully appreciate that there is no way to know when MM is going to have a solution but maybe an update every few weeks to say it is still being worked on would be helpful?

Thanks for the links lowlander, at least I got the answer I needed (if not wanted ;)) much more useful than mgillespie's contribution which added no useful information while he indulged in an anti-Apple rant. How helpful!
Glenn Wagner

Post by Glenn Wagner »

I updated to IOS 5 before updating to MM4 from MM3. If the MM4 download site had warned of the incompatibility I would never have upgraded. Now I'm stuck with software that doesn't do the job. I refuse to install Itunes so I am stuck without a method to get music to my iphone. I have used MM since the very early days as it is the best software in the field. However I think it was a big marketing mistake to release ver 4 without support for a device as popular as iPhone 4 and 4s. MM could at least provide some rough idea of how long before IOS5 would be supported natively 3 -6 months, two years, never?